First solo :-)

009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif OMG! I did my first solo today in the drifter at Bradfield - just west of Atkinsons Dam in QLD! What an awesome feeling to be fully in charge of such a beast. I was so excited while I was up there on my own I was "yahooing" by the time I turned crosswind.

Had to contend with some thermals on downwind that were definitely more violent with only my weight in the plane but managed to keep it together. And managed to touchdown ok after a light bounce.

Now only a couple more hours to hone my skills in the drifter and then i can continue my training in our RV9A. A big thanks to Jimbo my instructor for his patience. I'm sure we'll be able to concentrate now on moving forward. 101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif

596205658_IMG_0104(2).jpg.359e524e9fe783541f1799e6255a7f06.jpg

• Like 10

I wouldn't call it a "beast" but it is a significant achievement to solo in a drifter. It's a real plane and don't let anybody tell you it is less than that. All the ones I flew were SB's . ( supposed to be a bit cruder, and need a bit more power.) Congratulations. Keep having fun. Nev

Well done and congratulations Robyn I would have loved to hear your down wind radio call.......Yahoo Bradfield this is Yahoo Drifter 1234 Turning down wind Yahoo for runway 21 Yahoo on my first solo Yahoo Bradfield and anyone else who is listening YAHOO! 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Alan.

• Like 2

Congrats Robyn, awesome feeling I know, I remember my first solo like it was yesterday...!

And good on you for choosing the Drifter to start you flying experience in, its my opinion that the Drifter is one of the best Aircraft to develop stick and rudder skills that will stay with you for flying life.

Keep up the good work...!

JimG

• Like 1

Good Job, Robyn, and you know well for me it is anyway, very hard on the instructors nerves while your up there on your own, even though i know i have done everything i can i am like the non stop chimney, i give chain smoking a whole new meaning on the first solo of every one :) and damn i had 2 last week so i went 2 days with out a smoke after that 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your comments. Your support is very much appreciated.

I'd like to add - especially for anyone out there still learning - that I didn't think last weekend's flight would happen. Leading up to it I was questioning why I was learning to fly, and whether I had it in me to be "pilot in command" after relying on my husband for so long. All the week before I was battling with myself - every bone in my body was not wanting to go for another lesson, but my heart knew I would be disappointed if I didn't. Everyone I spoke to said everyone goes through this, so I forced myself to book in for my lesson.

And it was the best thing I could have done. Flying solo is the most exhilarating thing I have ever done - and I've done a lot of thrilling things - and now I know why I am taking flying lessons. So I can get up there on my own, away from it all, fully in control, and hopefully land safely back on the ground.

So I just wanted to share this with anyone struggling with their training. Ignore the doubts and the fears and just do it. Otherwise you might miss the best experience of your life!

012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...