Had my first pax go wrong yesterday...

He spewed. First one. Was generally seeming distracted even as we taxi'd out, and talking in short clipped bursts, and not engaging when I tried to talk to him. But seemed okay generally. Said nothing till I asked, when he said he was quesy, and then minutes later he reached for the bag. Luckily it stayed on him, not the rental plane!

I'm not sure the plastic shopping bags are the best idea, they don't open up, you need something with a wide neck that stays open.

Also get the headphones off fast unless you want to replace the sponges on them!

How do I record that in the log book?!?

Ryan

After a very bad experience with two throwing up, I give the advice to look up and out at the horizon and feel the aircraft levelling itself to the horizon. Haven't had a bad one since.

It’s worth adding to your safety brief! It’s very easy for us to forget that a lot of people suffer from air sickness! We need to remember to fly a smoothly as we can and ask them constantly how they feel.... as long as the passenger is talking you safe! It’s when they stop talking that you have to worry........

He spewed. First one. Was generally seeming distracted even as we taxi'd out, and talking in short clipped bursts, and not engaging when I tried to talk to him. But seemed okay generally. Said nothing till I asked, when he said he was quesy, and then minutes later he reached for the bag. Luckily it stayed on him, not the rental plane!

Never pleasant and the only thing that has ever made me chunder was someone else doing it on me...a sympathy thing.

I was giving joy rides in a Blanik some 30 years ago on our club's open day. Boring! Winch launch, two or three orbits and back on the ground for another.

Then this young fella came along and hopped in the front in great excitement. "Wow. Fantastic! What a blast. Let's go," he said. So we did.

I pulled up a little harder and made a bit over 2000' on the wire. Caught a weak thermal and got a bit more. He was having a ball, so I thought well, perhaps he would like some more thrills? "Yes", was the confident reply. "Beaudy", I thought.

So, after the usual checks, I lowered the nose, got about 90 knots on and pulled back. Up she went, beautiful stall turn at the top, ever so slightly inverted, pulled it through and out of the dive. Trouble started when we started to point down

I had never really heard a totally terrified scream before.

I had almost recovered to straight and level when he stopped screaming and leaned urgently across to the small vent window that was open and chundered. Carrots, peas and corn have got nothing on what this guy brought up.

And it all came back in my little vent window that was open, too! Hello Mr Venturi!

I got him on the back of his neck in sympathy!

And I'm still not sure which of us was the gladder to be back on the ground.

kaz

ps I was young and silly then and thought everyone loved flying like me. These days I am very caring of my occasional pax and do my best to make them feel safe and comfortable with me and the aeroplane.

• Like 4

Guest Howard Hughes

When you do scenic flights for a living this becomes a regular occurence.

I once had a guy who didn't have time to ask for a bag, so took off his Akubra and let fly into the hat...outback.gif.91986d60389f6b0a565fa0f2980da0a8.gif

I had never really heard a totally terrified scream before.I was young and silly then and thought everyone loved flying like me.

Kaz, I`ve never had anyone throw up but you`ve reminded me of something that happened 20 years ago!

I`d been taking club members and TIFs in the Drifter all day and was about to give it away, when this young lady came over and asked to go up, so up we went!

After doing the normal stuff, I started to put it through it`s paces ( As she`d seen me doing )and she started laughing and squealing!... I asked if she was ok and she said "Yes", so I thought,"She`s loving this", and got a little more adventurous!... She continued to laugh and squeal!

When we got back on the ground, I said " That was fun wasn`t it "!..... She looked me straight in the eye and said,.... "You`re mean, I was terrified"!!!

Months later she turned up and took some flying lessons with me!!!

Frank.

Morral of the story: Things ain`t always what they appear! Beware of laughing,squealing women!!!!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I consistently get airsick (still), so I log them by the type of russian aircraft I would have liked to be flying in at the time:

i.e Yak-1 Yak-52 Yak-1000 etc.

not really of course (about the logging).

See the daily special for today...I always carry these in the aircraft because you just never know and they have wide necks and they crystallise the contents for no spill

See the daily special for today...I always carry these in the aircraft because you just never know

There's always some bugger who will try to profit from the suffering of others.022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

OME

• Like 1

My mate through on me after about a 2hr flight, just as we were entering the circuit too. Between his shirt and my jacket! it was pretty well contained. Cleaned up, and flew the 2hrs back home again fit as a fiddle.

I'm thankful I've never been airsick, yet! So I'm hoping it will stay that way.

When you do scenic flights for a living this becomes a regular occurence.I once had a guy who didn't have time to ask for a bag, so took off his Akubra and let fly into the hat...outback.gif.91986d60389f6b0a565fa0f2980da0a8.gif

There's a rec plane big enough to wear an Akubra????

The airlines use a product called Spillfix... I did a search and found the product but couldn't find the actual kits anywhere... they contain the spillfix absorbent material, gloves, a little hard cardboard scoop and other stuff... they look to be quite handy for giving the aircraft a clean after the event...

Does anyone know if they are commercially available or is this a job for the super Clear Prop Shop?

The following link is the to Spillfix product manufacturer .... http://www.spillfix.com/oz.html

And this is a pdf download of a brochure that I found online of the kit... http://www.spillfix.com/spillfix_pdf/bro_bio_spillkit.pdf

Guest Andys@coffs

I remember being at 6SQN and having to change a Radar display (old analogue one) which had a viewing hood.....the hood and display were covered in it, the provider a professional navigator...being sick isnt only the domain of those that dont fly often.... It was an exercise, down low, turbuilent and they was going flat out to avoid a fighter, flat out down low =hot, bumpy, head in a dark hood = the need for 100% oxygen for both crew on the way home as the only means of avoiding the smell.

The only worse smell I came across was radar cooked flying fox ....

Andy

I've seen plenty of it unfortunately. Sometimes even on the ground after landing (or before departing). Maybe it was something I said.

The best things I've found are BBQ chicken bags. Get your hot tasty chicken here.

• Like 1