Ultralight in sea off Noosa

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noosa hang glider crash: Pilot taken to hospital after ditching into the water - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) The pilot of a motorised hang glider is airlifted to hospital after crashing into water off Noosa Heads.

Well being spiralling and part way upside down for whatever reason there was no way this guy was not going to hit sea level in a trike.

Lets hope it was a structural issue not a pilot induced one as to get it in the so called situation as described in the media report takes some bad airmanship.

Well I was about to tear a strip off him for not flying within a safe gliding distance to the beach, now I`ll wait and see. Of course I hope he`ll be ok!

Frank.

Either a structural issue Maj or being an idiot, not much else to choose from.

There are a few scenarios that could put you in that, too slow in a tight turn and the inner wing stalling and tucking you under, negative g manoeuvres, and whip stalls which usually results in a tumble and certain death, well actually all 3 usually result in death, there would be some more out there but can't think of them at the moment.

Alf

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Guest Andys@coffs

This is one way.......and while I add it here Im very quick to advise I have no knowledge of the Noosa accident and no knowledge if this is even related, its just to answer the question asked.

This is one way.......and while I add it here Im very quick to advise I have no knowledge of the Noosa accident and no knowledge if this is even related, its just to answer the question asked.

Andy, the dreaded "hey watch me"................kill myself trick

Apparently from what I have been told about the person who died in my old trike last year, he was low & slow and increased his angle of bank more than 60deg most likely and stalled the inner wing while turning final.

Trikes are not supposed to climb or descend at angles greater than 45 deg & no angles of bank exceeding 60 deg

• Informative 1

Andy, the dreaded "hey watch me"................kill myself trickApparently from what I have been told about the person who died in my old trike last year, he was low & slow and increased his angle of bank more than 60deg most likely and stalled the inner wing while turning final.

Trikes are not supposed to climb or descend at angles greater than 45 deg & no angles of bank exceeding 60 deg

I think you'll find the certification limits are 30 degrees pitch up or down and 60 degrees angle of bank.

Been a couple of years Lauire so it may well be 30 for the pitch, some how I was thinking it was 45 but there you go I may be wrong

Just checked Laurie in the Airborne manual, pitch is not to exceed 45 deg up or down, angle of bank is 60 deg..

Alf 1 nil 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

That looks like it hurt !........

Not another pissing competition!!!Remember to piss with the wind if you want to win.

Actually rankamature,

I know Laurie quite well, he is a local in my area so just a little in house joke mate.

You just remember to land in to the wind seen as though your a rankamature

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I probably shouldn't say anything about the cause of this accident as it will likely be the subject of an investigation. What I think I can say is that the guy in the other trike was my trike instructor and he was NOT flying WITH this guy as the media reports said. My instrucor was in the same vicinity and made a radio call to the guy to alert him of his presence.

The guy that crashed is the same guy that put this same trike into lake weyba a few months ago and this was the first flight of the trike since it was rebuilt. I think I can say that my instructor indicated to me that he thought it was not a case of structural failure, but that will probably be checked out by any investigation.

Guest Andys@coffs

Scott

was it RAAus or HGFA registered......I haven't seen anything from RAAus so presume the latter

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs

so as a trike pilot what are you most likely to try next...a 3 axis aircraft or hang glider? I reckon more of the former less of the later which makes RAAus a much better option in terms on controlling your association related costs...

Well, that was certainly the case for me. Also, when I translated across from HGFA, they were going through the political horrors similar to what RA-Aus has just been through. When I moved to RAA, it was partly to get away from the politics, but then it was like Deja Vu.

But I agree with the idea that people moving from a trike, are probably more likely to go 3 axis, witness myself and Alf.

• Like 1

But I agree with the idea that people moving from a trike, are probably more likely to go 3 axis, witness myself and Alf.

I am never getting in a trike again they don't look right to me and the risk of some idiot causing a tuck and tumble with you in it does not bear thinking about. I personally have seen a trike instructor doing steep turns, what appeared to be loops except they were slightly off to one side ( not quite right over the top) but certainly breaking all the rules mentioned in earlier posts.

I am never getting in a trike again they don't look right to me and the risk of some idiot causing a tuck and tumble with you in it does not bear thinking about. I personally have seen a trike instructor doing steep turns, what appeared to be loops except they were slightly off to one side ( not quite right over the top) but certainly breaking all the rules mentioned in earlier posts.

How much time do you have as pic in trikes?

• Like 1

How much time do you have as pic in trikes?

Agree with Keenaviator, are you sure you can comment...until the cause is identified then how can you do anything but assume.

Trikes are as safe as the next aircraft in the hands of competent pilots.

• Agree 5