Cessna 152 - RAA Registration??

ckaine

Hi all.I am new to RA-AUS, I have been looking for a plane to meet all my requirements, I should mention I weigh 120kg (ps have been trying to loose weight for over 10 years, don't see this as a realistic option) and ideally would like to fly with an average sized passenger.

I noticed these posts were from back in 2008. Do we know if the weight restrictions are still on the cards for change or has this idea been kiboshed?

Are there any two seat 150's currently registered?

Cheers

SIDS have made Cessna 150's an expensive aircraft to own.

• Agree 1

we've done our sids, hardly an ol'clunker any more, more like a restored 56 yr old classic an feels like new too, know this ol, clunker is still gonna outlast some of them fancy lsa's we saw around workshop already crackin up an corroding , an only a few yrs old too. gimme our ol clunker any day, stalls vo 24kts , cruise 100-105kts 172a

• Like 3

Agree! RAAus would inherit a fleet of aging aircraft that are uneconomical to maintain under GA regs and would possibly be at greater risk of structural failure because of the less rigid maintenance requirements. That would likely translate into an increased number of accidents and the attendant extra scrutiny from CASA. I have mixed feelings about increasing the MTOW for rec aircraft to 750Kg, but I'm definitely against translating some of the old metal clunkers into our fleet.

Scott, IF RAAus do get 750kg MTOW, I am sure there WIL be rules in place regarding maintenance. I can't see CASA allowing pilot /L2 maintenance for these aircraft. Even SAAA builders have to do a maint procedures course so they can maintain the aircraft they built. RAAus will have to be careful in what they may loose in trying to get a bit more weight.

• Agree 1

Scott, IF RAAus do get 750kg MTOW, I am sure there WIL be rules in place regarding maintenance. I can't see CASA allowing pilot /L2 maintenance for these aircraft. Even SAAA builders have to do a maint procedures course so they can maintain the aircraft they built. RAAus will have to be careful in what they may loose in trying to get a bit more weight.

I agree. Once a number of ex-GA Cessnas or Pipers join the RA-Aus register under the 750 kg rules, the whole ultralight ethos is lost and it will almost certainly require greater oversight (read, government interference) which will lead to a reduction of freedoms currently experienced by recreational flyers.

Beware!

• Agree 2

The maintenancr procedures course that SAAA use does not make you a proficient aircraft mechanic. All it does is point up what you have to do to comply with all the paperwarfare that CASA require. I believe it would be possible to pass the course and not know the difference between a spark plug and distributor.

Does anyone who has done the course agree with me?

• Agree 1

It has little to do with anything other than the paperwork. That appears to be the way of things today. Lots of things being retired or replaced on age rather than condition, or hours of service.. Sign out qualifications that only last a few years and have to be renewed. This gives the IMPRESSION things are ok, but not value for money. Kill aviation to make it seem safe. Nev

• Agree 1

Once the medically unfit ex-GA pilots convince RAAus / CASA to go to 750kg, and we start registering all the ancient corrosion clunkers with their dinosaur engines, the Ultralight, Recreational, Small GA aircraft will have all the problems, costs and governmental interference that the former GA pilots were trying to get away from.

Naturally the next thing they will want will be controlled airspace, night VMC and IFR.

Might as well create a commercial endorsement and start carrying a paying passenger (or two after not too long)

The only good thing is that it will leave an opening to restart an Ultralight movement.

ps, anyone know how to get that 'strike through' to work?

• Agree 5

Hi all.I am new to RA-AUS, I have been looking for a plane to meet all my requirements, I should mention I weigh 120kg (ps have been trying to loose weight for over 10 years, don't see this as a realistic option) and ideally would like to fly with an average sized passenger.

I noticed these posts were from back in 2008. Do we know if the weight restrictions are still on the cards for change or has this idea been kiboshed?

Are there any two seat 150's currently registered?

Cheers

Hi FYI the Nynja has 120kg max each seat, page 252 of the build manual. If you want info contact Greg via the Skyranger site.

Cheers

Mike

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Big Jabs will do most things better than a C150 even C172 and with a cheaper airframe to look after.

Id recommend not getting LSA restricted model unless you want to rent or train in it.

I believe even with MPC course you have to have substantially built the engine now - any clarification on this?

The weight upgrade has only fairly recently come in. The 544 kg limit increased by 10.3% to 600 kg. The proposal to extend this to 750 kg would represent a whopping 37.8% above the 544 kg limit!

The basic laws of physics come into play with such an increase. If there is a bingle with an extra 206 kg of mass, the results are potentially more damaging to:

(a) planes

(b) pilots

© the reputation of RA Aus. Before long, there will be a public clamour to extend GA-style controls to RA-Aus type aircraft (and pilots).

Beware!

• Agree 1

Guest Andys@coffs

And if you instead of comparing to 544kg compare to 1kg well then the percentage increase is simply a statistic that will surely bolster your argument position even more bettera

I don't believe RAAus will give anything away in order to gain something more..... don't consider the board to be idiots, they are not!

Even previous boards.....despite similar member disquiet,"the sky will surely fall" when at 544 and eyeing 600 in fact nothing was lost except something of import to the rag and tube brigade, and while vocal in dismay, the exact nature of what was lost was never quite pinpointed, by virtue that there wasn't anything lost...

And if you instead of comparing to 544kg compare to 1kg well then the percentage increase is simply a statistic that will surely bolster your argument position even more betteraI don't believe RAAus will give anything away in order to gain something more..... don't consider the board to be idiots, they are not!

Even previous boards.....despite similar member disquiet,"the sky will surely fall" when at 544 and eyeing 600 in fact nothing was lost except something of import to the rag and tube brigade, and while vocal in dismay, the exact nature of what was lost was never quite pinpointed, by virtue that there wasn't anything lost...

Andy:

No, we don't consider the board to be idiots, but we DO consider CASA to be evil bureaucrats with an intense aversion to risk. The board will likely not GIVE away anything, but I for one am not confident that CASA won't TAKE away some of our privileges if we start to show an increase in incidents/accidents. The situation with the Jabiru powered fleet stands as a stark reminder of how capricious bureaucrats can be.

Yes, there are well maintained old airplanes in the GA fleet that would fit into the 750kg category, but they would be in the minority. I believe the weight increase, coupled with lower maintenance and medical requirements would attract a large number of airplanes and owners that maybe shouldn't be flying. Then, the whole recreational fleet would be penalised for the failings of the few. You and I both know that this happens again and again that the many suffer for the misdeeds of the few. This is always the result of bureaucratic and political aversion to risk and also to be seen to be doing something about the latest incident.

• Agree 5
  • Winner 1

Once the medically unfit ex-GA pilots convince RAAus / CASA to go to 750kg, and we start registering all the ancient corrosion clunkers with their dinosaur engines, the Ultralight, Recreational, Small GA aircraft will have all the problems, costs and governmental interference that the former GA pilots were trying to get away from.Naturally the next thing they will want will be controlled airspace, night VMC and IFR.

Might as well create a commercial endorsement and start carrying a paying passenger (or two after not too long)

The only good thing is that it will leave an opening to restart an Ultralight movement.

ps, anyone know how to get that 'strike through' to work?

Seems yes; Highlight text click on Insert button (The one 4 to the right of smiley ) Click on strike through