Positions available at RAAus

Admin

Maybe looking for younger blood...I know over fifties are finding difficult to find a job no matter what your qualifications are sorry to say, I know I was in that position last year looking for a job..

David

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A bit hard to hide 24 years. I reckon he should have clarified that it included the first 20 years of a new start public service, which was all about outcomes rather than process. (Sadly it's caught up with the other public services now and is totally process and precedent driven.)

I'm biased because I know the guy and he's got a good record in bringing stability, growth and bridge building; areas it looks like the association needs at the moment.

Not saying he is necessarily the best candidate but very surprising the panel didn't want to talk to him.

As DGL says, he's probably seen as too old.

Guest Andys@coffs

Im pretty upbeat about the recruitment process at the present, cant go into details as why that is at present, however if your mate wasnt selected for interview then on paper, they must have had better candidates. Whether whats on paper is aligned to reality is always the issue, after all the ability to be a great fiction writter isnt a prereq for many jobs! Im pretty sure that the organisation aim is to select a fantastic candidate and if those chosen for interview dont stack up in the face to face interviews then Im sure they'll deep dive and have another go, so while your mate hasnt made it yet, stand by cause the whole process isnt over yet by a long shot!

Andy

the whole process isnt over yet by a long shot!

Now that is a worry, Andy.

Having stuffed around with the initial recruitment process, I'd like to think they can at least bring it home in a competent manner.

As to what's on paper, my mate was not sent a copy of the job description and chased it up when he learned that the deadline for responses was the following day.

He had 18 hours in a busy schedule to address a 5 page Selection Criteria.

He's actually chuffed that he got to the top 6 in the circumstances.

Guest Andys@coffs
Now that is a worry, Andy.Having stuffed around with the initial recruitment process, I'd like to think they can at least bring it home in a competent manner.

As to what's on paper, my mate was not sent a copy of the job description and chased it up when he learned that the deadline for responses was the following day.

He had 18 hours in a busy schedule to address a 5 page Selection Criteria.

He's actually chuffed that he got to the top 6 in the circumstances.

I didnt mean anything negative in the " not over by a long shot" rather that I believe we are looking for the best candidate fullstop. It will take what it will take to get to that end point...

I didnt mean anything negative in the " not over by a long shot" rather that I believe we are looking for the best candidate fullstop. It will take what it will take to get to that end point...

I would put it down to the candidate that best suits the needs of the executive rather than the best candidate for the member's needs.

It does not fill me with confidence that a person who is in the final six was not furnished the selection criteria until actually ASKING for them. Was this the case for ALL applicants? Would a fair and equitable selection process demand that all applicants be given the same opportunities and timeframe in which to address all aspects of their application?

I smell a rat.

This does indeed have all the hallmarks of a job "placement" for a crony, using the cover of a supposed fair selection system..

• Agree 3

Without knowing the relationship between the RAAus Board/Executive and the yet to be appointments of General Manager/CEO and Technical Manager, it is difficult to know if there will be changes to the RAAus governance and management structure. I would guess that if power and control is retained by the "Executive", then there will be no change at all.

The administration of the CASA contract must be the responsibility of the new General Manager/CEO, reporting to the full Board, and someone who needs to be across all aspects of the contract for its successful implementation. The GM/CEO must also be responsible for the allocation of resources to ensure that the contract is compliant and the Board is meeting its governance obligations with CASA. That is the role of a GM/CEO.

The Technical Manager, reporting to the GM/CEO, is one such resource, along with the technology required to keep costs to a minimum and the audit a matter of routine.

The CASA contract can no longer be administered by a dithering Executive utilising antiqued systems - not effective, not efficient, and at times, not compliant.

This is not rocket science. RAAus Board members who understand the basic principles of governance and management must be wondering what to do next?

A not over-confident Pete

• Agree 4

Does anyone know if the interviews for GM/CEO and Tech Manager have happened yet?

If they have not, when will they take place? 038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif

When will we know the results? 064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Guest Escadrille

David , Is there a CV on Wayne Matthews? Good to hear he is a great bloke but can you tell us something of his experience, training and expertise?063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

I don't personally have his CV.

Here is a very brief summary of what I can remember which might not be 100% kosher, but here goes.

Wayne is an ex Australian Defense Force Engineer, then a flight engineer in the US on large jets for many years. Has an American wife who keeps him honest, a son in the Oz air-force. Owns an historic 1946 J3 Cub (Ra Aus registered) that his father acquired and has been in the family for many decades. Was operating out of Gunnedah.

Wayne is an RA Aus instructor and L4 (I think). Ran the aircraft maintenance courses at Natfly in 2011. Very methodical and disciplined in his approach which is just what we need.

And on top of all that he is a great amenable fellow, but wont bend the rules for anyone.

Guest Escadrille

David thanks very much for that info wrt Wayne. He certainly seems like a "Great bloke and perfect for the role. " Lets hope he enjoys the job,can keep on top of the workload and is supported by the Executive and Board. Let us also hope he is a fair and reasonable guy to work with the members as well.

Good Luck Wayne and Best Wishes!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Andy

Congrats Wayne! Haven't seen him post here for quite a while, while we disagreed over one thing that I can recall (unrelated to RA-Aus), he certainly was one of people whose voice (text) I read closely and whose contributions I personally valued.

• Like 2

We have a new Tech manager ... Wayne Mathews, he starts on Monday morning. Great bloke and perfect for the role. Well done Board of RA Aus, done us proud.

Bloody fantastic! That restores some faith back in to the RAA. Wayne is the best guy for this job. Yes I know him personally and have flown with him and am not being bias. There is not much this fellow doesnt know about aircraft engineering! Well done Wayne!

Scotty 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

• Agree 1

Wayne to Earth... Come in Earth... Yep, I'm over the moon about being selected as the Tech Manager, and I feel honoured to be given the oportunity to be part of the team involved in what I'm thinking of as a healing process.

Thanks for the kind words and support fellahs. But there's a couple of things that I'd like to correct please.

I'm not the Mathews who is the supa/aeropup guru, Alan. That's another Mathews whom I've yet to meet.

Over the couple of years I've been posting here, I can't remember an instance when I've been able to say to David Isaac, "Sorry Mate, but you've got that wrong." But then I've never heard him talking about me before, so it's not really a level playing field is it?... I'm an L3, not an L4 David... Thank you for the promotion, but I haven't earnt it yet so I'll hold off on that one for the moment. The rest of what you've said is pretty right. I joined the RAAF in '68 as a 16 year old apprentice on #22 intake. I graduated as an Airframe Fitter from what was, and may well still be, the strictest boarding school in Australia, the RAAF School of Technical Training (RSTT) at Forrest Hill, Wagga NSW. And I did spend time as a check and training flight engineer on some of the biggest aircraft out there, before I chucked it in and came back to Australia in 2004, bought a motel lease to pay for my habit, and proceeded to get involved with recreational aviation and the people who fly for the pure joy of it.

I've actually got three sons in the Australian Defence Forces. Lincoln is a W.O. in the RAAF. Nathan is a Sergeant in the Army (but flying on helicopters as a crewy). And young James is coming up for his LACs in the RAAF. I also have a daughter, but Lorene has chosen to return to America and is working for a publishing house over there.

Thanks again for the kind words and suport fellahs.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 3

Welcome Wayne

I do hope that you can keep up with the paper work and the pressure of starting somewhere behind scratch.

Looking forward to your Tec Manager report in the Mag.

Good news for all

Phil

Guest Maj Millard

Welcome Wayne, and congratulations on your new job. I also joined the RAAF in 68 as a safety Equippo, and spent time at Richmond, and then Willytown with Mirages. Your love for recreational flying and for those that also love it is obvious, and that's a damn good start in your position. Your a lucky man to own a J3 Cub, one of my favorites also. I'm a fairly active L2 up here in the North, so I look foward to touching base with you at some stage.....................Cheers Maj..011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif