Pilot and passengers arrested, Coober Pedy

3 hours ago, spacesailor said:

People seem to have forgotten that China, Was our ally ,  and when the Americans first bombed Japan, they flew to China.

spacesailor

…or that the ensuring Japanese vengeance cost a couple of hundred thousand innocent Chinese their lives.

Just now, spacesailor said:

I think we would be better off with ' frendly' Chinese than the ' aggressive ' American allies.

spacesailor

I totally agree, Spacey. But we are not just dealing with the Chinese people.

The Chinese Communist Party is quite nervous of any threat to its control; 1.3 billion people can be a handful if they get riled up, so the CCP wants to keep the economy stable. At the same time, like any government, they like to build up the perception of an external threat to unite the people behind them. (America has been doing this for generations: remember all those movies about the Russians invading USA? Ridiculous.)

In China’s case, it has happened too often.

China has a long history of being exploited and humiliated by the west (Australian volunteers flocked to fight the Chinese during the Boxer rebellion) and the communist government loves to remind their people of this.

Interesting times ahead.

Exploitation by human beings, of other human beings has been going on since time immemorial. It’s a global phenomena……….

• Agree 1

But I think we'd agree that we don't wish to line ourselves up on the 'exploited' side.

Our national weakness is apathy. Which makes us an easy target for any kind of global exploitation.

Edited by nomadpete
important word added
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

We expect to be exploited by the Americans? .

Yep. All the Way with LBJ is the basis of our defense strategy. 

How many countries has China invaded !

Spacey China hasn’t invaded distant lands like other great powers have done, but plenty of countries on their borders have been subjugated and flooded with Han Chinese immigrants: Tibet, Mongolia, Sinkiang… 

Despite the claims by the CCP that they respect and protect minorities, there are some disturbing stories leaking out that don’t.

Their neighbour are pretty nervous about massive miliarisation of the South China Sea. 

China can claim some historic connection with these territories, but that also applies to Vietnam and other lands on its borders. What future claims will the new emperor make?

We dont have to worry too much. The chinese stuff wont work for them when it needs to....  Yes i know they got a probe to mars but that was an extremely controlled , rehearsed, simulated, emulated environment.

• Agree 1

... and it more than likely utilised quite a bit of stolen American technological spacecraft knowledge. I believe the Chinese still have a way to go to match U.S. technological knowledge.

Their problem is their style of repressive Govt and ideology, and their need to control people that disagree with the ruling Party aims and desires.

But they are very harsh with their methods of "control" of people that cause disagreement with the Communist Party aims.

Their system does not really encourage independent development of technological ideas, as we do in Western Democratic countries.

I remember listening to a radio item on China quite some years ago, and this radio documentary pointed out that China's great industrial leap forward was basically driven by a core of about 200,000, Western educated Chinese engineers, scientists, developers and chemists.

You don't go to China to advance your technological knowledge, and to do your technological research, you get it from Western Universities, and the Western education system, which has been, and still is, in high demand in Asia.

The current pandemic and the harsh talk and trade barriers between China and the Western world must be affecting their technological education base.

I have not forgotten what the ideology of the peasant personality cult of Chairman Mao Zedong did to China in the 1960's.

He destroyed much of China's progressing technology base, wiped out millions of highly educated and skilled Chinese, and took the country backwards a couple of centuries within a few short years.

It took the Chinese a generation to recover from Mao Zhedongs peasant-mentality orders, and his flawed, destructive, ideology-based decisions.

The major problem is, the current leadership in China worships Mao Zedong and his ideology, and that spells future disaster for the Chinese.

Even more so, as President Jinping considers himself a modern-day Chairman Mao, and has initiated another personality cult based on himself as China's greatest leader, and one who can never be displaced, thanks to his engineering his Presidency for life. None of this augurs well for Chinas future, their ideology is more flawed than the Nazis ideology.

Edited by onetrack
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

What struck me about this flagrant breaching of pandemic regulations was that the perpetrators obviously were not short of a quid - yet were only penalised $500 each.  Suffering expulsion from SA probably didn't break their hearts either.   When you can afford to hire a Cessna 206, at probably $450-$500/hr, and then fly it over at least 20 hrs  -  ($10,000 at a quick guess), then the punishment certainly didn't fit the crime.

happy days,

• Agree 2

Found it funny today that The Beetrooter was complaining about the Chinese not wanting American ships in the South Chins Sea then the next breath complaining about a Chinese spy ship off the coast of Oz! Do as I say don't do as I do.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Student Pilot said:

a Chinese spy ship

It would be near irrisistable not to do a spray height flypast in your F18 - shake up the spooks.  If the RAAf doesn't then I'll take money on the USAF doing it.

What an opportunity!

With the lockdown extending to Bankstown ! .

Why is the airport Still open.

Perhaps they are ' exporting ' the virus around Australia ?.

Another half dozen  jumbo,s flew overhead ( from mascot ) while we had breakfast. 

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Missed word

The greater concern is exactly where the Chinese submarines are at present, and what they're doing. The Chinese have 56 submarines and the U.S. Navy has 68.

But I'll wager the Chinese submarines are probing the U.S. defences, just as much as the U.S. Navy is probing the Chinese defences. I bet it's currently a real cat and mouse game under the waves.

1 hour ago, poteroo said:

It would be near irrisistable not to do a spray height flypast in your F18 - shake up the spooks.  If the RAAf doesn't then I'll take money on the USAF doing it.

What an opportunity!

I would like to hit it in the guts with a few torpedoes……I would lay money they would do NOTHING…….except shout and bitch and make big empty threats.

Most of the world is against them…..those that count, anyway.

There is nothing new about adversaries keeping an eye on one another. This has happened throughout history and is now easy to see with current technology. The US does it to the Chinese from their bases in Taiwan. It is just standard procedure so nothing to write home about.

• Agree 3

33 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

There is nothing new about adversaries keeping an eye on one another…

Thanks for injecting some realism into the discussion, KG. We have been raised in an ocean of US propaganda about the “Soviet threat” with outrage that a few “Russian Trawlers” might be eavesdropping on western military exercises, while our side conducts massive surveillance on them.

image.jpeg.846ea8ff015097c54259b15cdc27a2c8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2