Aerial photography discussion and brag thread

Some bloody nice photo's also still in your gallery skeptic! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Good work Tex, thanks for that .

The first one is for the "Brag " section, that's my trike at YHOT, the highest airport in Australia.

The other two are of a bushfire we had at Waweira in 2011, they are for the "aerial photography" section:smile:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure whatever you paste in ends in .jpeg and that your photobucket gallery is open to the public generally.EDIT: I see the link does end in .jpg... and obviously not the latter.... also make sure you are looking at the image as you would in its full view from the gallery (not just a thumbnail or in your own profile etc)

I think I have it now, I was opening the thumbnail but not the full view, will try that next time.

Thanks again

Regards Bill

• 4 months later...
[ATTACH=full]15874[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]15875[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]15876[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]15877[/ATTACH]Love looking at great shots like that...keep them coming !!...A couple of my favorites..............................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Maj, is this the valley from Big Conway and Conway Beach back towards Shute?

Hi all,I've been posting in the drifter ultralight forum and in the new pilots forum and someone asked for a few pics of where I fly. Since I'm big into Aerial Photography, I thought I'd start up a dicussion here and show off a few pics. Feel free to post your own examples. I'll try to post one or two new pics every day.

FWIW, I use a Nikon D7000 with a cheap kit lens (for now).

Brilliant clarity... Are you shooting hand held?

Mark

Sea Cliff Bridge

Nice photo. What height are you at there? I've flown over the bridge a number of times, but I've never dared to get right down there on the basis that there's not a lot of landing places if things go quiet... 073_bye.gif.391d1ddfcbfb3d5f69a5d3854c2b0a02.gif

• Like 1

Received this this morning. Not Oz but nice images anyway.

There is one photo that is definately 20 years old, and thats the roller coaster at Southend-on-sea.

Hasnt been there for many years now.

This collection of aerial photographs giving a spectacular bird's eye view of Britain from above has been released to mark the Queen's Jubilee year.

Bustling cities contrast with serene stretches of glorious countryside as sites that might seem ubiquitous from the ground are transformed into unique and wonderful images when viewed from above.

The heart-stopping shots are the work of aerial photographer Jason Hawkes who developed a love of Britain's varied landscape since taking his first flying lesson 20 years ago.

Perfect location: The Glenfinnan Viaduct in Scotland featured in the Harry Potter films.

Jubilee year: Buckingham Palace dominates the landscape in this aerial view of London

Jolly hockey pics: Pictured from above these sports pitches and the ant like people playing take on a strange geometrical beauty

Field of dreams: The Oval cricket pitch in South London at night

Fun land: A rollercoaster track twists and turns to form an incredible colourful image at this amusement park in Southend-on-Sea.

Looking down on an angel: A rarely seen view of Anthony Gormley's Angel of the North sculpture in Gateshead

Brighton Pier:

Hanging out with Nelson: A view looking down on Nelson's Column in London 's Trafalgar Square

Ace view: Centre Court at the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Club

London suburbs:

Heritage site: A quiet moment at Stonehenge

Nooks and crannies: A lighthouse looks out over a rugged stretch of coast near East Prawle in Devon

Myth and legend: Some believe Glastonbury Tor in Somerset is the final resting place of King Arthur

Bluegrass: A field of Flax in Buckinghamshire takes on magical properties

Wrong turns: Longleat maze near Bath is the largest in Britain

• Like 4

• 11 months later...
My local flying area is Deeral and the Atherton Tablelands in Queensland Australia..The cleared property at the bend in the river is our property and where I fly from.

Wonderful country, Frank. I am getting closer to realising a decades-long dream of flying up to visit family around Cairns and have been keeping your strip in mind. I am a little daunted by the coastal route; all those cane fields and challenging weather. The inland approach looks safer. I have visited Atherton Airstrip and believe there is hangarage available.

Guest Maj Millard
Maj, is this the valley from Big Conway and Conway Beach back towards Shute?

No mate, It's the valley that runs up the middle of Mt Elliot just South of Townsville. Possibly an old blown out volcano from thousands of years ago, as there are a lot of areas of lava rock also ....Somewhere up in there is the wreckage of a DH mosquito that hit in bad WX during WW2. Wouldn't be too much left now...........Maj...

Guest Maj Millard
Something with a different perspective

Great shot there Rob, looks like a pilot ferry just departing from the ship below.......Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Hi all,I've been posting in the drifter ultralight forum and in the new pilots forum and someone asked for a few pics of where I fly. Since I'm big into Aerial Photography, I thought I'd start up a dicussion here and show off a few pics. Feel free to post your own examples. I'll try to post one or two new pics every day.

FWIW, I use a Nikon D7000 with a cheap kit lens (for now).

what we have above, soft, normmal sheep.

here below, hardcore Aussie sheep in their paddock.

No mate, It's the valley that runs up the middle of Mt Elliot just South of Townsville. Possibly an old blown out volcano from thousands of years ago, as there are a lot of areas of lava rock also ....Somewhere up in there is the wreckage of a DH mosquito that hit in bad WX during WW2. Wouldn't be too much left now...........Maj...

There is also a P38 lightning on Mt Elliot as you probably know Maj. Pilot baled out ok after engine failure but the wreck has never been located. I tried to climb the Mount once but green ants drove me back. Then flew over it and saw how impossible it would be to locate a wreck even from the air.

Guest Maj Millard

What is now Daylrymple road in Townsville used to be the Stock route strip during WW2. It was attached to Garbutt air base via a taxiway which is now Duckworth St. The area was used to park B-17 s and other aircraft in the bush, to get them away from the main Garbutt air base as they expected the Japs to bomb the area, which they did on a couple of occasions, with only minor results.

The Stockroute strip was gravel, and mainly used by RAAF squadrons using C-47s and Avro Ansons. One day a yank decided to try the strip in a P-38 Lightning. His first take-off attempt was aborted in a cloud of dust, and he lined up a second time, saying he was just checking if the strip was long enough. Shortly after lift off on the second attempt, both engines quit ( fuel taps off !??) and he bellied into salt flats which were still there when I was a kid, but have since been developed into 'the Lakes' housing precinct. I have a wartime photo of a damaged P-38 on the Tarmac at Townsville with both props bent, and a collapsed nose wheel, which may be the same aircraft.

In the same area was the large US maintenance facility which carried out heavy maintenance and repair, on all aircraft. It was at the top end of Bayswater Road. Their old hangars and other facilities were still there when I was a kid, and we played in them often, imagining that we were being attacked by Japanese Zeros. Above the main door area was a mezinne area with chicken-wire re-enforced thick glass panels . There were all broken and holed, with what as kids we imagined were Zero hits. In reality they were probably bullet holes put there earlier by our olded brothers, or by stone throwers.

Two of those hangars exist to my knowledge, one at a cement work just South of Townsville , and one at Sid Marshalls air museum opposite Mareeba airport. That one was dismantled bit by bit and re- erected in Mareeba.......there are paintings of this facility which were done by a US military artist in the War Museum in Canberra.............Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Recent trip to NZ..........1st and 2nd pic.....we stayed/cruised about Milford sound fiordes

3rd.......we landed there, pilot left us with food water and radio.......we "tried" skiing, boarding etc for 5 hrs, then got picked up

4th......getting there.

we spent about a month S.Is.............loved it