Avmet plain language weather

BPN

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had heard about PEMET before but had never used it. Just tried it and think it's great. I mostly don't have too much trouble interpreting the cryptic version, but this takes all the uncertainty out of it, especially for those more obscure terms whose meaning you can't recall without going back to the books. Many thanks Ian. It's a great aid to safer flying.

rgmwa

• Agree 3

ATIS works now too ..... I also fixed some long-standing errors in the old one about the handling of TTF METARs. All good now AFAIK.

When you find a word in caps like ... at heights in EXCESS of .... that's because it's a word I haven't seen before and I need to add it to the dictionary. That is relatively uncommon these days but not unknown.

IB

• Like 1

The way this works is like this. I do not have an exact detailed spec of how the Oz weather is written. There are some significant differences between how Oz and NZ weather stuff is written. You could call different gibberish dialects [or "jeebereesh" eef one comes from Seedney 8-) ][ I would probably be accused of saying "jubberush" .]

I just download reports and write code to translate them in as general a fashion as I can manage. Every so often I run into something I have not seen before which can give no translation (that's easy because it stays in caps), a wrong translation (altitudes and visibilities can get confused) or something else that throws an error.

An example is that yesterday's Tamworth ATIS was just a plain message saying the tower was closed - it didn't have a "WIND" or "QNH" or any other tag. It threw an error. Every other ATIS I had seen had tags for all the content. I sorted it and maybe I'll never see that again. Who knows? ATIS rules are probably pretty vague.

I just keep plugging at it on and off - when I find something not-quite-right I fix it. I think there's not much left to do but I have thought that for a while.

Naturally if you read my translation and it's wrong and you crash it's not my problem. Come to think of it, if you manually translate the gibberish (wrongly) and crash that's not Airservice's problem. And if the forecast is wrong and you translate it properly and crash that's not BOM's problem. It's a funny old world.

IB

The way this works is like this. I do not have an exact detailed spec of how the Oz weather is written. There are some significant differences between how Oz and NZ weather stuff is written. You could call different gibberish dialects [or "jeebereesh" eef one comes from Seedney 8-) ][ I would probably be accused of saying "jubberush" .] I just download reports and write code to translate them in as general a fashion as I can manage. Every so often I run into something I have not seen before which can give no translation (that's easy because it stays in caps), a wrong translation (altitudes and visibilities can get confused) or something else that throws an error.

An example is that yesterday's Tamworth ATIS was just a plain message saying the tower was closed - it didn't have a "WIND" or "QNH" or any other tag. It threw an error. Every other ATIS I had seen had tags for all the content. I sorted it and maybe I'll never see that again. Who knows? ATIS rules are probably pretty vague.

I just keep plugging at it on and off - when I find something not-quite-right I fix it. I think there's not much left to do but I have thought that for a while.

Naturally if you read my translation and it's wrong and you crash it's not my problem. Come to think of it, if you manually translate the gibberish (wrongly) and crash that's not Airservice's problem. And if the forecast is wrong and you translate it properly and crash that's not BOM's problem. It's a funny old world.

IB

Good point.

By the way is it possible to get on iPad? No way that I can see to enter "cntl A" etc.

May just be my ignorance.

Phil.

• Like 1

Good point.By the way is it possible to get on iPad? No way that I can see to enter "cntl A" etc.

May just be my ignorance.

Phil.

What you are actually doing is ....

[NAIPS] -> Select All - Copy then [PEMET] -> Paste.

Mr Google tells me (look for <"select all" copy paste iPad">) you can do the select-copy-paste thing on an iPad. I confess I haven't tried it.

What you are actually doing is ....[NAIPS] -> Select All - Copy then [PEMET] -> Paste.

Mr Google tells me (look for <"select all" copy paste iPad">) you can do the select-copy-paste thing on an iPad. I confess I haven't tried it.

I get to naips and area briefing ok but that's as far as I can go. Guess I need a lesson to get further.

PC is a breeze, just the iPad

Thanks got the reply

Phil.

I tried the ipad and copied and pasted, but it didnt seem to cope with the conversion coding, and therefore no output resulted.

CB

Can you run me through how to copy and paste. Obvious on PC but lost it here

Thanks

Phil

CBCan you run me through how to copy and paste. Obvious on PC but lost it here

Thanks

Phil

JP . Try holding finger on selected text to bring up the 'copy' prompt . Touch 'copy' then place finger beside curser which brings up the 'paste' prompt. Good luck !!

Bob

fan-bloody-tastic!

Though, didn't we say that the temp/qnh intervals were 3 hours? Looks like they are in 1 hour here:

Time - Temp/QNH : [6am - 22/1017] [7am - 24/1018] [8am - 26/1018] [9am - 25/1017]

WOLLONGONG (YWOL) TAF YWOL 251844Z 2519/2608 03005KT 9999 BKN020 FM252200 03010KT 9999 SCT020 SCT035 RMK T 22 24 26 25 Q 1017 1018 1018 1017

JP . Try holding finger on selected text to bring up the 'copy' prompt . Touch 'copy' then place finger beside curser which brings up the 'paste' prompt. Good luck !! Bob

Yay Biggles

Thanks, took a while but got there eventually.

Great help

Phil

• Like 1

fan-bloody-tastic!

Though, didn't we say that the temp/qnh intervals were 3 hours? Looks like they are in 1 hour here:

Time - Temp/QNH : [6am - 22/1017] [7am - 24/1018] [8am - 26/1018] [9am - 25/1017]

WOLLONGONG (YWOL) TAF YWOL 251844Z 2519/2608 03005KT 9999 BKN020 FM252200 03010KT 9999 SCT020 SCT035 RMK T 22 24 26 25 Q 1017 1018 1018 1017

Oops. I thought it was for the next four hours. That's my mistake .... can I have a definitive ruling on this please. The same error was there in the old PEMET. Go figure :-) It's another dialect issue - we don't have this stuff in NZ TAFs.

I'm a bit surprised that the copy/paste worked because what you really wanted was "select all" then "copy" and "select all" doesn't happen in a browser window on an iOS device. Not on either of mine anyway.

What I found out (I haven't got round to doing it) is that you need to "jailbreak" the iPad/iPhone then get a (free) app called "Action Menu" from an outfit called Cydia. Not the app store .... which is why you need to jailbreak it. Jailbreaking is not a big deal. Action menu has a "Copy All" option as an extension on the "copy/paste" stuff.

IB

• Helpful 1

I played with my iPad. I'm not really an iPad wizz.

When you have the NAIPS briefing on-screen you can do the magnifying glass thing on a clear space next to the <Print> button at the top. That will give you a "marked" space that is the full width of the screen and one line deep. It has blue dot "handles" in the middle of the top and bottom lines. Pull the top line one to the top of the screen. The bottom one goes down by itself - everything is now selected and a "Copy" button appears. Tap it.

Back to pemet. Hold in the "paste here" box and the magnifying glass appears. Let go and there is a "Paste" button. Tap it and then the "Translate" button.

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

Sorry I didn't get back to you, but yeah 3 hours. Also, I wasn't using the iPad, just plain ol browser on my laptop (if you were still talking to me that is) so copy and paste worked fine.

Great stuff 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

• Haha 1

This error means that you have not got the copy/paste quite right.

The program is looking for the briefing UTC time in the content that has should have been pasted into the "PASTE HERE" square. I have now changed things a little so you get a slightly friendlier message that tells you the copy/paste was incomplete. Unfortunately that's about the best I can do. It's clunky, but there is no other way (that I know of) to get the data into the pemet page (unless I pay Airservices some money like Champagne does).

As a bit of a clue, when you do the paste (ctrl-V on a PC) you should see a little bit of the briefing (the end of it) appear in the paste window. Usually (not always) it looks like the attached pic.

Also, if you can still see the "PASTE HERE" message after you think you have pasted it in, then the paste operation has not happened.

If the "PASTE HERE" message goes away but things still don't work .... open Notepad (or some other text editor) and try pasting into that. This is just to confirm that you have the "copy" bit right. When you paste into an editor you should see the entire briefing that you have selected and copied.

Just a bit of finger trouble ..... perservere ... it works. PM me if the problem persists.

IB

paste.jpg.9d69a88c886bf6a43dc87a406efd20d1.jpg

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest rhysa

The BOM also publishes the area forecasts, TAF etc on their website without the naips login. See http://www.bom.gov.au/aviation/forecasts/arfor/ and http://www.bom.gov.au/aviation/php/product.php?id=IDV42210.txt (area 30/32)

Looks like you can't copy/paste these into pemet as they are "incomplete" compared to the full naips briefing. Could the script be easily modified to parse these sections? Perhaps you could use the BOM as the source, assuming that is all ok with their usage policies.

The BOM also publishes the area forecasts, TAF etc on their website without the naips login. See http://www.bom.gov.au/aviation/forecasts/arfor/ and http://www.bom.gov.au/aviation/php/product.php?id=IDV42210.txt (area 30/32)Looks like you can't copy/paste these into pemet as they are "incomplete" compared to the full naips briefing. Could the script be easily modified to parse these sections? Perhaps you could use the BOM as the source, assuming that is all ok with their usage policies.

I could do it, but I don't see the point. NAIPS login is free. By the time I got this all working I was sort of over it. I doubt that it would increase the income I get off the site .... :-)

Sorry to disappoint. I'm happy to give my PHP code to anyone who wants to make a site that runs off a BOM feed.