Cheap 2 seater anyone?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep the Moyes Dragonfly has beaten you it could be confusing. The air gap on the pick up sensors needs to be as close as you can get it, also it will need to be rotated faster than the points version and the spark will appear weak, the plugs can be set at 15 thou. Another thing you can check is the strength of the magnets, (hard unless you have another one to compare it with).

Dragonfly is a cool name, does bring to mind the Moyes Dragonfly tho, don't know if that matters, anyway more power to you having a good go!

Libelle is the word for Dragonfly in German... there is only one other aircraft I have heard that carries this name and it is a sailplane.

Dragonfly is a cool name, does bring to mind the Moyes Dragonfly tho, don't know if that matters, anyway more power to you having a good go!

Damn. Of course, I thought someone had used the name before, I just couldn't place it. Can't use that then, especially being another Aussie plane.

Well, sort of Aussie, Moyes build, Californian Bob Bailey design. A truly wonderful loitering plane, and what a great hangglider tug. Bob Bailey has designed some remarkable aircraft, I'm particularly fond of his amphib float he calls Conney.

Pics of Bob, Conney and the Moyes-Bailey Dragonfly below for those who don't know them. I used to have a great pic of Bob flying the Conney in his more usual thongs and sunnies but can't find it - anyone else got it?

And - the 'Name the Cheap 2 Seater' (C2S for now) is still on then. Thanks Nieuport Pete but Cloud Dancer is already taken by two other aircraft, and thanks winsor68 too, I like the name Libelle and have flown one at Tocumwal, nice glider, but that name's taken too, so let's see if anyone has a really good original? A free flight in the C2S for whoever suggests a name that ends up being chosen.

Thanks Teckair for the lead on what to look for on the ignition, I'll start there and report back.

1055307788_moyes-baileydragonfly.jpg.f7fc6252f2fee77f73701c083d22ec15.jpg

Bob.jpg.996b9f3877a8a68d14166c2278e72e05.jpg

conney.jpg.fb0619c398062f9abe6a4b9c8b8f122e.jpg

How's about the "GAFA"? I reckon it has a nice ring to it. For the overseas market, you could always claim that it stands for the Great Australian Flying Aircraft but us Aussies will know what it truly stands for. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

I vote for Cloud Dancer as suggested by Pete. Loved the movie of the same name.

Yep would be fine if there were not other aircraft already called that, to me C2S is the best so far.

Had a request for a craft similar to the posts initial parameters, two seat, slow, STOL?, folding?, side by side (sort of).This is only an initial draft, but the thoughts are, Foxbat style wing and flaperon, ThuderGull Odyssey styled staggered seating, taildragger for simplicity (but convertible to nosewheel?) but the big difference to the original plan is VISIBILITY, hence a pusher configuration and to be powered by a second hand 80hp 912.

One day I would like to fly out west to Sticksville territory to visit family & friends so need a plane that can carry some stuff as well as the occasional passenger, one that has a good fuel range and a bit more speed than what I have now and one that doesn't require a ground crew every 1-2 hours in order to get from one place to another, etc. I also like to be able to appreciate the scenery along the way. Everyone's needs and wants are different. The floopy sort of reminds me of those jumping castles that young kids muck around on.096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif For now I'll give the floopy a miss!!!

If you want to have a cheap aircraft for fun, and also want to fly yourself out west to pester your rellies, then I suggest the practical way to achieve this is to make the fun machine for most of your flying and cross hire a plastic fantastic for the occasional long distance tour. One single design can't be all things to all people.

Scary you would want make sure your seat belt was in good nick and done up!!

Waddayamean Richard,

Only way to fly up your way, wind up your shorts, warm air and beautiful scenery. LOL

That's what Drifter flying and the 95-10 flying is all about.

• Agree 2

As you would any time you go flying.

Of course. It is not uncommon for some pilots to suffer from vertigo which is what my comment was really about. But you most likely already knew that.

Of course. It is not uncommon for some pilots to suffer from vertigo which is what my comment was really about. But you most likely already knew that.

Inside my aircraft, apart from my fuel level, it's probably the thing I check the most.

Waddayamean Richard,Only way to fly up your way, wind up your shorts, warm air and beautiful scenery. LOL

That's what Drifter flying and the 95-10 flying is all about.

The air is not so warm at the moment, that plane is fine for those it suits but it gives me vertigo just looking at the photo and I won't be the only one. Luckily some 95.10s (like my Chinook) are more accommodating for people like me. The comment was not meant to be taken seriously.