Bi-Plane kills RC A/C, nearly kills

Tex

Whats the go with all the Videos out there, of RC aircraft, with the blokes just standing there with the aircraft hovering/hanging off the prop,virtually beside them.Might as well build the fuselage, and dont worry about building the wings.003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Like 3

It's the Everest of skill. They are actually flying it, showing an extremely delicate touch on the controls. I can't even get close to doing it on the simulator even though I can fly a Mustang well (which is a lot harder than the trainers).

Looks like a kid's thing but it's an awesome ability.

I agree with all the above comments.It shows great skill.But I thought the whole Idea is have these very expensive R/c aircraft flying fast and doing Aero's.080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

I did as a young fella have a R/c aircraft. I guy was teaching me to fly it.I was scared i was going to crash it, so I sold it. Anyway fast forward to about 2 years ago, I bought a little electric J3 Cub, from Toy world Foam Fuselage.Cost about $200, I hand launched it.Flew it around, then on landing, (landing looked OK).The fuselage snapped through just in front of the tail, the tail wheel got caught in the grass. It must have been the the quickest way that I have spend $200.LOL

I can but a new fuse for about $25.But if it is going to break every time I fly it.I think it is better sitting on top of the beer fridge..

30 years ago I built an aeroflite hustler, you can build an RA kit plane in about twice the time I spent on that thing. I understand exactly what you mean about to scared to fly it. My brother-in-law didn't have the same problem. Gut full of throttle, straight up into a stall, turned over on the wing tip and straight into the ground, carried it home in a supermarket shopping bag

Guest Maj Millard

Well two things come to mind after watching that video. Firstly the chances of that actually happening are pretty slim...but it did happen. And secondly, obviously a total breakdown in control and communication with the incoming biplane, who should have been informed there was a radio-controlled aircraft above the runway.

Lots of handheld radios appeared right after the incident, why weren't they used before the incident to warn the incoming aircraft ?........

The flyers at Montpelier Airpark here in Townsville co-exist with a large and very active model aero club at one corner of our airfield, and they are mainly active on weekends, as a lot of us are. They have height clearance up to a 1000 ft, and regulary use it. Andrew Hicks the field controller makes sure all pilots are aware of their activity, and you have to be aware of their position just after takeoff from our most active runway. It just becomes second nature to remain away from their airspace when in our circut. Daughter and I have dropped by their little field on occasions, and are always well recieved and facinated by their aircraft, and flying skills. I also know they enjoy watching our 'real' aircraft come and go close by................................................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Well two things come to mind after watching that video. Firstly the chances of that actually happening are pretty slim...but it did happen. And secondly, obviously a total breakdown in control and communication with the incoming biplane, who should have been informed there was a radio-controlled aircraft above the runway.Lots of handheld radios appeared right after the incident, why weren't they used before the incident to warn the incoming aircraft ?........

From the commentary it appears as though the biplane took off then the R/C entered the runway and the biplane made an unannounced 'go around', smoke on for effect. When the guy (controller?) with the hand held saw the plane coming he told the biplane to go left and the RC to fly away...

I taught myself on bungee-launched 2m and 144" gliders. I think it took me a couple of years before the day I came home with them all in one piece. Then I joined a club and got some instruction (!!) and worked my way through various electric craft up to a relatively fast sport/aerobatic one. That's where I really learned to fly in front of the plane, but one day something failed near the ground and it went in hard. 086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif I just couldn't bring myself to rebuild it again (again, again...), so I picked up the bits and I never went back. I've still got one little park flyer sitting there looking pretty. Wonder if it still flies after all these years question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

Sorry there Tex, I didn't listen to the commentary as I should of.................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

MEH no need to apologise to me 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif , I only heard it as I hoped to see the damage sustained to the biplane...

I've still got one little park flyer sitting there looking pretty. Wonder if it still flies after all these years question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

If you just want to have a bit of fun occaisionally (light/no wind) get a Microstick and a few spare batteries... taildragger certified pilots only 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

• Like 2

Guest Maj Millard

Hey that 'micro-stick' is just a baby Drifter isn't it ?..just hatched. I always thought those damn Drifters looked unuasually happy when you first opened the hangar doors !!..................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Andys@coffs

It was RC flying that got me into Ultralights......not as people might think because I learned about flight etc etc

Rather it was the cost of that hobby. Fly hard and want a few different models, add all the $ up and Ultralights were cheaper or if not cheaper better feel for value for $$$

Nothing worse than spending $$$$$ on a new model and have it self destruct a few seconds into flight due radio interference/glitch. A major Australian importer of RC gear was at my club in Adelaide....he always drove the latest Merc etc, clearly his business model was spot on.

The most expensive model I had was an ME-110 twin, I only flew it once. It was overpowered (rated for 2 x 20-40 and I had 2 x supertiger 45's in it) , and if one engine produced more power than the other it would flip on its back in a heart beat. I spent most of the 3 mins sh&ting myself and landed engines off to have the best control. I reckon it was completely out of control for 30% off the flight. Still in a cupboard at home 10yrs later. Back then I reckon it represented about $1200 plus radio gear which was another $800 or so for Tx, Rx and heaps of servos. when you consider that I was too scared to fly it a second time you can see why Ultralights (Trikes 1st) represented an alternative

Andy

An old timers trick in model building is to build in a tightly rolled up garbage bag (usually in the rear of the fuse) - comes in mighty handy when you have to walk several hundred metres to the crash site and your model is in a million bits!

An old timers trick in model building is to build in a tightly rolled up garbage bag (usually in the rear of the fuse) - comes in mighty handy when you have to walk several hundred metres to the crash site and your model is in a million bits!

And I thought you were going to tell us the bag worked like a parachute when sh!t happens.

An ARF (almost ready to fly) or ready to fly Trainer

(Not Park Flyer or the very light stuff because they just aren't realistic)

There should be a hobby shop somewhere in your district where you can talk it over.

So for someone that wants to have a go at RC (battery) without investing heaps, initially - what's the best type of unit to start with??

Piggy Bank

Large size prefererred.

Hi Chris,

I can only offer this advise, based on my nephews experience who started with a cheap model.

Having been bitten with the bug, he now spends many thousands on models, but maybe you have some self control:laugh: .

Rgds

Planey

I had a couple of ARF but the flying wing like a Zagi was indestructible and an easy fix. It has a pusher prop so that makes it better in crashes as well. I learnt with that though now I prefer my 2.6m powered glider and a PT17 biplane (Same as the one at Camden, same colours). Should get a photo of the 2 next to each other.

Anyway, don't they say as you get older the toys get more expensive? I do love my JAB J230 and only fly the R/C at christmas on a friends farm. Funny pulling out R/C aircraft out of a bigger plane.

The best for a beginner or expert in one plane is a Multiplex with a pusher prop. Sorry the name escapes me.

They have a incredibly tough elapor foam and great design, nice low wing loading and fly easy. You can fly them a easy 45mins on a modest lipo battery.

Last time I watched a friend fly his, the local magpie decided the plane was a threat, so made dozens of sorties over half a hour. His flying display in combat with Mike was amazing. Sometimes he would dive from above, or below even from a high dive at the side and the wing. He had many hits on the tail that day.

We could hear his wings as the plane was so quiet with pusher and brushless motor. Amazing to watch, and no injuries on either bird or plane.

A normal rc made of wood and film, would never have survived the combat.

These are so good, many clubs flyers use them as all rounders and capable of great use and abuse.