Is there any real place for ADF anymore?

Hi Guys, my new ride has a mix of avionics including a King KR87 ADF. 

I am looking to free up some space in the panel and just wondering if there is any practical use for ADF anymore? Do stations still exist in Australia?  I can't seem them in the ERSA.

To me it just seems to have been a very expensive flight timer.

You can use them on any broadcasting radio station if you know the location of their antenna. King is good stuff. Nev

• Agree 1

Without an ADF radio, how are you going to listen to the cricket ?

For nav. There are plenty of ADF nav beacons around. and they are easy to use.

but if you have a suite of dual GPS systems + VOR, no practical need 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

This is a question better asked of GA IFR pilots. 

For VFR PPL I was told not to touch it but did, and set the frequency of the nearest tall hill and got a signal from a town behind it. Good lesson.

I know I will get shot down but, I wished VOR was still available to the extent it once was…….

• Like 1

I used Microsoft flight simulator to practice using the ADF. Then one day I flew Parafield to Broken Hill using the NDBs. What a hoot!

Thank you for all the comments - and I think that has cemented it for me. I can make much better use of the panel space.

Anyone want a cheap wireless to listen to the cricket?

• Haha 1

Irrelevant nav aid from the last century, Boeing & Airbus no longer have the ADF installed in their a/c, GPS/RNAV/RNP is the way everyone is going including GA for obvious reasons of cost, no flight testing of NAVAID required which causes traffic delays etc.

When a nefarious nation chooses to jam our GPS satellites, we’ll all be rooned !
Ill be sharpening my pencil and winding up my wristwatch in anticipation and I’ve been told you can navigate by occasionally looking out the window.

……and I’ll get a crystal set radio to listen to the cricket. 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, RFguy said:

but "you guys" don't listen to the cricket

What about Macca on Sunday mornings, plus you can phone in and tell all about your flight :plane:🙃😎🤠🤪

When I had my new aircraft in for avionics work I kept the ADF - its a very classic one - for the look ! However it does still work. Flew over Wagga a couple of weeks ago and tried it out for old times sake.

2 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

What about Macca on Sunday mornings, plus you can phone in and tell all about your flight :plane:🙃😎🤠🤪

is Macca still on?

my old man had us listen to it in the car every Sunday on the way to church when I was a kid

24 minutes ago, spenaroo said:

is Macca still on?

my old man had us listen to it in the car every Sunday on the way to church when I was a kid

Yep, listened as I drove to airfield last Sunday.