Off airport landings legality

Lol, I love the way we always compare ourselves to the yanks. i'll spare you all my personel opinion of the good old U S of A, but I reckon they cant hold a candle to Australia, on the whole. You couldn't pay me to live there. It would be a nice place, if it wasnt for all the Americans...hehehe:amazon:

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got a magazine cover photo with the Grand Tetons in the background towering above even though we were above 10,000 ft. I guess the Husky and Pitts would've disturbed the lonely fisherman 50 miles from civilization who complained to the Sheriff who raced airside with sirens and flashing lights just after we landed. Rule is at least 3,000 ft AGL overflying that area (unless aircraft performance does not permit) and we were above that height.

We got a magazine cover photo with the Grand Tetons in the background towering above even though we were above 10,000 ft. I guess the Husky and Pitts would've disturbed the lonely fisherman 50 miles from civilization who complained to the Sheriff who raced airside with sirens and flashing lights just after we landed. Rule is at least 3,000 ft AGL overflying that area (unless aircraft performance does not permit) and we were above that height.

Bugger ... is that all ... I was hoping for a good story ... LOL.

Perhaps an alternative to not landing where you're not supposed to is to do what the balloonists used to do way back. That is, carry bottles of champagne, and land wherever you need to, and then hand the champagne to the land owner as a sweetner!

Guest turk182
Perhaps an alternative to not landing where you're not supposed to is to do what the balloonists used to do way back. That is, carry bottles of champagne, and land wherever you need to, and then hand the champagne to the land owner as a sweetner!

Yeh I guess the dirty spark plug wouldn't really cut it with a balloon!

• 6 years later...

Sorry for the necro, but this was never answered and I’m curious about beach landings too. My partner had the mad idea of me flying her son to his wedding reception on the beach. It got me thinking, is there a way to legally do that? Maybe a one off permit from the local council?

To much "drift" and you will be in strife. It must be OK. Mates of mine have done a lot of it. Right!

There's a risk judging the hardness of the sand so some luck needed. and skill. The slope makes the plane turn as does the wind or one wheel in the water. It's like many things. If you pull it off you may have got away with it. If you don't, the attention is on you... The SALT wrecks your plane anyhow. Nev

I think I'm going to take that as a NO then, seeing as how there tends to be quite a few people at a wedding reception 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gifI'm definitely not going to skirt around any grey areas for this...

As far as permissions go, below the high water mark is less of one.

I guess a sick passenger could constitute a necessary beach landing which shouldn't generate too much paperwork, its amazing how quick they can get better once back on terra firma. yuck.gif.4c85ff36d4d9a0bd466be4926a1ba11e.gif

Gliders have always landed in paddocks. The law as I was told is that it is quite legal to land in any paddock. But the farmer has a right to get paid for any damage done during the landing and subsequent retrieve. The insurance should cover that.

Last time I looked at the figures, a good crop of wheat was worth about 5 cents per square metre. You just google up yields and prices to get this figure.

So if you have damaged 100 sq metres then you should pay $5, or your insurance should pay this.

Once a farmer wanted to charge a thousand dollars or so but he came down after a club member, who was also a farmer, visited him and talked real numbers.

Personally, I have always been treated well by the farmers and have never done any damage. And sometimes they have not been around and would have been unaware that their paddock had been used. If you do this, be sure to close any gates.

Farm dogs have never been a problem either. If they were, I would have carried some dog biscuits in the outlanding kit.

• Like 1

Gliders have always landed in paddocks. The law as I was told is that it is quite legal to land in any paddock. But the farmer has a right to get paid for any damage done during the landing and subsequent retrieve. The insurance should cover that.Last time I looked at the figures, a good crop of wheat was worth about 5 cents per square metre. You just google up yields and prices to get this figure.

So if you have damaged 100 sq metres then you should pay $5, or your insurance should pay this.

Once a farmer wanted to charge a thousand dollars or so but he came down after a club member, who was also a farmer, visited him and talked real numbers.

Personally, I have always been treated well by the farmers and have never done any damage. And sometimes they have not been around and would have been unaware that their paddock had been used. If you do this, be sure to close any gates.

Farm dogs have never been a problem either. If they were, I would have carried some dog biscuits in the outlanding kit.

Leave the gates as you found them. Don't close them unless you found them that way.

• Agree 1

Yes that's right...the rule is to leave gates as you found them. I did know that and should have said it better.

...and the reason for that is usually to give the stock access to water after a bore breaks down in one paddock.