Two dead in a motor glider crash Mt Beauty Vic 27/04/2024

Two people were killed when a motor glider crashed at Mt Beauty in Victoria's north eastern highlands. The deceased passenger was a female, no further details at this time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

From what I saw on the news, it could have been a Diamond HK36 Super Dimona. This is not confirmed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, walrus said:

Does the pilot live at.  mt. Beauty? i believe there is one gentleman there with a motor glider.

Aircraft from Bacchus Marsh...

On the TV this morning, they reported that the flight was to spread the ashes of a deceased relative of the female passenger.

• Sad 4

Nice looking aircraft.

I would have expected a glider to be able to make at least a survivable "out landing" - inflight breakup/fire???

Wikipedia says the stall speed is 39 Knots -  seems high for a glider, even my Sonex with little stubby wings stalls at 37 Knots (full flap)

My reason for mentioning stall speed - in general, the lower the stall the better the chance of survival.

Police said the pilot was a 73-year-old man from Plenty and the pair were the only people on board the aircraft.  -   ABC News.

Channel 7 said he was the father of 3, a builder, CFA firefighter and gliding instructor.

7 hours ago, red750 said:

On the TV this morning, they reported that the flight was to spread the ashes of a deceased relative of the female passenger.

Wonder how they planned to do that in an aircraft with gullwing doors?

I've done the same thing from the RV with the tip-up canopy, but not from within the cabin, rather, from a pod bolted under the wing.

6 pm news advise his name was Greg Wanless. A witness said the plane was on approach when it pitched up, then suddenly pitched down and hit the ground.

The Mt Beauty strip is operated as 1-way because of the embankment  on the town end. It could have happened that approach was mis- judged and attempt made to go around. I dunno, just an idle opinion. 

1 hour ago, KRviator said:

Wonder how they planned to do that in an aircraft with gullwing doors?

I've done the same thing from the RV with the tip-up canopy, but not from within the cabin, rather, from a pod bolted under the wing.

Through the window vent no doubt. 

• Like 1