Avmet plain language weather

BPN

No matter what language it is printed in .There are times when it is very wrong. It's mostly formatted in a manner that facilitates fuel requirements for alternates and holding of transports. Don't a lot of the location references use waypoints that are on HAC charts and not well known towns or places. Perhaps put it in (small) PLANE language. Nev

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The domain www.pemet.com.au has now been transferred over to our server...it may take a few days for your ISP to wake up to the change but you can tell which one you are on as pemet on our server has the Recreational Flying logo on the page to differentiate it.In due course it will be integrated into this site so you won't have to leave here however the pemet domain will still operate outside of this site.

Thanks to Ian Boag for giving the files and site to Recreational Flying for all Australian aviators to use and note that we will be enhancing it soon, making it even better, for everyone to use

This was the ONLY response when hitting the translate button

Disclaimer: These translations are not endorsed by Airservices, BOM or CASA.

Does this mean the end of Pemet ? Or operator error?

Phil.

What it means is that the translation of the weather to plain english is not endorsed by anyone and should not be used as an official weather report...so use at your own risk 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

What it means is that the translation of the weather to plain english is not endorsed by anyone and should not be used as an official weather report...so use at your own risk 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Sorry if I wasn't more explicit.

When I hit the translate button after the text was posted, this is all that appeared on the screen.

NO translation appeared

Hope someone can try and verify if they get the same result.

Phil

Guest Maj Millard
Sorry if I wasn't more explicit.When I hit the translate button after the text was posted, this is all that appeared on the screen.

NO translation appeared

Phil

Obviously not ICAO compliant !!.................bloody Ultralighters trying to change things again !!................

Sorry if I wasn't more explicit.When I hit the translate button after the text was posted, this is all that appeared on the screen.

NO translation appeared

Phil

yeah I put that at the beginning on

Na sorry not workingOnly displays message

Just so you know ... those disclaimers were from me and put up before it did the translate.

I figured that since BOM don't guarantee their forecasts, noone guarantees the pig-latin and CASA is not liable for anything I might as well join the CYA team :-)

If the people who write (and pay/get paid for) the source have no liability why should I? It was moved from my host to Ian's but there's no way that should have made any difference.

When you do the paste you should see the tail end of the NAIPS stuff in the paste window. I would guess that there has been a problem with the copy/paste.

Was this done on a PC, an iThing or an Android device?

IB

Now is it just me or should CASA / AA get a kick in the ass for not making these this user friendly in the first place

I think it wouldn't hurt to make a plain english option available on the NAIPs site. They could keep the original coded one for legacy purposes.

On the PEMET translation, if the area briefing has a time of 0Z anywhere in it, PEMET interprets it as "pm am". That could use fixing.

Now is it just me or should CASA / AA get a kick in the ass for not making these this user friendly in the first place

Like I've always said ... a 65-year old Kiwi did this for nix because he could and it seemed like a fun way to pass some time and learn PHP.

Should any public servant feel bad about this? Dunno. Does it affect the length of their smoko break or whether they get paid or the safety of their pensions? :-)

The translations are not ICAO-compliant because there is no ICAO standard for translated weather forecasts ...... Only the gibberish is ICAO-compliant and of course the manufacturers of the gibberish have zilch liability for any of it :-)

I think it wouldn't hurt to make a plain english option available on the NAIPs site. They could keep the original coded one for legacy purposes.On the PEMET translation, if the area briefing has a time of 0Z anywhere in it, PEMET interprets it as "pm am". That could use fixing.

Sorry Scott - I thought I fixed that one.

I've been working in software for long enough to know that when a client says that there is a problem, then there is a problem. Having said that, I've just run through all the procedures I could think of to create the failure being described, and all I could get was either the correct results, or an "incomplete copy/paste" message. When you say that you couldn't progress past the disclaimer, I think that must mean that there is no data being created, because normally the disclaimer is just the first line of the translated weather report that you want. Dunno, but I'll keep thinking...

While I'm at it, Ian, I think that the link into the ARFOR on the PilotTools/Weather page is no longer working now that individual logins are required.

I just tried it again,. I tried to copy and paste using right clicks and then using the control A/C as you outlined. Still after the text copying into the box, press translate and only the warning shows. It is not possible to progress from here as there is nothing else on the page. Thanks

Apology offered. I was attempting to get a location briefing not an area briefing. My mess up.

Will still do a location briefing.

Just make sure that you copy the whole document before pasting.

I created the disclaimer by leaving off the last few lines when copying on my ipad, so should be good if you copy the lot.

Phil.

Yep, just tried a single location briefing (on YSSY - like I'm ever going to fly there 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif) and it did as you said - only showed the warning and nothing else. My guess is that it was written with the structure of the Area Forecast in mind (remembering that it used to collect the data directly so that was fair enough) and that it is not recognising the Location Briefing format.

Now, to be fair to both Ians, the text does say "Click here for NAIPS and get an Area Briefing", but I'll admit that I never noticed that before either. Perhaps either the main page could add an "Area Briefing Only" warning in big friendly letters, or better still if the output contains no data then it could add a note "Sorry, I couldn't find any data to translate in the format I expected. Did you use the Area Forecast?".