Jab 160 lover

john emmerton

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:welcome:Here's as good a place as any to say g'day John. Welcome to the forum.

You will no doubt find other jab lovers and also some jab bashers 085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gif but take it all with a grain of salt and enjoy yourself

Dude im gunna get smashed for this. But best to be honest (before you shell out the cash) and last time i checked opinions where allowed. "So in my opinion" which many will regard as utter BS. I too loved Jabs till i did my research on engine failures. Do some research on this forum and elsewhere and if you still love them after that Go For IT... nice to have you on board.

One of two statements in my opinion must be remotely correct

Either

Lots more jabs fail because there is lots more out there

o r

We hear about way more Jab engine issues then Rotax failures for some unexplained reason

What finally made me change my mind was the number of Jabirus For Sale with 700hrs TT on airframe and say 300hours on engine. But yet your hard pressed to find many Rotax aircraft where the engine numbers dont match the airframe ????? Except maybe from a prop strike. When i rang about jabs to enquire ... the usual answer for why the time was different was we had an engine failure

I was always gunna buy a new or near new plane because i hate the idea of an engine failure.They are a wonderful engine. Very powerful and pur like a kitten. But the many many many reports of failures just turned me off. Its not like you can sit on the side of the road and wait for the NRMA to come along.

Its only my opinion.....and im sure others are going to disagree (strongly). So please guys allow me to have an opinion...without getting bashed for it. If you have a different one express it..

The great thing about the Jab is the endurance. 135 litres in the wings and (say) 16 litres per hour, you can fly a long way before worrying about fuel. And easy to fix if you do hit the wombat or kangaroo.

• Like 1

Over the years (when asked) I have recommended a Jabiru to some students. They don't suit everyone but there are a lot out there. I always pull the prop through before flight. If the compression is not right you don't fly it. (Like any motor). Nev

Not sure if this is the place to do this, but "Hi".......I am a low time jab jock.....about 100 hours total and will be buying a new J160 D in March 2014.

How did this get to this stage after such a simple post? Poor Mr. Emmerton must think us all a mob of bogans.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Looove me 160, great range, comfy, 100kts, handles " those " ugly days just fine. After sales service excellent, affordable hull insurance no probs.

Accessing passage way through " touchy" areas......easy as.

Now.......that engine, so far so good, keep right on top of maintenance, upgrade engine temp control ( belly vent )

Don't listen to the dooms day bashers, small group that make a lot of noise, 99% of owners love their jabs! just like me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Indeed. 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gifUnfortunately Jab bashing tends to go sour very quickly.

It has often been stated on here that the Jabiru is a magnificent airframe, and that if it was not plagued by four or five different but recurring engine failure causes then the factory would need to be ten times bigger to keep up with demand. That is why there are starting to be Rotax powered Jabirus around and why I asked my initial question, this option opens up the airframe as an option for those like Jabiru engines, those who are concerned about Jabiru engines and those who loath Jabiru engines, and all the bogans can be happy together!

My only grype......my doors leak water inflite ( pours in ) intend drilling hole each side on floor, fit removeable rubber bungs, can see litres of water building up there causing me grief.

At some stage chase up some rubber profiles to see which one will reduce/eliminate the problem.

My only grype......my doors leak water inflite ( pours in ) intend drilling hole each side on floor, fit removeable rubber bungs, can see litres of water building up there causing me grief.At some stage chase up some rubber profiles to see which one will reduce/eliminate the problem.

Does Raven self adhesive weather seal have any application, that is what I will be using on my Savannah when I get somewhere built to stick it.

Have a similar issue with the doors not sealing on the 230 also. Looking closely at them the doors are not quite the same shape as the door opening so will be doing something about it as soon as the wet starts and flying time will be shortened somewhat.

Will have to cut the door, flex into a better shape and reglass. Will insert the latest top latch attachment whilst working on it. Gutters screwed on as the later models should see it waterproofed I hope.

Does Raven self adhesive weather seal have any application, that is what I will be using on my Savannah when I get somewhere built to stick it.

Unfortunately the adhesive isn't much chop. There are at least three other brands available & the adhesive seems a common problem across them all from what I have seen. You could try putting a 3M double sided VHB tape under. Mechanical fixing e.g. slotting into a groove seems to work much better for flexible rubber seals.

I also wish the Jab doors were a bit better fit, not expecting Mercedes precision but hoping for better than a 1970's Trabant.

Do you intend flying your new plane from Bundaberg to Truro Flats? I flew mine from Bundy to Gawler with an over night stay at Bourke. this link, http://users.adam.com.au/kleb/welcome.htmlgives a few details.

Yes, I have lined up 2 experienced Jabiru instructors who have done this run several times b4.