EFB - iPad Air vs Mini

Should point out that although Ozrunways advise a cellular Mini, the WiFi only Mini DOES have a GPS chip.

The wifi only iPads do not have a GPS onboard. You will need an external GPS for use in your aircraft.

Be aware that devices can get an approximate location from wifi networks, so it can appear to work.. on the ground..

You do not need a SIM card for the GPS to work, it just takes a little longer to find itself.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a query for the users of ozrunways (I use avplan) if you use the ipad in landscape does it auto correct the aircraft heading or do you have to have the ipad vertical for the posistion to track

I just wanted to say, I used the iPad Mini for a decent trip on Thursday. I left Redcliffe, circumnavigated Fraser Island, landed at maryborough then went home via Gympie. I had a full paper plan and paper charts and used them as my primary form of navigation (I lie, I had a g1000 I used too!!) but I also fully utilised the iPad as well.

3.7 hours flight time, the iPad mini went like a champion. Had the big one as standby just in case but never needed it. Had the mini sitting on my knee for the best part, without a kneeboard holder case thingie.

I am sold. Still learning to use ozrunways to its full capability, but so far so good. Not willing to trade the paper in just yet, but making inroads to maybe looking at that option in the future!

• Like 2

Just a query for the users of ozrunways (I use avplan) if you use the ipad in landscape does it auto correct the aircraft heading or do you have to have the ipad vertical for the posistion to track

Either way works and you can select track up or north up , if that helps.

I have been using an iPad mini cellular running OZ runways for two years now. Bloody fantastic. It is in a RAM mount just below my MGL Enigma which is also GPS equipped. Numerous outback trips into far west NSW and QLD and never lost GPS lock.

Just be careful if you go down the path a carrying a LiPo battery onboard as they are volatile especially when it comes to charging. I don't have an enclosed cockpit so at least I can throw one overboard if it catches fire.

• Like 1

Couldn't be any worse that the vast number of smokers I see throwing their butts out the window, and probably a better result than the ensuing aircraft fire after the crash.

• Agree 1

So..... I just can't get my head around the mini.

Curious, who actually uses the full size here?

Should not be hard to mount it on the windscreen with a suction mount or have it between the seats.

I tend to only use ipads to cross reference and to read documents, the cockpit has the "gear".

So would be stowed untill I do a random check or look at an approach plate.

I wonder if apple will drop the 9.7" tablet considering they have two iphone sizes they may go for the mini and the pro ipads dropping the middle one.

Surprisingly hard to get a ipad to fit, laid back windscreens and close fitting doors dont leave too many options, even kneemounts dont fit for many.

No suction mounts ive used are 100% reliably, falling off at key moments. Sun and heat dont help

Ipad is a key tool for on route info , inc maps, freq, weather. Really comes into its own where plans change enroute

Notams, ersa, sattelite maps, weather etcetc

Surprisingly hard to get a ipad to fit, laid back windscreens and close fitting doors dont leave too many options, even kneemounts dont fit for many.No suction mounts ive used are 100% reliably, falling off at key moments. Sun and heat dont help

Ipad is a key tool for on route info , inc maps, freq, weather. Really comes into its own where plans change enroute

Notams, ersa, sattelite maps, weather etcetc

Weather Radar and maps are on the aircraft display.

Today is the first day in a while since I have flown analogue cockpit, so I prepared all my paper flight plans and had all the necessary charts. Still had a GPS in the aircraft, but realised on taxi that it did not know Jimbour, and I think it thought that Kilcoy was at Archerfield or Amberly or something in that direction, so I rapidly reverted to paper to be safe. Had the iPad Mini on my knee again, and beside ozrunways briefly crashing when I changed the flight plan to include YKCY it worked a treat. Was better than the certified GPS in the plane.

• Caution 1

I use an Ipad Air in a kneeboard. I am quite comfortable with it. I do still like to use maps though. More challenging.

You have no problems?

So I take it you prefer the bigger display?

Would you get a mini if the air shat itself?

Plenty of room in a G5 or GLEX though.

I have managed to fit an early model full -size iPad into my small single-seater. It's been tried in a knee pad (didn't like that) hinge-mounted on my right side (too much sky reflection) and is now hinge-mounted between my knees (excellent visibility). Only trouble: it's in the way of my legs when getting in, so has to be locked up out of the way.

I must remember to swing it down into position before take-off; after I get airbourne the stick assembly is in the way.

Would love to replace it with the mini, except for the traffic icons: they don't get bigger when you zoom in. Even with the big screen it's hard enough to read the rego number of another aircraft.

I agree, some of the details on a mini need to be able to be zoomed in

Even on the iphone text is bigger

Can people relay this to ozrunways. I have and they dont seem to think it worth addressing much

This is a first trial of a new panel arrangement I've been working on for our LSA55, to incorporate a full iPad (though it'll probably be an iPad Air by the time we get to install it!) Obviously, all the instruments, switches etc. are cardboard cut-outs with faces printed on them... and we've decided to cut back the 'step' around the iPad to give more shin room. We put the iPad in portrait so a track-up provides best view of the track ahead.

It's a drop-in to the standard LSA55 panel mount fittings; the iron primaries and the MGL 'extreme' mini efis plus the radio and transponder sit in a reaward projecting 'shelf' that provides about 50mm of shade for the iPad. ( and yes, it's shape is asymetric so the PIC has good vision out of the rh bottom corner of the windscreen). We intend to have cut-outs in the panel behind the iPad and some air tubes pointed at the general direction of the footwell air vents for ventilation to the iPad in hot weather. There's a spot large enough for an iPad mini in front of the pax. by mounting the Hobbes on the side of the binnacle and moving the iron Oil temp. down into its location.

As an old fart who needs bi-focals, I prefer analogue instruments as far as possible, so a sweep of the panel can check the needles.. but we might replace the vacuum A/H with an XAvion display. And the panel-mount dual throttles may well be not installed; I have a few ideas, but might just stick with the standard crotch-grabber set-up.

Would appreciate comments from regular users of Ozrunways / Avplan.

Labelledpanel.jpg.e2d62181d713b405383abdff24050433.jpg

iPad mini in my Jabiru 160 ..... Bob[ATTACH=full]40844[/ATTACH]

Bob thats a great set-up. I have exactly the same in my Jab170 except the Ipad Mini is on the RH side and the 296 on the left.

I found even the Mini too much "in my face" on the LH side but the 296 is small enough to be out of the way!

• Caution 1

I have an iPad Air 2 (Telstra cellular) on a knee pad. I travel with an old iPad 2 (cellular) as a backup. Both run OzRunways, as does my iPhone 5. The Dynon Skyview runs my .gpx flight plans originating from OzRunways, along with their Hybrid VFR moving map display, input via USB.

In all, I get seamless agreement across all independent devices. I print off OzRunways maps covering my flight planned route, plus a little extra, but have never needed to use them, - such is the accuracy and reliability I have experienced over the last 4 years cross-country flying to some rather remote areas.

Of course the Telstra signal drops out occasionally in remote areas, but with all maps pre-loaded along with stored area-weather via NAIPS, I've always felt a strong sense of situational awareness.

I have assembled the portable adsPi (adsb-in) device, and that displays nearby traffic to watch out for, on the OzRunways display.

I've opted for the large screen iPad versions to minimise the difficulty of delicate zooming touches in turbulence. I have older eyes, so have non-polarised bifocal sunglasses to assist with the fine print on my kneeboard display.

Needless to say, I'm a big advocate of new technology, and redundant & complimentary independent EFB systems.

Happy flying!

• Like 1