Avmet plain language weather

BPN

Guest czechmate

Hello Ian - will your PEMET ever work again? Everyone loves it. Just presume it has gone down due to Air Services here launching a new NAIPS web site.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Ian - will your PEMET ever work again? Everyone loves it. Just presume it has gone down due to Air Services here launching a new NAIPS web site.

It's been a long long time since I did anything on this. It was done as an excuse to learn PHP (the Web scripting language) and I haven't done any of that for a while. I'll put it in my round tuit pile. Ian had a mate who was going to do it properly but I guess that's still coming too.

I suppose that's a reason why people should learn gibberish. Then when BOM or AirServices improve (?) the gibberish presentation and my site dies ......

Sigh.

IB

I got a NAIPS password (again), logged in and had a look. It's not all that bad. When you get to the actual data listing it looks pretty much unchanged.

I will probably revert to what I used to do when I first got into this gibberish/English game .....

You get your briefing from NAIPS - then select and copy the whole screenful (ctrl-A/ctrl-C) - pemet will have a hole you can paste it into (ctrl-V) and a <Translate> button. That's how I did it waaaay back here in Kiwiland when I first got into this. Not as nice as what we had and it will confuse some people .... but it does the job. I shouldn't have to do much to the translation code. Naturally I discarded all the paste-it-in data entry code a long time ago so will have to remember it all again and do it over :-(

Of course if a 67-year old retired Kiwi (living in Kiwiland) can do this in his free time sort of for fun, what does that say about Airservices/BOM with their IT departments, jobs-for-life, fat salaries, pensions-to-die-for and all that? [i suppose you might make allowances for me being clever too :-)]

When I originally did this for Oz I thought it might shame the 'crats into putting me out of business, but it has been several years and it seems they don't do "shame" ....

Just not this week .....

Sigh.

IB

• Like 2

Just not this week ......

Ian - you should add your contact details to the landing page. With so much white-space at the bottom, and with hundreds of Aussie pilots logging-on weekly, if I was looking for a place to advertise to the aviation community I would come knocking at your door! Could make fixing it up worthwhile perhaps?

• 1 month later...

Hi IB,

Happy New Year

Just wondering how you are going getting your Pemet site functioning again?

Lot of people is missing your sensible approach

Cheers

Vev

I got started on it and discovered the format was a bit different so it is taking a bit longer than I thought it would. Then other stuff took priority .... Now I am on holiday waiting for the weather to be all New Yearish and the trout to leap on to my lure and the children to stop bugging me about water-skiing and stuff.

Realistically I'm hoping for end of Jan. Method will be - go to NAIPS - get Area briefin (s) - copy (ctl-A, ctl-C) - go to pemet screen - paste (Ctrl-V) into screen - hit "Xlate" button and job done ....

Cheers

Ian B

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian, just want to say that pemet.com.au is a life saver and good reference for a lot of pilots. I do hope you can get it back running. It would be nice if you could get some $ from it. Maybe you should talk with the oz runways boys.

It probably knows you Tomo.

Once again Ian, thank you for a wonderful service replacing Airservice's system designed for Telex.

There would be many pilots today who were born after the Telex system went out of service.

I got to use it for one year and I'm overjoyed that someone was smart enough to realise it was a crock of sh$t

It was a follow on from the telegram (which even more pilots were born after), a method of sending telegrams from your office.

Prior to that you had three options for an urgent message:

1. post a letter

2. Get in the car, go down to the PMG Office, hand write your message in capitals, charged by the word. It would be delivered by the postie at the other end, or for a suitable urgency fee would be phoned through.

3. At extra cost, phone through the words to the telephone exchange and they would be converted into a telegram.

The Telex console allowed you to key in your message, press send, and the receiving console at the other end would click clack it out, nearly in real time.

Problem was the keyboard had many buttons with many codes to tell the machine what to do, so it took some time using a set of instructions as you typed and keyed, typed and keyed, and they took forever to send.

So Codes were used to save time, and Department of Civil Aviation and the Weather Bureau adopted these.

They killed of morse code, but their successors are caught in a reckless time warp of denial.

I'd be surprised if there was a working Telex left in the Country.

Stay at the beach got extended by a few days as the fish are running so well and grandchildren refuse to go home etc. Plus some deferred house maintenance. End of this month looks a little ambitious but early in Feb should work. I'm keen to get to it, but life has these other pressures ... :-(

• 3 weeks later...
Stay at the beach got extended by a few days as the fish are running so well and grandchildren refuse to go home etc. Plus some deferred house maintenance. End of this month looks a little ambitious but early in Feb should work. I'm keen to get to it, but life has these other pressures ... :-(

The pemet round-tuit is finally happening. Some loose ends - can someone please refresh my memory -about what the 01/04 in Area QNH 01/04 means. We don't have it in NZ ones ..

• Like 4

The pemet round-tuit is finally happening. Some loose ends - can someone please refresh my memory -about what the 01/04 in Area QNH 01/04 means. We don't have it in NZ ones ..

QNH is only given for three hours

• Agree 1

OK experts - I need a bit more help - here is a snip from an ARFOR overview. What are 24Z and 00Z? Both mean "midnight" ....

In this situation, should I decode 24Z as "whatever midnight UTC translates to" and put <tomorrow> or <tomorrow's date>on it. I can do "hhZ" as "24th 11am" all the time. Bit clunky but probably the right thing.

AMEND AREA FORECAST 111700 TO 120500

... E OF MVI/YCOM TILL 24Z, THEN NE OF YWWL/YAS/YMRY AFTER 00Z.

my understanding... yes, they both mean the same thing, and you would use 24Z when you want to mean "midnight tonight" and 00Z meaning "midnight tomorrow morning" - in other words, 24Z means this condition is good until the "end of today" (so not having to change dates). Otherwise, it would be something like "from 14th Feb 1300 - 15th Feb 0000" rather than just saying 14th Feb 1300 - 2400. Not sure how to code that, but i guess if i saw 24 i would keep the same date and 00 i would use tomorrow's?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

my understanding... yes, they both mean the same thing, and you would use 24Z when you want to mean "midnight tonight" and 00Z meaning "midnight tomorrow morning" - in other words, 24Z means this condition is good until the "end of today" (so not having to change dates). Otherwise, it would be something like "from 14th Feb 1300 - 15th Feb 0000" rather than just saying 14th Feb 1300 - 2400. Not sure how to code that, but i guess if i saw 24 i would keep the same date and 00 i would use tomorrow's?

Like it

Makes sense to me.

rgmwa

• 2 weeks later...
Makes sense to me.rgmwa

OK guys. Cut #1 of the new one is all there at www.pemet.com.au.

The HTML is truly ugly because I'm not an HTML person. I will get it tarted up in due course. At the moment it doesn't do ATIS but it will. I'm sick of testing it at present - so - try it - let me know what's wrong or could be improved.

I know there's some polish needed on caps and paras and stuff ....

• Like 3