A new Oz engine on the way?

bexrbetter

As for management, I have lived here for 10 years and it's MY FACTORY. It's also my design, my QA and my QC. I have complete control over the lot.

All well and good, I still have trouble calling your product an Australian engine. There are people who have lived here in Australia for less than ten years call themselves Aussie, and for mine they are more Aussie than your engine!

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 1998, 2003, 2008 and 2009 Toyota's all made in Japan, thanks very much, just the way we like them.

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif You have no idea what the Chinese content in your cars is do you.

There are people who have lived here in Australia for less than ten years call themselves Aussie, and for mine they are more Aussie than your engine!

.. and my engine is more Oz than your cars apparently, so why aren't you buying Australian?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Fair dinkum you blokes I can't believe what I am reading!

Here's a bloke whoes having a go to try and improve things for everyone by placing a new product into the market place giving everyone another and possibly better option to what's already out there, and (except for a few people) all I see is a lot of critics carrying on with much to do about nothing.

Ok there's something in it for him, but why shouldnt there be. Give him a chance if he is successful I bet you will all be lining up to buy one.

Go for it Bex!

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 3

Give him a chance if he is successful I bet you will all be lining up to buy one.

They aren't seeing the bigger picture actually, doesn't matter if they aren't interested in my product, what you all should be seeing is the flow on for the whole industry.

The very few engine manufacturers, Lyc, Rotax, etc, have the market to themselves and are strangling you guys for all you're worth, I have some hope I will make an impact on this forcing them to rethink their arrogance and of course their pricing.

Anarchy I say!! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• Winner 3

Good on You... Go for it Bexrbetter, look forward to seeing it, you are doing something positive, a lot more than others. I like anyone having a go, and that is the real Aussie way " having a go " but always the knockers doing nothing, if it has some Australian content that's a bonus. I myself like the idea of the Subaru Diesel or a copy, it would make a great aero engine if it could be direct drive to reduce weight. What do you think ?

I myself like the idea of the Subaru Diesel or a copy, it would make a great aero engine if it could be direct drive to reduce weight. What do you think ?

I think at 136kgs bare and 170kgs dressed there isn't much hope for it in a light aircraft application.

• Agree 1

I don't believe I've bagged the idea. Just pointed out a few things that have actually happened. Several largish companies have had bad experiences too. The Chinese play the game their way. They are hard working people who deserve success. Good luck to your project Bex. You have certainly made some claims and gotten out attention .

Low volume production numbers don't make for low unit prices and aero engines are expected to keep going. It's a hard market and plenty of big names haven't made it. Porsche, Bugatti, Rolls Royce don't make Continentals now, Rotax are not making most of their long running two stroke range. Nev

I'm sure that's right but as far as I understand it Bex isn't planning to buy from aftermarket retailers. I'm pretty sure he said he's buying from the company distributors themselves, in which case they're not aftermarket parts they're genuine parts and that has the advantage of using the manufacturers' own QA system.Also from what he's said Bex has a fair bit of clout over there in terms of being able to buy where most people probably couldn't due to his family connections. And that's probably far more beneficial in culture-conscious places like China than it would be here, for example.

All that aside, it's probably worth noting that even though Global's, Cheap as, Repco or whoever might be selling aftermarket parts for half the cost of Dealers' genuine pistons, rods, cranks and so on, you don't see cars lining the side of the roads with broken engines. I know they're not working as hard as an aero engine but my point is that even aftermarket parts seem to make acceptable replacements so if an engine did end up being developed and tested around them it would still be a great step toward cheaper engines I would think.

I'm not making any suggestions on where Bex is buying, just pointing out for you the complex supply lines and the traps for jumping to conclusions.

Just to illustrate the statement you made about not seeing cars lining the road with broken engines, well of course you don't; no seller would survive if he allowed that to happen.

However, within what I was saying, one manufacturer I know was selling clutches at around $1,400.00 and the dealers were not able to sell clutch replacements through the workshops because backyarders were buying grey market clutches at around $1,000.00. The life of the genuine clutches was much longer, justifying the higher price, but the customers couldn't see past the up front price, so the manufacturer and dealers combined in a package which saw the clutches, manufactured by the same supplier, packed in grey boxes, and sold installed by the dealer as a grey market clutch for around $1,200.00 with the normal parts and labour warranties offers by the dealers.

In another area, where a particular model had a best clutch life of 456,000 km (or thereabouts), other fleets were turning over clutches every 12,000 km.

So I'm repeating, it's a complex supply stream.

I don't believe I've bagged the idea. Just pointed out a few things that have actually happened. Several largish companies have had bad experiences too. The Chinese play the game their way. They are hard working people who deserve success. Good luck to your project Bex. You have certainly made some claims and gotten out attention .Low volume production numbers don't make for low unit prices and aero engines are expected to keep going. It's a hard market and plenty of big names haven't made it. Porsche, Bugatti, Rolls Royce don't make Continentals now, Rotax are not making most of their long running two stroke range. Nev

Caterpiller just got $600 million taken out of there pockets here, idiots. Bet the same mangaement and lawyers are still working there next year though ...

As you say the Chinese play it thier way and the biggest failing of Westerners here is their own arrogance, firstly thinking they are superior in business to a backwards country where you still see old woman carrying a couple of live chickens from market to just simple believing they have things in place and that's how it will happen - it's a laff a minute watching them 'control and direct' a business meeting when you know whats actually happening with the Chinese just politely nodding and agreeing ..... history shows what a savage ruthless place this is to do business, it's not just round eys, it's anyone, I have seen brothers, sons, even 60 year old mothers take family members out (my wife put her in jail btw).

No claims from me, just a process, I have stated nothing more than what is happening and what I know can be done following the process - the Chinese process.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

So will the bexmetter fit in a 912 cowling?

Very rough schematic comparison ... mine is 500mm wide, Rotax is 575mm.

That is a standard, modern, 'sold in the millions' SOHC 2 valve head sitting on top, available worldwide as are head gaskets etc. I've mentioned before that it's not just a cheap engine to buy but more importantly will be cheap to own long term. I wanted to go DOHC and 4 valve but there is certainly a resistance with flyers to move forwards too quickly.

Note that the water cooling on mine is centralised, ie; the head and immediate block under it, and eliminates the need for mutiple connecting pipes as the Rotax needs to use.

411997790_blockcompare.jpg.2ac0eb58f301f01877606520187fc439.jpg

• Like 4

.....snip..... even 60 year old mothers take family members out (my wife put her in jail btw).

That would have made for awkward conversation on Mother's Day!

• Haha 3

So, is that a three barrel 'common knocker'?Going to run on diesel?

Rootes blower or turbo?

I love the Commer Knocker for it's eccentricity and the smoothness but no, mine is a 4 stroke and no turbo, at least for the first model anyway but have the right guy for that work, my EFI guy (if all works out well), he is Canadian and in Canada so at least keeping it in the Commomwealth! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

and Ross is a Flyer too ... http://www.sdsefi.com/air9.html

Look at how smooth OP engines are (Commer Knocker)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oNvEWKThM8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2U475ab3f8

I love the Commer Knocker for it's eccentricity and the smoothness but no, mine is a 4 stroke and no turbo

The TS3 didn't have a turbo, it had a supercharger which is a gear/chain/belt driven air compressor which makes more power than a turbo.

Smooth? I don't think you've driven one; they'd shake the fillings out of your teeth - a real bird scarer which could be heard for three miles on a cold night.

Here's a link showing one in a mini - watch how it throws the mini around:

The Commer Knocker did play a part in Australia's transport history on the interstate routes, with 105 hp and a life cycle of around 250,000 km.

The Perkins 6/354 six cylinder in line replaced it by clever marketing. The Perkins engine would give trouble free life out to 160,000 and could then be replaced, more or less while the truck was still hot, with a brand new one for a few hundred dollars, and the cycle could be repeated.

Today's highway trucks pump out 550 hp and the required life cycle is around 1.2 million km.

Today, the TS3's most difficult problems would be achieving the regulatory in cab and drive by noise levels.......and tooth filling protection!

Does the fact that Rolls Royce, Boeing, Cessna to name a few aeros let alone Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Audi, Benz etc manufacturer here not suggest that you might not be quite up to speed with China? I bought my brand new Mazda 6 in 2005 made 100% in China and it hasn't had a single fault in 220,000kms on Chinese freeways at 140kmh or over bad Chinese mountain backroads and almost always 4 adults up (and a chicken 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif ).As for management, I have lived here for 10 years and it's MY FACTORY. It's also my design, my QA and my QC. I have complete control over the lot.

I'm not trying to kid anyone or hide anything, I am making them in China to be competitive on the world market but the project is employing Australians, 6 to this point, and the bulk of profits (100% from Chinese investment btw) are going to Oz and I am very proud to call the project Australian.

Hi Bex

Its a sad thing that ACL engine parts a all Australian company that supplied Ford and Holden in this country also pistons and bearings for Jabiru has closed down and disappeared with barely a ripple they could have been a good supplier for your engine and employ hundreds of people in this country.This country is losing its ability to manufacture many things giving the Chinese a monopoly that will come back to bite us in my opinion.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

Very rough schematic comparison ... mine is 500mm wide, Rotax is 575mm.That is a standard, modern, 'sold in the millions' SOHC 2 valve head sitting on top, available worldwide as are head gaskets etc. I've mentioned before that it's not just a cheap engine to buy but more importantly will be cheap to own long term. I wanted to go DOHC and 4 valve but there is certainly a resistance with flyers to move forwards too quickly.

Note that the water cooling on mine is centralised, ie; the head and immediate block under it, and eliminates the need for mutiple connecting pipes as the Rotax needs to use.

[ATTACH=full]22503[/ATTACH]

Bex depending on the rpm range there would be little advantage in double overhead camshafts and 4 valves just a weight disadvantage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1