Pre-flight reminder...

Tomo

Whatever it takes. Leaving the control lock in place is the worst thing. There's an image of a Caribou on U tube. Goes straight in to the right . real bad.... Nev

Thats the preflight check you do when you don't do a preflight check. [any complaints, see my scriptwriter]

Just looked at it. He had pitch contol and rudder control but no aileron control-guess they were locked at the ailerons but giving some control stick/wheel movement taking up slack. If that doesnt scare you then you are in the wrong game.

Read some more-a gust lock handle knob was found imbedded in the captain's hand so did not have time to free the controls. Apparently the one of the gust lock pins re-engaged because it was not proerly disengaged. For those who do their checks in a hurry.....

Just a photo I saw and thought it a good reminder to actually check the plane before we jump in and fly off...

553950_546783928668550_792712456_n.jpg

They wont get me like that...My Auster has a decal on the instrument board reminding me to "Remove Nosewheel Lock Before Flight"!

Kaz

G'day Tomo

Where did you get the photo from as a cessna 206(I think) came overhead today on final at Deniliquin and the tow bar was still on the front wheel, but sticking forward.

Seems a co-incidence that you post this photo and one of our members seen the same thing today.

Cheers

Bruce

Hey Bruce, I just saw it on a facebook page and thought it was a good reminder.

That guy in the 206 was mighty lucky it didn't hit the prop! I always make a habit of removing the tow bar... the tow bar remains in the hand when it's attached to the aircraft... is my point of view.

• Like 1

Good Morning Tomo

The guys who saw it were on their way to the airport and they stopped the guy as he was taxi-ing in, his first words were, have I forgot to remove the tow bar.

It was sticking straight out the front and very lucky that it did not hit the prop.

I guess nobody is perfect but something as simple as that could have very bad results.

Bruce

Guest Maj Millard

Unfortunatly more common than you may think, most are picked up as one taxis and hears a funny scrapping sound !...On a taildragger you would be unlucky not to feel the thing as you steered for taxi. On the subject of gustlocks...they are one of the most dangerous items you can put on an aircraft, and have killed many over the years. The rudder gustlock is the most commonly left on.

On the aircraft I work on they are fitted with a standard installed gust lock on the rudder, but the have been permanatly removed and reside up in the dusty loft somewhere, which is an ideal place for them next to the rubbish bin.

There is a regulated requirement in our CASRs that a pilot must operate all flight controls prior to flight. IE: check full range of motion, free and correct. I learnt to fly in the US and I can't recall the US FARs having a similiar written reg.

I like compulsions suggestion in post #2, where you do you normal preflight checks and then stand back for a minute for a general look over. This does work and I use the method also, it is a last check before climbing in and a double check that fuel caps are on, tow-sticks and engine-bungs removed. Good post Tomo on a real potential safety problem................................................Maj...011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

MM said: There is a regulated requirement in our CASRs that a pilot must operate all flight controls prior to flightM

Out of boredom as well I am doing that several times while taxiing. Incredible you need a regulated requirement. Like having a regulated requirement to move your feet back and forth if you want to walk.

• Like 1

Hey Bruce, I just saw it on a facebook page and thought it was a good reminder.That guy in the 206 was mighty lucky it didn't hit the prop! I always make a habit of removing the tow bar... the tow bar remains in the hand when it's attached to the aircraft... is my point of view.

Great rule Tomo, that takes care of human factors much more strongly.

Kaz, the V115 fuel tap has big engraved "ON", "OFF" signs; I still managed (because the previous pilot left the fuel turned on) to turn it to "Off", very fortunately on the long taxy to the Moorabbin Holding Bays where the engine stopped.

Two guys in an executive jet in Germany left the gust lock (which I imagine would have had a draped red ribbon in the control column), and couldn't work out what was wrong as they stayed on the ground not only to the take off point but off the end of the runway and into a nearby industrial zone.

So I like Tomo's safety valve.

I've always pulled the shoulder harness down tight whenever I pull on to a race track, so firstly it's at maximum tension in case I forgot, but also that the harness is done up.......which is wasn't one night.

Major, in Las Vegas it was "Oh, your from Australia, here's the key buddy, off you go", and when I said "No, you're coming with me to do the radio, and he reluctantly got in while I was doing pre-startup checks, he said "What in HELL are you doin. let's go, let's GO!"

G'day TomoWhere did you get the photo from as a cessna 206(I think) came overhead today on final at Deniliquin and the tow bar was still on the front wheel, but sticking forward.

Seems a co-incidence that you post this photo and one of our members seen the same thing today.

Cheers

Bruce

Hey Bruce, I just saw it on a facebook page and thought it was a good reminder.That guy in the 206 was mighty lucky it didn't hit the prop! I always make a habit of removing the tow bar... the tow bar remains in the hand when it's attached to the aircraft... is my point of view.

Possibly my facebook page. I posted it on the 3 rd of Nov. I got ot from M.I.L.F (Man I Like Flying).Tomo & I are close.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

back in 2005 my old bunyip had a stupid pito tube stop were the ribbon was on a ring so you slipped that on first then slipped the stop/plug on last,one morning after my ussuall 20 odd min pre flight it fogged in so I decided to put the stop on (mud wasps were bad at that farm) ,NO ribbon just the stop and have a cuppa or 2. an hr later I did another 10-15 min pre flight and jumped in I did my ussuall look out to make sure controls are moving threwout range . whilst I taxied out I was looking at the wings and stutts and noticed the stop still on! blood run cold moment..I removed it and after later glued the ribbon to the stop....I know a few pilots become complacent but I have found myself doing the oppersite,the more I fly the more detailed my inspections have become and now I take pax, 30 mins is not unusual for waiting for me to do pre flight and have a bad/good habbit of pre take off checking every thing at least 5 times whilst taxing and I mean feeling the fuel lock off over and over to be sure.. the more accidents I here the more I seem to pre flight these days...

• Like 1

back in 2005 my old bunyip had a stupid pito tube stop were the ribbon was on a ring so you slipped that on first then slipped the stop/plug on last,one morning after my ussuall 20 odd min pre flight it fogged in so I decided to put the stop on (mud wasps were bad at that farm) ,NO ribbon just the stop and have a cuppa or 2. an hr later I did another 10-15 min pre flight and jumped in I did my ussuall look out to make sure controls are moving threwout range . whilst I taxied out I was looking at the wings and stutts and noticed the stop still on! blood run cold moment..I removed it and after later glued the ribbon to the stop....I know a few pilots become complacent but I have found myself doing the oppersite,the more I fly the more detailed my inspections have become and now I take pax, 30 mins is not unusual for waiting for me to do pre flight and have a bad/good habbit of pre take off checking every thing at least 5 times whilst taxing and I mean feeling the fuel lock off over and over to be sure.. the more accidents I here the more I seem to pre flight these days...

I hope that will happen to me too. I'm a perfectionist, so there's a good chance of that. In any case, I'd fly with you any day. I don't mind waiting at all, when there's a reason to wait.

• Like 1

heres another eg...after I bought my thruster I researched every thing I could including crash history an AD's,was happy to find only the one on different model(yes the stainless wing/strutt bracket).I went down to vic to gain my T.W and other endourcments but mainly to become familiur with the beast(thruster)before attempting any solo flight in my lil 95.10,,the first day the instructor showed me his T500 and suggested I drag it out the hanger whilst he shoots back home for 15 mins(might of been a quickie I don,t know.lol) anyway I dragged it out and started the pre flight in detail,last things I checked were the stainless wing box's and the left rear wing box gussets were cracked? As im a lil shy,and hate judging or being judged I was a lil embarressed to have to let him know (me a mear student and him a pilot of 43 tears and instructor of 30 years) however when he came back the first thing he asked was "did you pre flight it? YES! did you find anything? well accually! and I sheepishly told him He then pulled out some sort of dye,a light and a magnifiying eyepieace then had a look and said,you have done well,we wont be flying today!!! my thoughts damn...it was repaired and we were off next morning but the instructor commented again on my eye for detail..(hmm eye for detail or eye for survival?)

Another time I was invited for a ride in a coyotye ( spelling?(same hanger) and TRUSTED the judgment and compitantcy of the pilot,after flight as I was waiting for my ride I began looking over the coyotye and was just having a look at the underside of engine/cowling when I noticed the engine frame had a LARGE crack in it.again I felt reserved to inform the owner but felt it my duty to let him know..delama..So I told the CFI to have a look as Im not sure if its anything or not (of coarse i new) and another plane grounded.. so a lil moral for all pax..Dont be afraid or embarressed to pre flight a plane on which you will be risking your life in..I just started involving my PAX in the pre flight -more eyes,kills there bordem/anxioty and I believe eases there nervs a bit , (well unless they find somthing?)....

also want to ad to Tommo I like your stand back and have a last look around, I do this but its genarally just admiring my beast...:)

• Like 6

I've always pulled the shoulder harness down tight whenever I pull on to a race track, so firstly it's at maximum tension in case I forgot, but also that the harness is done up.......which is wasn't one night. ]I always did the same thing Turbo and had the same result one night. It pays to be a person of habit.

Kaz, the V115 fuel tap has big engraved "ON", "OFF" signs; I still managed (because the previous pilot left the fuel turned on) to turn it to "Off", very fortunately on the long taxy to the Moorabbin Holding Bays where the engine stopped.

You survived a 115 , TP? Was that with RVAC? By golly, they sorted a few out over the decade, didn't they?

Kaz