Major changes coming to Recreational Flying

Admin

Hi All, I have been a bit hands off from the site for a while now which I am sure you all appreciate but here in Australia, especially down South, the weather is turning again so hope you are all starting to get back up in the sky and enjoying yourself.

It is also that time of the year again that I revisit the site and create any enhancements that you may like plus upgrade the software, the look and feel, its features and more. There is a big upgrade coming soon which has caused me to step back and look at how the site is going overall as well. The number of posts per day has dropped yet the number of actual registered users logging in per day has remained constant at around 500 unique registered users per day. The overall unique visitors to the site per day has increased to on average over 3,000 per day and new user registrations has also increased. The number of new user registrations has mostly come from world wide countries with the highest number from the USA. This obviously means that we have done Australia to death and the knowledge of the site's existence is stretching far and wide.

So, again we come to the time where I ask you for your input to what you want to get out of the site, how you want it to look and feel, how you want to use the site. I can say that there is a major new forum software update being released which will form the basis of the site update.

Anyway, please let me know what you want to get from the site that you are not already getting from it...or even what you are getting from it now and must have and what the site has that we don't really need and could be removed...as always, thanks for your help...it is greatly appreciated

I would prefer to be able to edit or delete any post I make.This feature is available with all other Forums I subscribe to.

Damn, its too late, now I cannot edit or delete this post! 089_locked.gif.de54f00158a37a4d08f86695dc6e87fe.gif

There is a 30minute window where you can edit/delete your post. The reason why there is a limit is to keep discussions relevant from post to post. If a user posted abc and then another user replied regarding abc, then the first user edited their post from abc to xyz, the 2nd post would make no sense. If after the 30 minute window a user wishes to change their post they can always submit another post with an explanation to why their view/point/text is different.

Hope this helps

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

The splitting of the site aviation here and non aviation "What's up" has to me disjointed my experience in the forum/s. I prefer it as it was.

Yes, thankyou and I am very seriously looking at that and how it has impacted this site compared to the new users obtained for Whats Up Australia. The tab for Whats Up Australia on the new posts page here on Recreational Flying should have made it easy but there is more to it than just that...thanks again

Ian your efforts to regularly upgrade the site are commendable, but perhaps some conservative old farts like me have difficulty keeping up with constant change. I really appreciate the two sites as venues for discussing aviation (and arguing the point about everything else.)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I would also like editing available to at least 1 hour.

Whats Up Oz/Off Topic could in my opinion be solved by membership status, say 30 posts before you can post or even view there. Even then you had to make a formal request with the relevant Mod to join, I have been a member elsewhere with this feature, gives you a feel of the other posters and them for you before you trash, errr I mean reply to them.

That's here, called The Paddock Club Autosport Forums

I would like to see the Posts (14 days) down the side menu as it once was. That is the button I prefer to use to track recent conversation threads. I don't worry about the what's up Australia Site and have only looked at it a couple of times since the change. Some of the facebook sites have some very interesting stuff but this place feels familiar and friendly.

• Agree 3

Are you looking at updating how to attach images?

Wow, I reckon this is one of the easiest websites around to attach a picture, and you get to see it and manage their sequence order, or delete them etc. right in front of you before you post your reply.

• Agree 2

I don't have any problems with the site, it's very user-friendly, with a good, well-thought-out page layout and colours, and it's very easy to attach files or photos. Top marks to Ian and the forum program designers.

• Agree 7

The site is good and fills a niche for us to get info about safety and other aviation matters. My only gripe is beyond your control, the site seems to have been taken over by whingers with little experience of what is achievable or even desirable.

Thanks Yenn, there are different types of site users and yes, you have highlighted one type...the whinger. Other types include the forceful nasty soap box grandstander (which we have tried to minimise by selective targeting), the happy helpful contributor (which we try to encourage), the nice wise helpful contributor (we also encourage) and the learner (again we encourage so we can help those to stay safe), amongst other user types;

[*]regular user

[*]troll

[*]lurker

[*]sock puppet (secondary identity that is usually created to support a main identity in some way)

[*]astroturfer (identity used to spread propaganda, be it commercial, political, etc)

[*]attention seeker(aka whore)

[*]neffer (assuming that there exist users whose primary activity is neffing)

And Admin who will always win an argument...and will always be the last man standing 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Unfortunately the whinger is one type that only the other users can control by clicking the "ignore" button

• Like 1