The Easiest Aircraft to learn to fly?

This might have been done before and it may be more appropriate to have a poll but I thought i'd throw the question out there:

What are people's opinions on the easiest (powered) aircraft to learn to fly? GA or RA (or weight-shift or powered parachute etc.).

I've only flown a few but to start things off my vote would be the Skyfox Gazelle. As i've heard on occasion "If you can't fly a Gazelle then you can't fly".

What do others think?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gazelle is too easy to fly. When a lot of pilots trained in them get into another aircraft, they think they have lost the ability to fly a plane. Nothing I have ever flown is more forgiving and it even handles ridiculous crosswinds. Nev

• Agree 3

I loved learning to fly in the Gazelle, the handling charactaristics are just beautiful.

I've flown a couple of other aircraft types too, and the Gazelle is the nicest of the lot. Some are pretty horrible by comparision.

*jab bashing to commence in 3... 2... 1*

I'm learning to fly a Jab at present, and its also a nice aircraft to fly. I find, however, that the controls are out of balance with each other (amount of force + travel is all screwy), and that takes a lot of getting used to. And the ergonomics of it all just got me thinking "what drugs were the designers on?"

My flights in a couple of Piper aircraft (warrior and cheroke) makes me think they are very nice training aircraft as well. The controls are heavier, but everything is at least balanced and the entire cockpit isn't set up in a way that incrases a pilot's workload.

If somebody balanced the jab controls, sorted out some toe (or heel) brakes and a sensible flap actuator it would be an absolute joy to fly and a truely world class aircraft.

I loved learning to fly in the Gazelle, the handling charactaristics are just beautiful.I've flown a couple of other aircraft types too, and the Gazelle is the nicest of the lot. Some are pretty horrible by comparision.

*jab bashing to commence in 3... 2... 1*

I'm learning to fly a Jab at present, and its also a nice aircraft to fly. I find, however, that the controls are out of balance with each other (amount of force + travel is all screwy), and that takes a lot of getting used to. And the ergonomics of it all just got me thinking "what drugs were the designers on?"

My flights in a couple of Piper aircraft (warrior and cheroke) makes me think they are very nice training aircraft as well. The controls are heavier, but everything is at least balanced and the entire cockpit isn't set up in a way that incrases a pilot's workload.

If somebody balanced the jab controls, sorted out some toe (or heel) brakes and a sensible flap actuator it would be an absolute joy to fly and a truely world class aircraft.

I have similar experience, I first trained and went solo in a Drifter up to the 14 hour stage. Then about 2 years later I finished my certificate in a Jabiru LSA55 in 1998. From memory the LSA55 did not have balanced flight controls. It was elevator was sensitive while ailerons and rudder were not. Well the rudder wasn't very effective at all. But of course , that has changed with the later models apparently. (I haven't flown the other models) . My have flown a Tomahawk and also owned a Piper Archer for a while of which I did my GFPT in. I found the Cherokee another nice and forgiving aircraft although obviously a lot heavier that a gazelle. I have stick time in a C172 but never flown one solo. The C712 is forgiving and does make a great trainer, but boring to fly (install flack jacket). I did really enjoy the Gazelle but IMO pilots do have to step up a bit when they go onto something else.

I have similar experience, I first trained and went solo in a Drifter up to the 14 hour stage. Then about 2 years later I finished my certificate in a Jabiru LSA55 in 1998. From memory the LSA55 did not have balanced flight controls. It was elevator was sensitive while ailerons and rudder were not. Well the rudder wasn't very effective at all. But of course , that has changed with the later models apparently. (I haven't flown the other models) . My have flown a Tomahawk and also owned a Piper Archer for a while of which I did my GFPT in. I found the Cherokee another nice and forgiving aircraft although obviously a lot heavier that a gazelle. I have stick time in a C172 but never flown one solo. The C712 is forgiving and does make a great trainer, but boring to fly (install flack jacket). I did really enjoy the Gazelle but IMO pilots do have to step up a bit when they go onto something else.

Actually it was 8 years later from when I finished my Pilot Cert in a LSA55, to when I previously flew a drifter. (RAAF career got in the way).

Have to be the Gazelle. I did a GA flight review, couldn't do it in the Corby so picked a Gazelle. Forced landing test resulted in a near perfect landing and I had never flown one before. After that the C150 would be hard to beat.

It's amazing that having a tailwheel on a "Gazelle " has an entirely different reputation. I've never flown a gazelle, but I'd have to say the C172 is pretty forgiving , and it can be thrown at the runway from a remarkable height without breaking anything ;-)

Apart from a tailwheel I would say the citabria 7GCBC and its hairy stablemate the 8KCAB would be the nicest all rounders I've flown

It's amazing that having a tailwheel on a "Gazelle " has an entirely different reputation. I've never flown a gazelle, but I'd have to say the C172 is pretty forgiving , and it can be thrown at the runway from a remarkable height without breaking anything ;-)Apart from a tailwheel I would say the citabria 7GCBC and its hairy stablemate the 8KCAB would be the nicest all rounders I've flown

Skyfox knew that to sell more aeroplanes, they had to make a tri gear version of their version of the TW fox. They did a excellent job of it. They went from making a difficult aircraft to land (TW version) to making a aircraft that was very forgiving for students to learn to fly in. Unfortunately it wasn't enough to save manufacturing it here in Australia.

Skyfox knew that to sell more aeroplanes, they had to make a tri gear version of their version of the TW fox. They did a excellent job of it. They went from making a difficult aircraft to land (TW version) to making a aircraft that was very forgiving for students to learn to fly in. Unfortunately it wasn't enough to save manufacturing it here in Australia.

And after spending a couple of months getting to know mine I believe it's a damn shame they went bust, they're a really great plane!

We all seem to agree the Gazelle is the easiest to fly. Nev

Not so Fast!

Having instructed students on a number of aircraft and having flown the Gazelle, my own opinion is that the Foxbat A22 should be awarded the honour. A very subjective assessment of course!

I have instructed ab-initio in Drifters for a couple of thosand hours and Foxbats for some 1600 hours. IMHO I believe that the Foxbat, if anything is "too easy" to fly and that pilots trained on the Foxbat have had an easy run compared to other marques.

So why do I use the Foxbat? An extremely safe aeroplane, particularly with a BRS fitted...and I got sick and tired of being windblown in the back seat of the Drifter. I still love to fly the Drifter from the front seat!

• Agree 1

That could well be I haven't flown one. Does it handle the crosswinds as well?. I thought the gazelle might have a bit higher wing loading which helps. You don't learn the limits of a plane really till you instruct on it.. Nev

All wrong ,powered parachutes are easiest ,don't even need to watch airspeed ,ready in 5 min to fly,and fits on a trailer to take anywhere ,true low and slow ,no fatalities with aerochute ever,hard to beat unless you really want to fly somewhere

All wrong ,powered parachutes are easiest ,don't even need to watch airspeed ,ready in 5 min to fly,and fits on a trailer to take anywhere ,true low and slow ,no fatalities with aerochute ever,hard to beat unless you really want to fly somewhere

No fatalies ever, that's amazing. I believe there was a saying about the Pipe Cub, that it was so safe it was only barely capable of killing you or words to that effect.020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

That could well be I haven't flown one. Does it handle the crosswinds as well?. I thought the gazelle might have a bit higher wing loading which helps. You don't learn the limits of a plane really till you instruct on it.. Nev

Actually x-wind capabilities of the Foxbat are one of the best I have seen. The earlier models had a 17 knot demonstrated capability. Personally, I tested 27 knots and bent the nose leg trying to land beating an unexpected hailstorm. Paid for the nose leg out of my own pocket as the insurance will not cover damage caused by exceeding the published aircraft limitations.

The newer models have reduced their rudder area and I suspect won't have the absolute limits I have seen achieved. However I think 12-15 Kts capability is mor than adequate for most folks.

Wasn't there a couple of guys killed in an aero chute crash in NSW recently, can't remember what it was exactly, an instructor perhaps?

Skyfox Gazelle. A blind 5 year old could fly one....... They are also very boring to fly.

Having said that, when I was a hangar rat I watched a first solo pilot wheel barrow one into the ground and keep pushing forward again and again until the (very strong, Bill Whitney designed) nose wheel folded and down she went...........................the mind boggles.......

Speaking to a VERY experienced/renowned instructor a few years later I was rambling about how easy the Gazelle was to fly and he said something that I will never forget "that may be so but it will still kill you''

Some may think that's a bit morbid but he is right, the minute we start thinking we can just fluff along because the plane is so easy to fly and we've done it a million times and we know this and we know that, just tell yourself.........this plane could kill me in an instant if I don't respect it.

My 2 cents.....

• Agree 3

Wasn't there a couple of guys killed in an aero chute crash in NSW recently, can't remember what it was exactly, an instructor perhaps?

Don't think so ,many powered ppg (para gliders )seem to go down ,never heard of a aerochute (powered parachute)pilot death in 21 years.id love to be flying fix wing again but can't afford it for a few more years,it's a cheep safe flying fix for now

It's amazing that having a tailwheel on a "Gazelle " has an entirely different reputation. I've never flown a gazelle, but I'd have to say the C172 is pretty forgiving , and it can be thrown at the runway from a remarkable height without breaking anything ;-)Apart from a tailwheel I would say the citabria 7GCBC and its hairy stablemate the 8KCAB would be the nicest all rounders I've flown

Errr... from experience, with two largish passengers in the back seat, you can break off the rear tie-down ring on the C172 in an otherwise very nice (if a little nose-high) landing.

Didn't even realise until the CFI rang me up the next day! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• Like 1