What does your avatar tell us about you.

Guernsey

My avatar is a photo I took from the rear right seat of a Piper Pacer I was passenger in over the Wairarapa valley in New Zealand.

I have since flown in the 'hot seat' of this plane before taking up seat-of-the-pants flying in a Piper Cub earlier this year.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I joined the forum a couple years before I started flying, and being a non-pilot I didn't feel right putting an aircraft as my avatar. So I searched through my photos and found this one of a Masked Lapwing (Spurwing Plover) on an attack run, at a range of about 5 metres, expressing her displeasure at me trying to photograph her babies. I thought it was something unique and expressed the purest form of flight. I still like it so haven't changed it. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Here's the original photo....

Lapwing1-1.jpg.dfe5c813e11913449f06076690cf7916.jpg

Edit: and deltacharlie...I'm drooling over that steam roller. Wow.

• Like 7

Guest Maj Millard

972890063_Tomosphotos.jpg.a806c77168fd03cd9dd52e14fc304611.jpg

Power, that's a great shot of the lapwing attack, looks more dramatic with the background somehow.

My avatar is of my plane on final at Tomos neighbors' strip at Cecil plains Qld, (above) taken either by Tomo or his brother. I also use it as the background on my laptop. Just a great action shot that I don't get sick of looking at !..It also remimds me of being on the road which I always enjoy..I had previously landed there in a Savanah VG which I was ferrying, so this was probabily my second time there.................Thanks Tomo ........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Being serious for 4 seconds, would you mind if I used that as my Avatar OME ?You haven't told us why you chose the Emu.

Alan.

I just went to Google Images and typed in 'flying cow'. It was there, so feel free to use it.

I comes from a few years ago when I was trying to learn to fly a radio controlled glider and slope soaring. I wasn't doing so well, so I decided to 'borrow' from the song by John Williamson. (See my signature block) Luckily I was able to find the image from a record cover. That avatar has graced RC flying forums, CNC machining forums, some electronics forums, and of course this forum in its various incarnations.

Old Man Emu

• Like 1

IAN...now that I have changed my Avatar I notice that some forumites have some slogan permanently on the bottom left of their post, e.g. OME has:-

I can't fly, but I'm telling you...

I can run the pants off a kangaroo.

Is it possible to use this space on my avatar with a photo of the Morgan Sierra which was my old avatar, I would like to keep the two.

Alan the flying Guernsey Cow.

Hi Powerin I agree with Maj it looks more dramatic with the background.Have you tried showing it as the original in your avatar ?

Alan.

True, it does look more dramatic in a bigger size. But by the time it's compressed into a tiny avatar you can barely tell it's a bird. There's not a lot of contrast. So I did a fair bit of massaging, enhancing and squashing to get it down to avatar size and still look like a bird, and even then I'm not sure I was that successful. keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Also, when I first did it, the whole background of the forum sidebar was white instead of framed in blue, so it looked like a bird hanging in space above my name.

Guest Maj Millard

Power, Now that I have seen the full photo and now know what it's about , the avatar looks better to me......................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

IAN...now that I have changed my Avatar I notice that some forumites have some slogan permanently on the bottom left of their post, e.g. OME has:-I can't fly, but I'm telling you...

I can run the pants off a kangaroo.

Is it possible to use this space on my avatar with a photo of the Morgan Sierra which was my old avatar, I would like to keep the two.

Alan the flying Guernsey Cow.

Alan, it is possible to add a pic to your signature, but a bit tricky. Someone else might know an easier way.

If you go to the top RH corner of the page and hover your cursor over you username a menu will show up. Click on "signature". This is the signature editor where you add the permanent bit that appears at the bottom of your post.

You can add a pic, but it has to already be on the Internet somewhere. You can't just upload a photo into your signature, you have to provide a link. So the easiest way (I think) is to upload the photo you want into the photo gallery right here on RecFly...sorry AirPil.

• Open your gallery where you uploaded the photo and right click on the photo.

• In the menu that pops up there should be a choice to "copy image location". Click this.

• Then go to your signature editor and click on the little icon of a tree up in the top bit. This is the add/edit image button. A window will pop up where you can add a link to the pic. Right click in this box and choose "paste" in the pop up menu (or use Control-V on your keyboard) to enter the link to the pic you copied in the previous step.

Clear as mud? Now someone else is going to show you a simple way and make me look stupid.

My avatar is me sitting in the plug I used to make the moulds for my racer; project, https://picasaweb.google.com/113292981019876413104/BuildingTheLR2

A little photoshop has been used to add a canopy and U/C leg with wheel spat.

Unfortunately this project has been shelved for a while as other projects, with the promise of being finished quicker (?) have taken precedence.

This is the original photo.

Arthur.PlugAssy.jpg.0c8ce7a0af836e8ca886b8b59b20ec78.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes
That's our plane and was taken Melbourne Cup weekend at Swan Hill with a brand new Kingair for the RFDS in the background, so it's fairly recent.

A minor correction, that's actually a Pelair King Air!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

PS: Mine is a new RFDS King Air for the NSW Air Ambulance contract.

Guest Howard Hughes
I think that quote is actually attributed to 'Woody' from Toy Story

They both say it! Woody first and then Buzz later on in the movie!

My avatar is my username. Friends started calling me that when I was a teenager and they still call me that today (I looked somewhat like shaggy when I was younger, scraggly red hair on chin and all... and apparently I walked like him also. I personally don't see it)

Guest Howard Hughes
I looked somewhat like shaggy when I was younger, scraggly red hair on chin and all... and apparently I walked like him also. I personally don't see it

Do you eat like him too?

Mine is a picture of my ANO 95-10 Javelin, designed by the late Frank Bailey, powered by a Rotax 447. It is a strut braced with a pod and windscreen version of the earlier Frank Bailey Mustang.

It has a single surface wing, cruises 35Knts, VNE 45Knts, Stall 18 Knts. It is argued as being the precursor to the first single seat Thruster.

Mine is the first Morgan Sierra built by Garry Morgan & the first one I flew. I'll replace it soon with an updated pic of the one I am building now that is beginning to look like an aircraft fuselage

Guest davidh10
Mine is pretty simple...I have sent a letter off as well...just have to wait and see if I'm forgiven

My wife has been wearing a badge lately that has a pictorial Christmas theme and says "Define Good!". augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

My avatar is just my aircraft sitting on the taxiway. Yes; I know it is unimaginative. Maybe I'll change it over Christmas, if I can find something appropriate among my photos.