Positions available at RAAus

Admin

Guest Maj Millard

For those like Riley who may be digging out their dentures from the coffee cup....: The saying "he shxxs birdseed" came from my skydiving days in the 70s. When jumping on a big load (10+ jumpers, up to 40 jumpers out of a DC-3) one may have enquired "what's that guy fly like?" you may have got the reply: "Don't worry about him mate, he shxxs birdseed !" which ment he was a safe, and top flyer in freefall, and someone you didn't need to keep one eye on..With that many bodies in the sky, especially at opening time, it was no place for careless types........................................................Maj...063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a look at Face2Face - they don't have any jobs at the moment (but it is a quiet time of year) so they should be able to give us their full attention. They have looked after the Not-for-Profit sector before (testimonials from Lifeline etc). Their strength is in being a boutique local agency with the dedication and flexibility of a small business. Depending on what services were engaged, they may visit the office to gauge for themselves the kind of employee who would best suit the position, do PDs, advertising and do all the settling-in and review.

Unfortunately it would have been better to engage them at the beginning of the process. If RAA builds a relationship with them it will make recruitment easier and more transparent, and possibly slow the staff turn-over. My best experiences have been with these smaller agencies.

Well done for getting this one up Jim.

Sue

• Like 1

Ok members, the outsourcing was suggested by me. The previous appointments have been a huge failure so why do something that we are not skilled at. Give it to professionals.I contacted 4 agencies myself, three did not respond, one other did and said they would come back with a proposal and they didn't. Face to Face was the only group that even appeared professional.

So if any one here has any more negative comments to put forward do me a favour and call your rep before typing. Again we (board) are trying to fix the damage and move forward to a better RAA.

Regards,

Jim Tatlock

Vic Rep.

Hi Jim

I think it is a really sensible move for many reasons, not just the desire to get some expertise into the process.

It should reassure everyone to know that it is being handled at arms length from the somewhat beleaguered executive and that it is the subject of scrutiny of the whole committee. It will mean it is carried out in a more transparent manner and might serve to reassure potential applicants that they will receive fair treatment with no apprehension of bias. This has to be good for everyone, not just those who might apply.

I am interested to know if F2F will do the final selection or whether they will provide the Commitee with a short list but I appreciate that may not even have been decided as yet or it may be information to be kept in confidence.

Thank you for your efforts and the clear vision you are bringing to the organisation.

Merry Christmas

Kaz

• Like 3

Guest Maj Millard

With you there Viz, are they a country-wide agency, or more localized down there in the South. I'm sure they would advertise the positions in our magazine so as to cover all the membership, however if they are looking to fill by Feb I'm not so sure if that is going to happen. Hopefully they'll make the effort to reach the right canidates, and not just take the first who appear suitable. That's where we have gone wrong in the past.............Maj... 064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

I did a search for the Technical Manger and General Manager positions on the usual job pages (Seek, Trovit etc) and came up a blank. So I guess the only job advert was in our magazine. However I did come across the Admin Assist (ASIC) which closed 12 Dec with the Office Administrator - surely an added burden she does not need at this time - interviewing etc. Money well spent to throw this to an agency so staff can concentrate on registrations with the phone and email running hot.

Sue

An agency (if they are good) should have some advantages. It IS their game and look at what the previous efforts of our folks have produced. Keep hanging in here Jim T.

Maj... The next brave "sole" to do the techmans job will probably just flounder around. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

Maj... The next brave "sole" to do the techmans job will probably just flounder around. Nev

Well sorry, but it won't be this brave soul that's for sure !!............................................Maj...baby.gif.168ad10e40c5845c810810951ae4106c.gif 086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif

Would have been nice if they had done the organisation review, rejigged the org structure so that the Tech Manager reports to the GM. Not to the Board through the GM. And then perhaps clarified the GMs job description and the Tech Managers as well. A more realistic time to closure of applications and wider advertising particularly of the GM role might have been more convincing.

Assistance of a recruitment consultancy can be helpful or a smokescreen. Who knows what this will be? Quick closing of the applications period does raise an eyebrow. As always, proof will be in the pudding. Was somebody's mate given the job or will it be genuine, for a change.

Will the "preferred candidate" be given the interview questions beforehand and coached in the answers?

One thing is very clear - the current Exec should stand aside from the selection process due to their previous string of abject failures.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Personally I feel that the suitability critera should include the applicant being a current active UL, or recreational pilot, and a paid-up member of the RAAus or AUF for at least five years, (10 would be good). He/she should definitly hold a current RAA pilots' certificate with some endorsments. there should be no preferential selection treatment given to an instructor or cfi, and certainly no preferential treatment for GA only pilots, or CASA people. Tried that ...didn't work..I have no preference to either gender, Jill Bailey for instance would be the classic example of what I'd be looking for ..................................................Maj...032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

Guest Maj Millard

I have just spent some time perusing the Australian Parachute Federation (APF) website. The APF is the closest comparable self regulating sporting body to the RAAus in this country. They have certainly been up and running much longer than the RAAus (sport parachuting began in the late 50s in this country) and this shows in the organized management side of things in their organization.

I left the sport in 1977, so there are a heap of names in management that I am not familiar with.

But the main point I wish to make here is that there are no less than eight poeple in high office bearing positions, who were around during my period of 1968-1977. So these people have been in the sport for around 40 years now!.. That's utilizing your body of experience very well in my opinion.....This body has recognized their experienced members, and has put them in positions of leadership and governance.!..........most likely the reason the APF is the very cohesive, efficient, and internationally recognized sporting organization that it is today.

Those people are : (taken fron the APF website)

Dave Smith:.....current APF President, experienced jumper from the 70s....one of first 8 Senior Parachute Rigger ratings issued by the department in the early 70s (I was one of the 8 also).

Graeme Windsor:....current office bearer, recently held APF national Senior Safety officer position, experienced jumper from the 70s, highly regarded in International parachuting organizations.

Graham Hill:....Highly experienced jumper from the 70s, one of the first to jump square ram-air chutes in this country, held many safety officer positions over the years, current member APF board of directors and management commitee.

Bruce Towers:...on APF board of directors, highly experienced jumper from the 70s.

Paul Osborne:.....Experienced jumper from the 70s, now major drop-zone operator.

Faye Cox:....highly experienced jumper from the 60s !, internationally recognized sporting judge.

Ray Williams:.....Highly experienced jumper from the 70s..

Joe Chitty:...experienced jumper from the 70s, one of the first 8 senior parachute rigger ratings issues by the department in the early 70s. Still highly recognized for his rigger skills.

Our sporting body the RAAus, (prev AUF) although not as old as the APF, has just as much experience, and talent to draw upon for our guidance commitees and boards. These are the people, (not newbys) that we need to recruit, and put at the top, and these are the types of people that our membership would respect and work with. Who better to manage and operate our organization than those who have spent years building and supporting it ??............................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Don, I may consider running for NQld rep when it comes up next...we'll see, there are plenty of good qualified canidates out there....................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Don, I may consider running for NQld rep when it comes up next...we'll see, there are plenty of good qualified canidates out there....................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

This year you were going to but wouldn't stand against Runciman...would you now?

Guest Maj Millard

Jim Tatlock where have you gone?,... you dropped out at post #12, and your silence is now deafening !....I'd enjoy your continued imput on this subject.............................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Ian, I still believe Steve Runciman is a good man to have in management in our organization. Without wanting to wade into his current political quagmire, he has leadership skills and organizing abilities that the RAAus still needs, especially right now. I, like many others, was dissapointed with his aliance with ST, and the lack of communication re: the failed audits, however if he decides to continue, he'll still get my support as Nqld rep. When the NQld board elections come up this year, I will look at his profile and position then, and decide if I'll choose to run in his place. ..................................................Maj...063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

In the 37 years that i have been a member of the APF i never voted for any person into any APF position.

http://www.apf.asn.au/default.aspx?ArticleID=140#Office_Bearers

The members of each states council are the main controlling group.

All members of boards and committees are made up of those that have significantly contributed to the sport over many years.

There was over the past early years a problem with the old boys club syndrome that caused the sport to falter but this changed about ten years ago as the old school started to retire from active jumping or sold out their commercial interests. Restructuring has since prevented this from reocurring and along with moving out of Canberra has seen the APF rapidly become a world leader in the sport.

There is no way that the RAAus could be set up like the APF but the RAAus should at least strive to become a similar controlling group.

hopefully this will start to happen on the 9th when the RAAus begins it's long needed overhaul.

Didn't Runciman resigned recently leaving a vacancy for NQ?

Personally I feel that the suitability critera should include the applicant being a current active UL, or recreational pilot, and a paid-up member of the RAAus or AUF for at least five years, (10 would be good). He/she should definitly hold a current RAA pilots' certificate with some endorsments. there should be no preferential selection treatment given to an instructor or cfi, and certainly no preferential treatment for GA only pilots, or CASA people. Tried that ...didn't work..I have no preference to either gender, Jill Bailey for instance would be the classic example of what I'd be looking for ..................................................Maj...032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

I personally think that these sort of criteria should be 'preferred but not essential', the essential stuff would be engineering quals and a good understanding of quality processes. It's not enough to love aviating, the right people will be able to work in a process based system. That is where we have been let down in the past, all the good intention in the world will get us nowhere if it doesn't comply with the system. Regardless of common sense (and I really hate to say that), boxes must be ticked, I's must be dotted and T's crossed. So what we need is box ticking, pen pushing legal/accountant types.
  • Like 2

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks for that Nomad,

Alfa...As far as I know he is still the president regardless of the mechanics that have evolved around that resignation/withdrawal of resignation.

Spriteah, What type of candidate do you think we need in our management structure ?...Do you think it is important to maintain people with experience in our sport, in the higher held positions....For instance should the president position be one of honor, and filled by someone we can look up to and respect, as someone who has the past experience to call upon in leading our organization in the right direction ?..or are we simply filling vacant office seats here via an employment agency ?....I do feel strongly that the people at the top making the important decisions about the direction of our sport on the memberships behalf , should at least have some experience in the sport itself...................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif