Wanted - your favourite landing videos!

So per the advice of so many here, I found that spending some dedicated time each day on visualising every detail of the circuit really helped. Only place it got a little fuzzy was the landing... and sure enough, on Sunday my circuits were great but the landings needed help... So thought I might mentally split the 2 activities and concentrate on just visualising the landing bit since I appear to be getting the takeoff and circuit turns/levels/speeds into my muscle memory.

Of course I can (and will) search youtube and google, but would also like some examples from some of you who think that there might be one that shows it particularly well, or if there is one that shows it poorly, that can be instructional too...

anyone have any favourites to share? Similar layout to Jab 170 would be most helpful, but any and all appreciated!

Watching landings is something you have more ability to analise as you get more experience. There might be something out there that is instructional, but It may conflict with the method you are being taught, so I would hesitate to recommend it.

I'm always wary of looking at something that says "how to do perfect landings."Nev

Good point you bring up Nev, and I should clarify - not looking for anything instructional or "how to do perfect landings" as such, as much as just trying to get a cross-section of other people's experiences, in lieu of my own until I gain more. This is one of the few areas in life where being over-analytical actually works in my favour! 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

....anyone have any favourites to share? Similar layout to Jab 170 would be most helpful, but any and all appreciated!

I have a few favourite landing videos you may be interested in, both from a cockpit viewpoint and a bystander viewpoint.

Here is a recent 'circuits' video at Watts Bridge with a number of landings:

I hope this helps 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Thanks guys! I should explain, I have a bit of a problem with attention span (at least mentally... when I am *doing something* such as flying, I seem to manage to hold a train of thought) so unless I write it out or watch it repetitively enough to where *I* don't have to produce the mental movie, I am just as likely to start composing my grocery list about the time I get to "lower flaps", which in turn I won't complete because I'll then start thinking about something I need for the car, then something going on at work, then... ooooo! SQUIRREL!!

So this really does help, more than you know.

Landings are definately something you just have to do and feel for yourself. (After instruction of course). The feeling of a good landing and also a good cross wind landing will allways put a big grin in my face!

The last one is what I want to be able to do with my Savannah after I get plenty of practice of course. This is where we takeoff and land from it is my instructors place and I have the same aircraft a VG XL I have just built. Most of all my circuit work is done at Caloundra as it is only 7nm from Beewah

Mark

• Like 1

Most videos are either seen from between the seats or from the right hand seat. Here's one I did a couple of years ago as seen from the pilots perspective. I hope it helps you.

• Like 4

Most videos are either seen from between the seats or from the right hand seat. Here's one I did a couple of years ago as seen from the pilots perspective. I hope it helps you.

Beautiful, exactly what I had in mind! Nice touch n go too, what's the climb rate on that thing??

Thanks all, these are really helping me out! Bet I nail em next time!

haha, well that one certainly strains the notion of "any landing you walk away from is a good one", but it was instructional to watch - and I bet if he'd had more choices, he'd have brought it down fine. Guess the lesson there is try not to spend too much time over areas where you can't find a spot if your engine dies! Pucker factor on that bit where he glided towards the powerlines???

Ayavner:

The best advice I ever got when getting started on landing was "Don't land" Actually, the aim was to get the airplane as close to the ground without landing as possible (with the power at idle) and try to keep it from landing. Of course, when you're that close to the ground, you also have to do whatever it takes to keep it straight and level or you'll get into trouble.

• Like 1

Beautiful, exactly what I had in mind! Nice touch n go too, what's the climb rate on that thing??Thanks all, these are really helping me out! Bet I nail em next time!

Not sure really. Climb is set at 72knots and as long as it's positive, I don't care.