Positions available at RAAus

Admin

The Board Exec certainly gives me the impression that they have not got the slightest clue when it comes to recruitment. Despite a string of failures, they again have lurched into a poorly planned recruitment process. "Better to get someone quickly than someone good" seems to be their rationale. Choose a Canberra only agency for a National Association chief executive. How can you give the job to a recruitment agency when you don't even have a job description done?

Does it go like this:

RA: "Get us somebody quick, we're desperate.

F2F: "What's the job you want done?"

RA: "Can't say because we haven't worked that out yet"

F2F: "No problem, we'll put an advert on Seek for one week, in the school hols, and and see if anyone notices"

RA: "Must have a charismatic disposition!"

Good grief! Can't we do better than this?

• Like 8

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to the add on seek applications do close on the 18th of January...http://www.seek.com.au/Job/general-manager-recreational-aviation-australia/in/act-act/23800239

I would presume they already have a candidate in mind?

Windsor, I also tend to agree that the curent exec have candidates in mind for both positions and have had so for a while. Watch this space.

• Like 1

Guest airsick

It's almost 5:30 on the Tuesday before applications close and still, I haven't received a position description. Anyone smell a rat?!?

Guest airsick

Got an email about it this evening. Apparently the board still hasn't approved the job description. Seems they are dragging the chain. Why would you authorise an recruitment campaign and not have everything in order before you go live?!?

Be nice to have some understanding of what is going on. Jim? John? Gavin (god forbid...)?

Got an email about it this evening. Apparently the board still hasn't approved the job description. Seems they are dragging the chain. Why would you authorise an recruitment campaign and not have everything in order before you go live?!?Be nice to have some understanding of what is going on. Jim? John? Gavin (god forbid...)?

So we have option B...

"they" have made another hash of it.

How long ago did the committee know that Tizzard would be finishing and how many committee members are there available to create a PD and then initiate a discussion on it

How long ago did the committee know that Tizzard would be finishing and how many committee members are there available to create a PD and then initiate a discussion on it

Most companies undertake some sort of similar recruiting. I and many of you will have done it and there is nothing to it if you are just a little bit organised.

This exercise by RAA is another clear example of incompetence at Executive level, and this makes RAA look even more dysfunctional (and pathetic) than it did before this p*ss-poor effort.

Any decent potential candidate will run a mile when they have this clear example shoved in their faces of how this Executive and Board operate.

Not good enough Paul, Eugene and the defacto Steve. Please get out of the way and allow RAA to pick up it's game.

• Like 4

Getting up a CEO/General Manager PD without attending to the governance and management structures would be almost impossible. When it comes to crafting a PD the Opts Manual is flawed and the default position still remains with the Executive for most decisions. It is the later that is splitting the board and is the cause of most angst. Until the majority of board members accept responsibility for their part in residing over a dysfunctional governance system nothing will change. Professional help is available outside the knowledge base of the Executive. Just a matter of biting the bullet. What about it board? How about supporting one another in doing the job you were elected to do on behalf of the membership.

Pete

• Like 2

Guest airsick
Most companies undertake some sort of similar recruiting. I and many of you will have done it and there is nothing to it if you are just a little bit organised.This exercise by RAA is another clear example of incompetence at Executive level, and this makes RAA look even more dysfunctional (and pathetic) than it did before this p*ss-poor effort.

Any decent potential candidate will run a mile when they have this clear example shoved in their faces of how this Executive and Board operate.

Not good enough Paul, Eugene and the defacto Steve. Please get out of the way and allow RAA to pick up it's game.

I think your on the money Captain. The problem we have here is that most good candidates are asking for a position description so they can respond appropriately. Of course they can't do this at the moment because the conversation has gone much along the lines of:

RAA: Come work for us as a GM.

Applicant: What does the job entail and what skills/attributes do I need?

RAA: We don't know.

So what we end up with is a bunch of good candidates either not being afforded the time to prepare a good response, good candidates not wanting to get involved for fear of being associated with such a mess, etc. This, together with a bunch of bad candidates that have already applied based on some loose statements made in a job ad.

Essentially anyone who has already made an application is probably not worth appointing. And anyone worth appointing probably hasn't (and won't) put in an application.

Congratulations to the board, where is the polling booth? I want to vote you guys straight back in, bugger waiting for the next election?!?!

So what we end up with is a bunch of good candidates either not being afforded the time to prepare a good response, good candidates not wanting to get involved for fear of being associated with such a mess, etc. This, together with a bunch of bad candidates that have already applied based on some loose statements made in a job ad.

Essentially anyone who has already made an application is probably not worth appointing. And anyone worth appointing probably hasn't (and won't) put in an application.

You're missing a category.

The good candidate who wants to be part of the solution.

• Like 1

You're missing a category.The good candidate who wants to be part of the solution.

Cooda,

I predict that the vast majority of members who will attend the General Meeting on Feb 9th are good members who want to be part of the solution.

Re you post # 125, of course there will be divergent views amongst the 13,000, no 12,000, no 11,000, no 10,000 or maybe 9,000 members, but how big a mess must RAA get into before you accept that the main view opposing this Executive is the right view?

I suggest that you and all other members come to Canberra on Feb 9th to hear, discuss and debate the list of grievances and charges where this Executive & Board have not met their fiduciary & management/stewardship obligations ..... and anything else that the membership chooses to raise.

Regards Geoff

how big a mess must RAA get into before you accept that the main view opposing this Executive is the right view?

I'm not sure where I've said that it's the wrong view, Geoff. 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

I don't have the history here of most contributors and I must admit to findng these threads compelling reading.

However, as John Mc shows on the other thread, there is always the possibility for misconceptions to arise in internet forums and for discussions move off on a tangent.

So, I am trying to sort the wheat from the chaff as we go along.

Nevertheless, the committee hasn't covered itself in glory in its responses to the current issues.

I probably won't be able to get to the EGM so I'm currently looking at my proxy options.

Cheers

To All Interested RAAus Members,

I have received a reply email from Sue at the RAAus office who has stated that the Proxy Forms will be posted out to Members next week.096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif

I fail to see how a new GM can be interviewed and employed without a detailed job description; one that sets out the key selection criteria (KSC's) against which the applicant will be measured.

Once employed, the GM's performance should be measured against clearly articulated key performance indicators (KPI's). These should be set by the Committee in conjunction with the GM and be largely based upon the job description.

So how can you employ someone without that basic ingredient...the job description?

Kaz

• Like 3

I fail to see how a new GM can be interviewed and employed without a detailed job description; one that sets out the key selection criteria (KSC's) against which the applicant will be measured.Once employed, the GM's performance should be measured against clearly articulated key performance indicators (KPI's). These should be set by the Committee in conjunction with the GM and be largely based upon the job description.

So how can you employ someone without that basic ingredient...the job description?

Kaz

The only way you could do that with any chance of even a remote amount of success is if the GM has nothing of importance to do or the person applying already knows what the job description is.

• Like 1

Guest Andys@coffs

CFI proxy forms shouldn't be an issue, what you will be sent is a blank form which is included in the constitution that is on the RAAus website. If people are concerned they can print their own off today

Im much more concerned that we are having a post out when the whole reason for the delay was to avoid a post out........we as stupid members cant create a cost to the organisation but its ok if the exec do......talk about a double standard!

andy

Hi Andy, I wonder if you could edit your post with the first paragraph in BOLD CAPITALS so that some members don't miss it.I'll leave it up to you.

Alan.

MEMBERS WHO WANT A PROXY FORM:

1. You should receive one in the mail in due course.

2. If you want to print out your own download the RAAus Constitution from here.

3. Read Rule 30 on page 19 of the constitution (and while you're at it read the whole thing)

4. Print out page 22 (choose to print only page 22 after you click Print).

• Like 1

I fail to see how a new GM can be interviewed and employed without a detailed job description; one that sets out the key selection criteria (KSC's) against which the applicant will be measured.

My mate spoke to F2F this morning.

The gist is that they have been swamped with applications, are still waiting for the job description to be signed off and they are also dealing with other clients with higher priority recruitments. (The person nominated on Seek as the point of contact is away until next week.)

The current plan is to give all applicants a copy of the JD when it is available and allow them time to provide a detailed response to the criteria.

He was assured that his expression of interest had been received and he would be sent the JD.

Seems to be a case of "hurry up and wait".

• 2 weeks later...

Well Face 2 Face sent out the job description on Wednesday 16th Jan for a job closing two days later on Friday 18th Jan.

Face to Face then just extended it to the Sunday night.

How can anyone descent put in for a job that has a micky mouse advertising recruitment programme and process. In total three different closing dates, two different processes for applications ( first through RAA then over to Face 2 Face when the heat was on)

We need a new board.!!

• Agree 1

Has anybody seen the Job Descriptions for GM and Tech Manager?

Applications have closed (I think) so they are not on the F2F web site.

What is in them?

DWF