Recreational aircraft with folding wings

scre80

Hi All,

I am looking into purchasing my first aircraft, but as money will be tight, I would be looking for a recreational aircraft where it can be transported on a trailer and I can keep it in my garage, as I am only 10mins from the airfield, to keep costs down and avoid hanger fees.

I am wondering if anyone can advise of a suitable aircraft where it only requires 1 person to setup the aircraft from the trailer.

Some specifics of what I would like in the aircraft include

- cruise at 90knots

- endurance of 5 hours

- 2 seats but open to single seat

- rotex engine but open to others

- easy to fly for a beginner pilot.

Thanks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,I am looking into purchasing my first aircraft, but as money will be tight, I would be looking for a recreational aircraft where it can be transported on a trailer and I can keep it in my garage, as I am only 10mins from the airfield, to keep costs down and avoid hanger fees.

I am wondering if anyone can advise of a suitable aircraft where it only requires 1 person to setup the aircraft from the trailer.

- cruise at 90knots

- endurance of 5 hours

Thanks

Hi,

If you can be flexible with some of those requirements then a Gazelle is an excellent plane that has folding wings.

The things you would sacrifice would be :-

1) TAS of 75 knots in the cruise

2) endurance of about 3 hours

It has an 80hp Rotax and 2 seats.

It is certainly easy to fly, and fun!

HTH,

Neil

Hi All,I am looking into purchasing my first aircraft, but as money will be tight, I would be looking for a recreational aircraft where it can be transported on a trailer and I can keep it in my garage, as I am only 10mins from the airfield, to keep costs down and avoid hanger fees.

- cruise at 90knots

- endurance of 5 hours

Thanks

Hi scre80. Have a look at the 2 seater Eurofox from Horsham Aviation:

http://horshamaviation.com.au/Aircraft/

I keep mine in a trailer, and it is a single handed operation to fold or deploy the wings. I have a small electric winch to draw it tail-first into my trailer.

As for flying characteristics, I couldn't be happier. Cruise goes up to 110 knots, but with full flaperon it stalls at just 38 knots. With a rotax 912 ULS engine and 85 litres usable, you get a maximum endurance of 6 hours, and a maximum range of 540 nautical miles. It has excellent short field performance even at MTOW of 560 Kg. It is factory built either as a tail dragger or nose wheel configuration (like mine), and can even tow gliders if required. Build quality is excellent.

I have the Dynon system operating the autopilot, which is great for the long navigational legs.

Of course I'm biased, because I have one, but I think you'd be lucky to find better value in any other trailer-able aircraft.

- cruise at 90knots

- endurance of 5 hours

Thanks

X-Air Hanuman

Folding Wings. According to the book it is a 1 man operation although I will admit to not having folded the wings on mine so can neither confirm nor deny the time frame..

BEW approx 300kgs depending upon engine and MTOW of 544kgs

Cruise 85 Knots

Endurance 4 hours. (80 litres fuel)

2 Seat side by side.

Rotax engines some 80 hp some are 100hp and some are Jabiru 80hp

Simple to fly, very forgiving.

There is a factory built one with the 80hp Rotax for sale in the Classifieds.

• Like 1

- cruise at 90knots

- endurance of 5 hours

Thanks

Hi SCRE80

The Skyrangers have a folding wing option. Have a look through the link on this site for Bestoff Aircraft AU or give the agent Greg a phone call. They will tick all your boxes for speed, endurance, 2 seats, rotax 912 nice to fly and handle on t/off and landing. I have a Nynja and i'm totally happy with it. I'd recommend that you look up a Skyranger owner that you can get to and have a look and get a flight; alos do the same to any others you look at. Best to try before you buy one. Happy hunting and flying Mike

Looks like a great aircraft, Price, yes an issue

I realize I need to be flexible on my requirements. Main one is it can be put on a trailer by 1 person, and it is a recreation aircraft (Not looking at microlights or powered parachutes) everything else is optional!!

Thanks everyone for info too, I will look into them. I am unsure of my budget yet but I would be looking at a 2nd had aircraft. If you hear of anything available, let me know.

Thanks

Hi scre80. Have a look at the 2 seater Eurofox from Horsham Aviation:http://horshamaviation.com.au/Aircraft/

I keep mine in a trailer, and it is a single handed operation to fold or deploy the wings. I have a small electric winch to draw it tail-first into my trailer.

As for flying characteristics, I couldn't be happier. Cruise goes up to 110 knots, but with full flaperon it stalls at just 38 knots. With a rotax 912 ULS engine and 85 litres usable, you get a maximum endurance of 6 hours, and a maximum range of 540 nautical miles. It has excellent short field performance even at MTOW of 560 Kg. It is factory built either as a tail dragger or nose wheel configuration (like mine), and can even tow gliders if required. Build quality is excellent.

I have the Dynon system operating the autopilot, which is great for the long navigational legs.

Of course I'm biased, because I have one, but I think you'd be lucky to find better value in any other trailer-able aircraft.

reat aircraft,

- cruise at 90knots

- endurance of 5 hours

Thanks

how about cruise clean air 105

endurance 4 hrs

2 seats can be flown with doors off

80 hp rotax s motor

folding wings

easy to fly then look at a flysynthesis storch s

neil

scre80, have a look at the Bushbaby Explorer, ( taildragger or tricycle ) has all of what you require. Wouldn't be many around 2nd hand but with a kit you can build to your own

specs at your own pace, as the money is available, and at the end of the day doesn't cost much more than a 2nd hand plane, I know because I'm building one now. Another good

choice as Bill mentioned is the Kitfox. There was one for sale in Vic, advertised in the RA AUS members market.

Onex, folding wings par excellence! I think I had my wings up and down 3 times today just moving it round the hangar, takes 30 seconds to unfold or fold both wings. Cruises up to 120 knots but no rotax and only one seat but of course you can build the whole plane including engine for around the cost of just a rotax engine.

Peter

• Like 1

Thanks all, lots of information for me to research. I will keep an eye on the classifieds too.

While I like the idea of one day building an airplane, for now I just want to fly.

• Agree 1

Guest debra stewart

- cruise at 90knots

- endurance of 5 hours

Thanks

A Skyfox Gazelle of course, what other plane is there, ha ha. Really beautiful, easy to handle, runs on the smell of fuel, wings fold, blah blah, Try one, you wont be sorry. I got mine for less than $30,000 but it is worth about $35,000 now. It cost me $10 for an hours circuits. I run it on Clatex Vortex. They are sturdy and handle heaps of bumps and mistakes. Very forgiving. Not many around now but if you see one grab it.

Debb

Not sure if you can get them in Oz, but the TLAC Sherwood aircraft are folding-wing

http://www.g-tlac.com

The C42 Ikarus might be another option but they don't seem too popular over your way (even though it's a superb aircraft)

http://www.comco-ikarus.de/Pages/produkte-comco/c42-uk.php?lang=en

Zenith CH701

Or this from Aerotek

http://www.aerotrek.aero/wingfold.htm