A new Oz engine on the way?

bexrbetter

well, let's have a much smaller head on the top with one valve (inlet) and one on the bottom (ex). more expensive but I do like symmetry

I am of the view Bex had as one of his musts, the head was to be from something which is mass produced, I can not think of anything which will fit this bill.

Regards

Keith Page.

• Agree 1

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote="

Hi Bex, where does the oil in rocker cover go ? Is it dry sump ? Would there be a collection point or sump lower than the head ?

I like the concept ! Hope it is a great success. As Keith said looking better by the minute.

[quote="Hi Bex, where does the oil in rocker cover go ? Is it dry sump ? .

Thanks Humpy,

Yes will be dry sumped. Having literally 2 seperate bottom end foundations also allows me the 2 oil pumps required and yes, gravity will aid in the scavenge.

As you might imagine, I chose the rocker cover carefully to suit this system again so an OEM product could be easily aquired rather than a custom unit.

• 1 month later...

Just to keep you guys informed, things are going very well but on the the company side of things - although I know you want to see engine building action, without company structure it just can't happen. These are bad times to do things in China as well for me, I have my Western Xmas slowdown and then in about 2 weeks time the Chinese start their slowdown for Spring Festival which is January 30 this year (they go by the Lunar calender and it's different each year).

I did get to some destruction testing the other week though, checking out oil gallery routes and wall thicknesses on the throwaway blocks my silly machinest put his machining fixture locating holes right in line with 2 of my stud holes as the keen eye will see here ...

boring.jpg.cc4b89d7177b560559da649a3dd40b2d.jpg

Has happened to all of us, and I may have even mentioned this sort of thing previously.# Working from two dimension drawings into three dimensions, or even from 3 D Cad, the mind doesn't seem to visualise everything in 3D, but with the benefit of hindsight the odd mistake just looks so obvious.

Its just part of the design stage.

# e.g. a major diesel engine manufacturer's oil galleries are somehow restricted, and it's necessary to use very expensive oil to solve the problem.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Bex

I am wondering how things are progressing with the new engine and we all have a lot of extra time now, "A new year has started" and I hope it brings fruit to you Bex.

How did the China new year activities effect your development?

I am just being a stick beak.

Regards

Keith Page.

G'day, I have been enthusiastically following your progress and wish you success, we certainly need an engine like yours. The only concern I have is the gear ratio, 2:1, if I read correctly. All PSRUs that have an even reduction ratio have failed (Honda CAM 100 being one example) as the same gear teeth are subjected to the maximum torque continuously. It does not change your design to change the crankshaft coupling reduction ratio to an uneven ratio so the max torque is applied to all of the gear teeth.

If I have not correctly understood your design please ignore this post.

Cheers

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

The only concern I have is the gear ratio, 2:1, if I read correctly.

This is correct, illustrations were for people for simple understanding and your reasons are why all differential ratios are non-obvious such as 4.1:1 rather than 4:1 - i.e. so the same teeth do not mesh constantly every revolution.

Final ratio can not be determined until after dyno testing to see at what RPM the best power spread is but I imagine it will be in the 2.3:1 area.

Thank you for your kind comments and Keith, things are going really well but it's on the business side of things and won't really be back into hands on stuff until next month. There will be some other interesting related news next month as well.

• Like 2

Hi Bex,

I just discovered your thread and read all 15 pages straight.

As a "not very mechanically savvy" type (airframes I can understand; motors are a mystery) I stand in awe of someone actually designing one.

Good on you mate and I hope it's a winner. As someone who will be looking for an 80 - 100hp engine in about 5 years, I'll be keeping a close eye on yours from now on! If the testing indicates reliability and the price is similar to a 2nd hand 912uls, I'll be very tempted.

All the best! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

That is just being mean - hinting of the interesting news to come and then making us wait.....

yeah you're right sorry, actually my Missus often arrives home beaming and when I ask her why she says "I have the greatest news - but I can't tell you until it's confirmed ...", maybe I'm just subconsciously getting payback on someone, bahaha!

Thanks Marty.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
anymore on the interesting news also the engine how is it coming along?

I'm in such a frustrating spot at the moment, I can't tell you publicly what's going on other than to say the future is most certainly secured for this project and more.

Maybe we can convince Jabiru Phil when he's over this way to drop in and verify this is actually happening as well as the Super X3000 Top Secret project ... hmm but if he saw that I might have to kill him.

Don't think the 777 has much in the way of piston engine parts.

But the wings can be melted down to a higher quality than the coke cans we are currently relying on ....

• Haha 2

I'm in such a frustrating spot at the moment, I can't tell you publicly what's going on other than to say the future is most certainly secured for this project and more.Maybe we can convince Jabiru Phil when he's over this way to drop in and verify this is actually happening as well as the Super X3000 Top Secret project ... hmm but if he saw that I might have to kill him.

Good afternoon Bex

Just thinking:- You are OK with insider showing/talking......... It is insider trading, the one which will get you into big trouble.

I have no doubt things will be good when us stickey beaks get a viewing.

Regards

Keith Page.

• Informative 1

I'm in such a frustrating spot at the moment, I can't tell you publicly what's going on other than to say the future is most certainly secured for this project and more.

Don't tell me that some vital parts for the new engine were sourced from the Crimea?

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hi BexRbetter: I hope the rough patch(es) has/have been worked through over the last two months since you wrote this!

Henry Ford, when developing the mass-produced Model T Ford said: "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it..."

• Like 1