What does your avatar tell us about you.

Guernsey

Nice one guys - mines a bit of a long story though....

As long as I can remember I've always loved flying and aviation. As a kid I built model aircraft from kits, made paper planes and was one day introduced to a rubber-powered kit that ended up looking something like a Cessna 150. Radio control was expensive and rare-ish back then so I didn't go any further.

The years passed, I finished school, went through uni and then found myself without a job in my field due to national and world financial woes. I worked as a postie, and then as a bar manager and aircraft detailer (current). Along the way I kept up my passion for flight, but always had it as a sort of dream on the fringe of consciousness and entertained my love of motorcycles instead.

One day while looking online for a bike part I stumbled upon a radio control plane with transmitter... for around $200 or so! WOW! Things had advanced since I'd been through highschool and uni, and I did a bit of digging around before purchasing a 2.4Ghz transmitter and a plane. Within a week I was flying aerobatics in a local field. That was 18 months ago, and I now indulge my passion for RC flight as often as possible, with many kits and scratchbuilds in the hangar.

About 6 months ago I realised I wasn't going to get anywhere with the field I had a degree in anytime soon, as the labour govt. and job climate were (and still are) terrible. A bit more digging led me to calling the local field and etting up a trial introductory flight. I ended up flying 3 hours that day and commiting myelf to a CPL course! Today I'd about 60 hours up on that first encounter and have my GFPT, RA-Aus student licence (2 hours til full) and many enjoyable aviation experiences.

My avatar is a staged photo of one of my radio controlled aeroplanes - an 800mm wingspan Curtiss P-40. The groomed strip its on is a local cricket pitch :D

Basically, I'm a 'life long' aviation nut!

Cheers - boingk

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi ladies and gents,

An incredibly proud new father chose this one of his now 4 month old (she's less than a week in the pic), clearly dreaming of her first flight....baby.gif.168ad10e40c5845c810810951ae4106c.gif

The blanket was a present from my hoplessly-romantic-for-all-things-flying mother-in-law; (especially if it's powered by a V12 Merlin, or 4 of them in the case of a Lancaster!) I knew I had to marry my wife when I found this out!

• Like 2

80 knots is purely aspirational. This ASI shows that I am nearly there. 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif Now, when I get around to building my own plane (this is also aspirational), I will have to take a photo at exactly 80 knots for my avatar.

You could be TAS eighty knots ?

• Like 1

80 knots is purely aspirational. This ASI shows that I am nearly there. 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif Now, when I get around to building my own plane (this is also aspirational), I will have to take a photo at exactly 80 knots for my avatar.

Hank

By then you could build a 914i Savannah S and you can lift your sights to 95 knots, and go up a couple of shoe sizes in your carbon foot print as well!

Cheers

• Like 1

You could be TAS eighty knots ?

Of course, that's a good explanation (at an altitude of around 3,000 feet or so).

:ha ha:Thanks for pointing it out. I'll keep it in mind the next time another Forum member questions my ASI Avatar.

I hadn't seen a 1940 model before. Does it have wishbone front end or the knee action? Very nice..

I had a 1942 model. Like a 1946 except the guards stopped short of the front doors. It was a military model also and was the greatest heap of $h*t I have ever owned. Very poor quality build.. Even the steering box was porous and leaked oil. . I was a Chev fanatic and persevered with it like only a mad enthusuastic teenager would bother to do. You couldn't get american cars then . It even broke the tailshaft. The bottom rusted out of the tank, spring punched the plate out of the wishbone. It had probably done a million miles . Nev

Mines a snippet of a random larger picture i just snapped before going on a trial flight in a trike I just bought from Airborne.

Turned out the cropped image is kinda cool... on the day, my mind was anywhere but focus on taking top notch photos... Mark

• Like 1

Its a beam front end, luckly.

The knee action ones are a pain.

To own a chev is to own a oil leak.

The Viking sales have taken off so l am told, there still cagy about the new manifiold figures.

Just stating more power less fuel. No figures.086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif and of course more money for the upgrade.

regards Bruce

I'm still very curious how that Viking engine will go 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Jan is selling a lot of them, he mentioned a run of 50 engines. he is a smart business man, he buys a used engine for less than a grand, adds a gear box, manifolds and ECU on it and sells it for $13k.

Jan is selling a lot of them, he mentioned a run of 50 engines. he is a smart business man, he buys a used engine for less than a grand, adds a gear box, manifolds and ECU on it and sells it for $13k.

Shame we didn't think of it first, isn't it F-T?

Mine is from my parachuting days, my jump suit was all green as was my canopy so kermit was a natural name given to me the wings on my avatar is for this new direction giving the finger, well that's saying..... just do it

Mines a snippet of a random larger picture i just snapped before going on a trial flight in a trike I just bought from Airborne.Turned out the cropped image is kinda cool... on the day, my mind was anywhere but focus on taking top notch photos... Mark

I love how your daughter describes "Dad's big kite.." It's sooo cute!

I love how your daughter describes "Dad's big kite.." It's sooo cute!

I know, I thought it was pretty funny... And since I couldn't think of a funny signature myself, I used her interpretation of trike... I did show her a video of one taking off and flying first so she got the idea...

• 2 weeks later...
I was going through some old backups and found the Avatar that Nev (Facthunter) use to use...so Nev, if you want to use it again it's yours:[ATTACH=full]16348[/ATTACH]

Here is another one from the same family:

[ATTACH=full]16346[/ATTACH]

Perhaps this is not a bad one for FactHunter? The Avatar FH has now really needs an update ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif

Arm-Yourself-with-Facts-300x231.jpg.26ea73c6104052a15f5ff7e0a83df3a0.jpg

OR maybe this one?

httpwww.genengnews_com.jpg.241bf528e6c6a3ca7e24e89249e52107.jpg

Were taking nominations now for a facthunter avatar upgrade. What's your vote?

I liked his original one, with the airliner passing by the full moon.

Bob

Hey Ian, some avatars are interesting, and I would really like to be able to click on them get a much bigger picture to have a better look.

Of course, we would have to upload a higher resolution version of our avatar. A mark of somekind should indicate one is available.

Jack.

Guest Howard Hughes

At 80 knots my aircraft can't even get airborne....022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Hey Ian, some avatars are interesting, and I would really like to be able to click on them get a much bigger picture to have a better look.Of course, we would have to upload a higher resolution version of our avatar. A mark of somekind should indicate one is available.

Jack.

Avatars can be uploaded at a size of 200px x 200px

However they are scaled down to 100 x 100 for display in the forums but they will be displayed at 200 x 200 in the user's profile page if the user has uploaded a larger avatar. For example if you go to my profile page you will see my avatar which is 200 x 200 displayed.