Jump plane stalls during exit.

Garfly

Looked like FULL flap extended Why use that much? It went straight into a spin. Probably exceeded  Vfe in the recovery.  Seemed to spend a lot of time with power back and I didn't notice the nose lowering when flap extended. Nev

I am curious why people get mad on reaction of other people? 

Pilot tried to make the best experience for jumpers, obviously didn't anticipate massive shift in CoG, aircraft stalled, then spinned, then recovered. Lessons learned, next time jumping won't be that smooth.

To my understanding, as of 2nd Dec all airline pilots will have to be current in spins..

• Like 1

Yep, a couple of things struck me.

The first was that, while Juan Browne is an excellent and knowledgeable commentator, in this case he was commenting on something that he clearly has little practical experience of.

The second was the amount of time they spent stacking that aircraft: a full 30seconds and it may have gone on longer without the stall, the way they were mucking around. During which time the aircraft is burning off height and flying on beyond the spot. Given that the thing has handles and steps, it should be easily possible to stack and leave in half that time.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Managing large C of G changes as jumpers move around in the aircraft must surely be a flight management priority for jump plane pilots.

Is this taught to them? - or do they just have to try and handle an aircraft that is developing handling upsets, as jumpers run thoughtlessly around inside the aircraft in a bunched-up manner, concentrating only on the jump, and not what their mass movements are doing to the aircrafts handling?

Did anyone notice the crossed (wrong input) controls as the DC3 (posted above by Garfly)entered the left spin? Surprise and panic would feature initially in these events!

Edited by Flightrite

You'd be safer if you had both engines  at zero power and accept a height loss. Don't use more flap than that which has most lift benefit. Twin engined planes with their extra mass on the wings are more difficult to handle once they start spinning. Probably the chutists put restraints on the pilot with what THEY'd like done but it's up to the pilot to make a few things clear. Once the time to go is there it should be as quick as possible. Yes it's DANGEROUS.  and it's best it doesn't stall, for all concerned. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1