I've had enough

pete8862

Well after only two years of flying the thrill has past, I've decided to hang up the flying jacket & go back to boating. I'm not sure what happened to the need to fly like i used to have, could have been the recent spate of aviation related accidents. Thanks to all the people who offered encouragment while I was getting my pilots certificate.

Hopefuly the urge will return.

Pete

• Like 2

Hi Pete, I have had mutli breaks over the years from flying.Some times the breaks have been mutliple years. A fair few do. Best of luck with your future endeavors.Hopefully we will see you in the air at some stage.

Guest Maj Millard

Hey Pete , enjoyed having you around that's for sure, and really you've had two more flying years than most folks on the planet, so nothing lost there. You will always have the memories, and I hope they will be pleasant ones. Take care my friend in your future adventures....................................Cheers Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I know how you feel Pete...I am going through another one of those stages myself at the moment. The point is, you don't have to leave the ground to enjoy the passion. Why not, if you can spare some cash on a decent PC...set up a Flight Sim at home and forget about real world flying for a little bit...have some fun using a Sim with MS Flight Sim or X-Plane until the urge to get back up there comes back again.

Yep, she is a stubborn addiction, I started in 1988 quit in 1990 and then quite by accident resumed in 2007. Pete don't do what I did and lose your log book! I am betting you will be back soon:smile:

• Like 2

I know how you feel Pete...I am going through another one of those stages myself at the moment. The point is, you don't have to leave the ground to enjoy the passion. Why not, if you can spare some cash on a decent PC...set up a Flight Sim at home and forget about real world flying for a little bit...have some fun using a Sim with MS Flight Sim or X-Plane until the urge to get back up there comes back again.

Go fly models for a bit... I agree... You won't get aviation out of your blood that easily. That is dying talk for pilots.

• Like 2

Hahaha...You'll be back...They always come back... I like your optimism in thinking you can quit, thats the spirit. But she's a stubborn addiction,008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gifsuper_hero.gif.5d50ddb84d4e7e727183b80b4acbc28c.gif

Yup I have in & out of aeroplanes since 1987.More out than in.lol But I have been in regularly this time since 2008.

Licensed in 1978. Married in 1981. Career till 2006. Scored an aviation related job in 2006. Back in the cockpit in 2007. Finding Life too darned busy to do some refreshing and a BFR, but I've got an appointment for a Class 3 medical later this month. You'll be back at some runway's threshold before too long!

OME

I was told the best day of your life is when you buy a plane or a boat, the second best day of your life is when you sell it. Also the three things that will always take your money if it Flys, Floats or F- 096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif you can work out the last one.

• Like 3

I second not losing your log book! I learnt to fly in 1988, quit in 1992 and came back in 2010. I did lose my logbook so have no way of proving my previous hours so learn from my mistake :)

What I would do if I had my time over would be to just keep current by doing a little bit of flying every few months or so and. To giving it away completely like I did.

Best of luck though whatever you get up to.

• Like 1

When I lost my log book I was able to get a copy from RAaus, when I first got my pilot cert in 1988 the Flying School had to send a copy of the logbook to AUF when you passed your flight test. Amazingly they found it for me, so I only lost about 20 hours but luckily I kept all my endorsements. However best advice is don't chuck it out because you don't think you will fly again:smash pc:

• Like 2

Thanks Guys,I have enjoyed the flying, & I would love to get back to it later. It has been very helpful being able to read the advice on this site & to talk to experienced pilots.

Pete

Pete8862, it has been nice having you on the Forum.

But, don't leave altogether. Have a lurk once in a while -in between your boating adventures- and, if you feel inclined tell us how you're going.

I'm having an enforced break from flying for fiscal reasons but, as soon as I am able, I want to get back in the air. My prediction is that you'll be back in the air within a couple of years 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif .

All the best, Pete!!

Pete:

Someone on these forums has the comment line

"I don't have a flying problem. I can give it up any time I like"

I love that one. I don't have a flying problem either. I give it up at least once a week...

Have fun in the boats, but after flying, I'm betting you'll find it a little dull.

Pete. You will always hold the memories and probably come back some time in the future. I also have been a sailor and the big difference between flying and sailing, is the fact that on aboat you can take a few friends and you are all at home when you drop the pick. You can have a few drinks at the mooring and that is very hard to do in a flying setup. I came back to flying, because I don't like salt water.

Any one is entitled to reassess their priorities. Flying has a certain amount of addiction factor once you have done a fair bit of it. It is an "element" you get to know. I am sure the sea is similar. I used to do a lot of sailing in my youth and still like to occasionally. I also like gliding. Which one(s) you do depend a lot on time available and the social interaction that you find around you. Nev

• Like 2

Well after only two years of flying the thrill has past, I've decided to hang up the flying jacket & go back to boating. I'm not sure what happened to the need to fly like i used to have, could have been the recent spate of aviation related accidents. Thanks to all the people who offered encouragment while I was getting my pilots certificate.Hopefuly the urge will return.

Pete

Oh hec Pete,

Last time i did that mate i got caught in a storm off Kangaroo Island SA, thought i was a gonna for sure got the boat back in to the Cape and sold it the next week. I then purchased an Aircraft again, i love flying over boats in crap weather ha.

Accidents are a fact of life and yes they can have the uncany was of happening in spates, but even during these periods you are at much greater risk of injury or worse each time you drive your car. this is fact.

Do some time with a good bush pilot learn their methods precise landing, off field as well, it all builds confidence choosing tracks that traverse more friendly ground, enroute planning ect forward thinking know where the wind is and take note of paddocks and tracks that maybe useable at all times, then if you do have an issue all the important info is already in mind, just fly the plane , it works and if you get someone experienced to do some of this with you your confidence and enjoyment will return, it unfortunate that these days a lot of students never get to do real off field landings or even learn to read the ground well. hope this helps you bud, give it a try cheers Steve

• Like 4

Go fly models for a bit... I agree... You won't get aviation out of your blood that easily. That is dying talk for pilots.

Another good clip from the Master of film clips and videos!

I have an old timer which is about 2/3rds that size, just love them they are so much fun both in the building and flying.

• Like 1

Another good clip from the Master of film clips and videos!I have an old timer which is about 2/3rds that size, just love them they are so much fun both in the building and flying.

If I was going to build a RC model that big. I would make it slightly bigger so I could hop in it.080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 1