We need a spell checker on this site.

Herm

Ian can you help..

I am the worst speller in the world and I just had my Father (Guernsey) sending me a private message to assist me with my spelling.. He means well, and he is correct but he should remember how many hours he spent when I was young, teaching me to spell and add up. I did not work! 083_lost.gif.2c655b36c89d6cff882e0dc8f9fc5e85.gif

No he was not bad at it, he did not realise that I was partly dyslexic. But then again when I was young in the 70s I did not know he had a perm, I just thought he had been eating lots of bread crusts. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

There have been a few posts about spelling so I think some of us need it. I can do other things well (not many) so I still think I am balanced. Arn't I?blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

I know lots of people that are very academic, but often they can’t fit a key in lock LOL But you can't help them on this forum, but you may be able to help me

Mardy

• Like 3

There should be a spell checker with your internet browser...when you type something and a red line appears under a word it means the spelling is incorrect

There should be a spell checker with your internet browser...when you type something and a red line appears under a word it means the spelling is incorrect

Then you right click on the incorrect word and it gives you options for the correct spelling 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Not if you are using an iPad. Isn't everyone using one now? Or Android.... Are you allowed to forum and spell check whilst flying?

Mardy

Ian can you help.. I am the worst speller in the world and I just had my Father (Guernsey) sending me a private message to assist me with my spelling.. He means well, and he is correct but he should remember how many hours he spent when I was young, teaching me to spell and add up. I did not work! 083_lost.gif.2c655b36c89d6cff882e0dc8f9fc5e85.gif

No he was not bad at it, he did not realise that I was partly dyslexic. But then again when I was young in the 70s I did not know he had a perm, I just thought he had been eating lots of bread crusts. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

There have been a few posts about spelling so I think some of us need it. I can do other things well (not many) so I still think I am balanced. Arn't I?blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

I know lots of people that are very academic, but often they can’t fit a key in lock LOL But you can't help them on this forum, but you may be able to help me

Mardy

Don't worry about it too much, we have had spelling discussions on here, but I haven't noticed too much criticism.

It can be dyslexic, but I believe it relates back to the spelling lessons we had from age 9 to 12. Miss a class and often you miss 3 words for life.

One good idea is when you are uncertain of a word, look it up and write it down, then study it and use a memory trigger (i before e except after c when pronounced "ee" etc)

It's surprising how you'll improve just picking up a word at a time.

Spell checkers will let you down in many ways.

Thanks for that. I did not know this was an option.. Great help... Thanks also for your help turbo.. The problem when you have a dyslexic problem is that it is not consistent. It's not at all about the learning process. I often am not able to spell words that I use every day. Just for that moment. Or I will type fast and notice that I have put letters in the wrong order even when I know it's wrong.. It's a rather difficult thing to explain and that is why they have special tests to find out if you have it.... I had the same problem working in an electronic workshop. Yet on a practical level I have no problems at all. Anyway I have some settings to change on my iPad....

Ydram

...It can be dyslexic, but I believe it relates back to the spelling lessons we had from age 9 to 12. Miss a class and often you miss 3 words for life....

I had a similar problem at school when I missed a week of school while we were doing multiplication in maths. I now have to repetitively add....008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

The problem with spelling is that most people who are not good at it still spell a lot of words correctly. Misspelt words stand out and even more-so if combined with poor grammar. In the following piece of text there are only a few 2 and 3 letter words that are spelt correctly but it is still easy to read because the first and last letters of each word are in the right place.

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe."

• Like 4

Don't worry too much Herm, certainly don't let it stop you posting.

If I occasionally feel unsure how a word is spelt, I just open MS Word which is on most computers, type the word then hit the spell check button.

You might find this easier for you, if you're unsure.

Hope this helps.

Rgds

Planey

• Like 1

Not if you are using an iPad. Isn't everyone using one now? Or Android.... Are you allowed to forum and spell check whilst flying?

Mardy

It's incredibly difficult to make a spelling error on an iPad. It corrects as you go, and learns new words like arvo when you insist that's what you meant to say.

Guest Howard Hughes
It's incredibly difficult to make a spelling error on an iPad. It corrects as you go, and learns new words like arvo when you insist that's what you meant to say.

In that case I blame the (i) generation for the drop in spelling standards....022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

The real cause of poor spelling is the dumb spelling used in English

Here is the solution:

Changing of the English Language

Having chosen English as the preferred language in the EEC, the European

Parliament has commissioned a feasibility study in ways of improving

efficiency in communications between Government departments.

European officials have often pointed out that English spelling is

unnecessarily difficult - for example, cough, plough, rough, through and

thorough. What is clearly needed is a phased programme of changes to

iron out these anomalies. The programme would, of course, be

administered by a committee staff at top level by participating nations.

In the first year, for example, the committee would suggest using 's'

instead of the soft 'c'. Sertainly, sivil servants in all sities would

resieve this news with joy. Then the hard 'c' could be replaced by 'k'

sinse both letters are pronounsed alike. Not only would this klear up

konfusion in the minds of klerikal workers, but typewriters kould be

made with one less letter.

There would be growing enthusiasm when in the sekond year, it kould be

announsed that the troublesome 'ph' would henseforth be written 'f'.

This would make words like 'fotograf' twenty per sent shorter in print.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted

to reash the stage where more komplikated shanges are possible.

Governments would enkourage the removal of double letters which have

always been a deterent to akurate speling.

We would al agre that the horible mes of silent 'e's in the languag is

disgrasful. Therefor we kould drop thes and kontinu to read and writ as

though nothing had hapend. By this tim it would be four years sins the

skem began and peopl would be reseptive to steps sutsh as replasing 'th'

by 'z'. Perhaps zen ze funktion of 'w' kould be taken on by 'v', vitsh

is, after al, half a 'w'. Shortly after zis, ze unesesary 'o kould be

dropd from words kontaining 'ou'. Similar arguments vud of kors be aplid

to ozer kombinations of leters.

Kontinuing zis proses yer after yer, ve vud eventuli hav a reli sensibl

riten styl. After tventi yers zer vud be no mor trubls, difikultis and

evrivun vud fin it ezi tu understand ech ozer. Ze drems of the Guvermnt vid finali haf kum tru!

• Like 2

The real cause of poor spelling is the dumb spelling used in EnglishHere is the solution:

Changing of the English Language.....

Kontinuing zis proses yer after yer, ve vud eventuli hav a reli sensibl

riten styl. After tventi yers zer vud be no mor trubls, difikultis and

evrivun vud fin it ezi tu understand ech ozer. Ze drems of the Guvermnt vid finali haf kum tru!

Vouldn't it be easier if'n we just vent straight to German?

gagged.gif.60d96579bce4672c685d482e13fb64dd.gif

One more English horrible thing, certain words have the same sound but differant spelling,: So: Sew: Sow: the next word you say to exlpain their prenunciation IS NOT a written word !.

But if anyone would like a "world language" its called,: Esperanto. was told many eons ago that it is in most 1st world countries, any globe trotters like to check foreign phonebooks,

just for the fun of it.

cheers Bryan