AVIATION AND MOTORCYCLES

Captain

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CptKelly

Photo?

Photo? I wasn't expecting anyone to ask for a photo. I don't think I've ever taken a photo of my Norton, but next time I'm in NC, I'll snap a few. Its a 1975 model Commando, and I've had it about 7 years. It only has around 5000 original miles on it. I have an extra engine and transmission for this model- they are different- the transmission is a left side shift, and the engine has an electric starter which works quite well. I have added a 2S cam, and higher compression pistons. It is amazingly quick, especially for a undersquare engine, and it loves revs.... up to 7000. As I said before, this old Norton eats my son's 750 beemers alive. It also makes short work out of Harley's. Of course, considering its level of technology, it does not compare in speed to the rice rockets of today, but hey, I don't want to go over 100 anyway. In my opinion, the Norton was the best of the British bikes- not meant to start a flame war-

Mike

Planes & bikes

Cpt Kelly, I wouldn't be revving that Commando to 7000 revs too often. 2 bearing cranks not up to that for long. Tell us about the Smith Kit Supercub & keep your exhaust pipes tightened up on the Norton.

People who own british bikes get all the fun of tinkering with them, that jap bike owners never know so ,you get all the extra knowledge along the way. When you are involved with the machine,as with your aeroplane,you take extra care & go to the trouble of seeking information, to get things right .

Lots of pilots have a passion for mechanical things that move, usually speed related, so I'm not surprised at the number of people who have contributed to this thread. I confess to being a bike nut (having had my first at the age of 10, in 1950,a Waratah, & over 60 since) My last is a 1981 Sportster Harley Davidson, which I bought new, and fitted with a "thunderhead kit" (major mod.) which I still have and still ride mainly on very secondary roads, ( lots of dirt, believe it or not,) "Thanks Ultralights". Try a Buell. They go around corners N.....

Guest CptKelly

Norton and Smith Kit

Ok Guys here goes.

My Smith Kit Supercub has been flying a little over a year now. Its a standard width Supercub set up like a L-21, with all the glass. Visability is wonderful. It is powered by a XP-360 Superior engine, with 1 compression for 185 hp. It weighs 1143 pounds. It will cruise around 115mph at 2400. It takes off in less than 200' and climbs out at 1600 ft/min (at 45mph). It is a complete blast and lots more fun then our Cessna 182. If you have questions, ask away.

As for the Commando: Even though undersquare, the Norton acts as if is a very short stroke engine. It loves revs. I am just amazed at the durability of this engine. I've never seen a Norton with a broken crank, so I reckon revs don't hurt all that much. I have been riding Nortons since 1964, and was really impressed by the G15 Norton/Matchless. It was very fast, and handled well too. I wish I owned one now.

My very first British bike was a Matchless 500 twin. It had a three bearing crank which did break after I added an extra carburetor and different cams.

Mike

Planes & bikes

That was quick, Cpt kelly,

Yeah, they do pump out a lot of power. The motor was very popular with the scramble outfit fraternity here in the Norton-Wasp outfits.(A lot lighter than the Yamaha 650 twin, which was bombproof ) I just don't like revving anything at peak revs, they are not making them new anymore. I think the main concern (no pun intended) with some of the Commando's was the edge oading of the drive side main bearing, due to shaft distortion. I think a modified bearing was supposed to cure that.

The centre bearing in the AJS/Matchy 500 was not the answer. I think it might have had a cast crank. Regards N...

Guest Crash Lander

Don't own any bikes now, but when I was younger and stupider, I had:

Suzuki GSX250FW

Kawasaki GPX 250

Suzuki GSX 250

Honda VFR 750

Not all at once, and most met untimely deaths. The 1st one got stolen and torched, the 2nd one got totaled when a car did a u-turn in front of me (Broken leg and 10 days in hospital as a reward for that one!), 3rd one just wouldn't die no matter what I did to it, and the 4th one over heated and cooked the motor after a 30km/h drop on a gravel road cracked the neck of the radiator. Crack wasn't discovered until it was too late.

Sweetest ride was the VFR750. After market formula one pipes gave it the best note of any bike in my area. Man I loved that machine. oh well. what's done is done.......

Guest Redair
Do you think a couple of pics might be in order ... spanning the years from the ancient to the modern?Captain

Ah, I see a Katana! I too had one, 1100, bored out to 1400, it could fly without wings!!

Now sadly, I'm older and I like my comforts.... BMW K1100LT

Redair

last 2 wheeler owned was half a century ago

Maicoletta 277

and am busy searching for another one.

Davidh

David,

I have a Maicoletta 250cc scooter that I bought many many years ago with the aim of restoring. It had been fitted with a home made sidecar, and came with a spare engine. It's a fascinating design with fuel tank pressurised from the exhaust, and a crank mounted generator that turns into an electric starter.

After 25 years it's still sittting under the house waiting some attention!

Bruce

David,I have a Maicoletta 250cc scooter that I bought many many years ago with the aim of restoring. It had been fitted with a home made sidecar, and came with a spare engine. It's a fascinating design with fuel tank pressurised from the exhaust, and a crank mounted generator that turns into an electric starter.

After 25 years it's still sittting under the house waiting some attention!

Bruce

AND that starter does not rotate the crank the full 360 it just "bounces"

it up against compression until it fires.

If you have any thought of selling it

then please give me a pm

thanks

Davidh

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also owned and rode a comando, many moons ago it was my second road bike, after a honda cbr 750. The comando was all Black with Gold pin striping. Ah!! what a bike , what memories it stirs, to be re-lived again. A sound all of i'ts own, Nothing like my rotax Though. anyway best of luck, Regards LANCE, XC-Buzzard.....

Well Munch I'm with you. A little comfort with the speed does go well.' I currently ride a Kwaka GPZ 900R ninga and although I'm getting older I still love it and get a huge kick out of the Power and great cornering prowess it has. But the older I get , this will probably fade.and Comfort will demand more consideration, ( one day, 0H MY BACK, ) well Munch heres to clear sky every weekend . ies LANCE.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Bushman

A super-Pup fitted with a jab engine and a Triumph 650 1956 thunder bird both top notch

Guest osprey5

There definitely is something in bikes, birds and planes.

I started off with a Suzuki GT Ram Air 250 (the Ram Air bit was important when you were 17), then got a Bonneville T140v 750cc and then moved up to a Honda CB900. Haven't ridden for many years now and working with young lads big into bikes doesn't help. Riding without a helmet on wouldn't be the same now as there's no hair left to blow in the wind :(

Ive had a few bikes in my time 15. in fact all at the one time ,I used to build and race classic bikes BSA Triumph Norton and velos I gave up racing in 1996 when I won the Australian Championship, I quit while I was in front and still had all my body parts , I now ramble around on a 750 MV Agusta and have lots of fun ,Regards Mike