Positions available at RAAus

Admin

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just checked with my mate.He's heard nothing since he spoke to them on the 17th. Hasn't received a copy of the Job Description.

While sourcing the right GM is critical to RAA and a having the job on the market for 2 - 4 days is ridiculous, there is little more basic in business than preparing a Job Description (but a bit harder if RAA have never had one before), and then retaining a competent recruiter to run a proper recruitment effort.

This is another activity where the Executive have made a hash of it and RAA continues from stuff-up to stuff-up and is more of a laughing stock than before.

What more simple indication is there that this Executive and some on the Board simply just aren't up to the task.

They might be the nicest and best meaning volunteers in the world, but if they don't have the skills to get this done with reasonable professionalism, then what are they doing there?

Or is this recruiting fiasco perhaps just so that they can shoehorn another of their mates into the job without proper process, same as they did with Tizzard?

Or perhaps they will blame one of the hard working permanent staff members again.

This is like watching the death & destruction of this once proud association by a thousand cuts.

Regards Geoff

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

every organisation and company i have worked for that turned to KPI's has never been a pleasant or productive place since the introduction of KPI's as a measure of performance.

KPI's are just that "Indicators" and their impact is completely related to "what" they are indicating...so if you apply them to say Employees, then Employees are affected, apply them to Sales Figures, and the Sales Dept are affected...you can have a KPI on the number of broken rear view mirrors in a Bus Company and the impacts may only affect the Bus Drivers...can you see what I am getting at, it all comes down to what the KPI's are applied to that will affect what and who...you could have KPI's that have absolutely no affect on Employees

• Agree 2

sadly a big well know company i worked for many years KPI's became the number 1 and only factor to focus on, and ever since, customers service has hit the floor, maintenance quality, staff morale, and even route structure has been dramatically reduced in the pursuit over ever better KPI's but that would be the result of management and up applying the KPI's to items that did not improve productivity, customer satisfaction, or improving the brand sadly.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

sadly a big well know company i worked for many years KPI's became the number 1 and only factor to focus on, and ever since, customers service has hit the floor, maintenance quality, staff morale, and even route structure has been dramatically reduced in the pursuit over ever better KPI's but that would be the result of management and up applying the KPI's to items that did not improve productivity, customer satisfaction, or improving the brand sadly.

You see Ultralights, KPI's are really good but have got a bad name by employees etc due to what and why management have applied them...if you do use KPI's on say Employees performance then there should also be a KPI on Employee satisfaction or "happiness" in their job to balance them out...if they are used in the wrong hands then they become destructive rather then tools of improvement. The biggest advantage of KPI's is to use them as a means of ascertaining "IF" the strategic plan of the organisation is on track as a means of measuring quantifiable objectives developed within the Strategic Plan.

A tool I use, and have used very effectively in the past, is MOST (Mission, Objectives, Strategies and Tasks) and all would simply be words on a piece of paper without some means of measuring whether those Tasks are working in the Strategies to deliver the Objectives based on the organisation's Mission

• Agree 2

KPI is just a name.

You need a benchmark to judge whether a task is being done (correctly) or an objective is being reached otherwise there is no way to know how you are going, where you are going and if you have got there. You can call it what you like - KPI is just a name for a method of assessing performance.

Ian is correct in saying (I think) that it is choosing the correct/appropriate KPIs that is the critical factor.

You have to know what you want or where you are going before you can see if you have arrived.

I think part of the current problem is that nobody is really sure of where they are going or what they want/need to achieve so they are wandering around staggering from crisis to crisis.

We need a bit more proactive planning rather than just running around putting out spot fires.

Remember PPPPP.

DWF

077_smash_pc.gif.f5903d27a57d2bd4c7b9e20e21a3465c.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

The company I work for has KPI's for about 95% of employees. I am in the 5 % that doesnt ATM. Some of the KPIs are silly. Eg- every shift (14 days) 6 observations must be completed.A observation can be positive or negative.Also it can be a Hazard hunt. What has happened is that it has became a tick the box exercise.Employees, will make things up. Eg- "Large rock on road, large rock removed". etc etc. Also other KPI's are good I guess eg- Store manager must have a stock level of 97% or higher over the 12 months.How it works at our company is that everybody with KPI's can get a maximum of 15 % of their wage as a once a year bonus. 8 percent is KPI's & the other 7 % is how the company as a whole has performed. The company never meets its performance target. And most peeps never meet their KPI's so the average bonus is around 9 %. I have a sh!t kickers job, so I will get about 7%.

A relative of mine works for a petroleum company in Bris Vegas. He is supposed to do 2 hazard hunts per week as his KPI's. If he does all of them, they will give him a whopping $1000 bonus.He told them to keep their grand & he wont do any hazard hunts. LOL

I find organisational "re-birthing" a great and fascinating topic having done many studies on this over many years especially the "Crisis" points an organisation goes through in their standard growth path. Many many years ago as a part of my MBA studies I did a document outlining my key to success in strategic planning and re-birthing of organisations under proper processes by understanding more about being an organisation. It will probably bore a lot of people but I have attached a doc that I did some 20 years ago if anyone is interested. It includes what I believe is the most important aspect what an organisation needs to do and that is first understanding what their "Value Chain" is...what they are in business to do whether it be commercial or non-profit, it still comes down to their Value Chain and the effective management of it...NOTE: The attached doc is a draft and not final as the final after being submitted was on my PC at the time which experienced a hard disk failure and I lost it and only had this draft on my backup.

thevaluechain.zip

thevaluechain.zip

thevaluechain.zip

• Like 2

Which indicator would you rather see in the Tech Mangers KPIs.

15% of renewal applications rejected on first presentation.

or

95% of renewal applications processed with 1 working day.

It all depends on how you write the KPIs and how they relate to the objectives of the organisation.

• Agree 2

Key Performance Indicators can be very good or very bad.It depends on what the KPI's are & are they actually achievable. I am not qualified to recommend what the KPI's should be for the GM & tech roles etc. I dont think the dudes in the OBC are qualified either.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I would say for a Tech Manager you would set up the KPI on not how much he would achieve in a day a month or a year but the accuracy that he performs his duties, maybe you would get an independant assessor in each month or every quarter to go through his work and check that he has done his work in a accuate and timely fashion and then give him a performance % say each quarter for arguement sake, which after 4 quarters gives him a total score for the year, that would then determine if he is performing or whether he needs extra training or the big boot ???

I don't know if that make any sense but how I would see a KPI working in this instance.

David

• Agree 1

Yes but we have to have an appointed Tech manager to be able to do KPI's with. We can get things underway in the meanwhile.

The way this current board is working we won't have a Tech manager until ???

So who is rewriting the Tech manual that has to be completed in March for CASA under our deed of agreement ??

Is it our illustrious: Board secretary / or is it the acting CEO or is it the acting Tech manager/aircraft files fixer, currently all filled by the one person. This will be his fourth job at once. In the past it took three to do these jobs, now we have it being done by ONE.

Like Dazza and Ultralights were saying, I'm very wary of KPI's. For the company I work for, KPI's have become a total obsession.

In my experience KPI's linked to bonuses breed corruption, document falsification and poor business decision making.

I live this on a daily basis and there is NOTHING MORE IMPORTANT than good KPI's. Profit, productivity and everything else rests below KPI's (at least in a departmental sense)

It needs to be realised that poor KPI"s against an individual may not necessarily mean they have NOT worked hard or made bad decisions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

I would say for a Tech Manager you would set up the KPI on not how much he would achieve in a day a month or a year but the accuracy that he performs his duties, maybe you would get an independant assessor in each month or every quarter to go through his work and check that he has done his work in a accuate and timely fashion and then give him a performance % say each quarter for arguement sake, which after 4 quarters gives him a total score for the year, that would then determine if he is performing or whether he needs extra training or the big boot ???I don't know if that make any sense but how I would see a KPI working in this instance.

David

CASA is in effect doing this in their audits of RAAus.

• Agree 1

So who is rewriting the Tech manual that has to be completed in March for CASA under our deed of agreement ??

If CASA, like any other good public service, advised it has to be done by 'March', then we can all relax until they define the year... na_na.gif.fad5d8f0b336d92dbd4b3819d01d62e5.gif

If, by some act of pure miracle, something is done by March, it will go to CASA, sit with Sport Aviation for a bit, get assessed, go back to RA-Aus for reworking, go back to Sport Aviation, and repeat over and over until the lingo is right...

Once everyone has finally decided they couldn't be bothered arguing anymore, it gets passed to the CASA Legal department, who will take to it with the big red pen and make comments on it that make no aviation sense whatsoever, send it back to RA-Aus and the cycle continues. It will do that for a minimum of 6 months.

I would be interested to know what needs to be 're-written', as opposed to what actually needs to be written as it is not present.

Or is this recruiting fiasco perhaps just so that they can shoehorn another of their mates into the job without proper process, same as they did with Tizzard?

I think you've hit the nail on the head - don't be at all surprised if this is the case!

• Agree 2

The exec are working on the assumption that they will probably get the boot at the meeting so having an inside man could be very beneficial to prevent any blow back if there is further problems with non-compliance with CASA.

• Caution 1

This is where the trail period will work in our favour. If the new recruit leans towards protecting the old guard he can be dismissed

• 3 weeks later...

Things seem to be moving on the GM front.

45 applications, 6 resumes referred to the board and, of these, 4 to be interviewed.

As my mate made the last 6 but not the final 4, it must be a strong field.

Mid-50s, pilot member, 15 years CEO of an industry self regulator, 24 years public sector including executive and ministerial adviser, member and/or chair of several boards and an aviation tragic, including past Treasurer of the local aviation historical society - and willing to take a significant pay cut to help the association.

Yup, the remaining 4 must be bloody good candidates if he didn't rate an interview.