Ozrunway on mini ipad

Russ

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russ, You keep pressing the small 'target' looking symbol below the map (the one that centers on your location)... it switches through different options > track up > north up etc

• 3 months later...

For those that want more power use of their ipads, here are some very useful tips - worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOqHpatTyj8

Updates for me: I just bought a ipad mini yesterday. Will be here to play with this week and over Christmas. Still looking to do my Navs endorsement hopefully early 2014 (which I can not use an ipad for of course).

iPad Battery life from http://www.apple.com/au/batteries/ipad.html

• Adjust brightness: Managing the screen brightness is the best way to extend iPad battery life. By default, your iPad has Auto-Brightness turned on. Auto-Brightness adjusts iPad screen brightness based on ambient lighting conditions; lowering brightness in low light conditions helps to extend battery life. You can adjust brightness yourself: go to Settings > Brightness & Wallpaper and drag the slider to the left to lower the default screen brightness.

• Lock your iPad: It may seem obvious, but you should lock your iPad when you aren’t using it. To lock iPad, press the Sleep/Wake button. You can also set the Auto-Lock interval so your iPad will turn off more quickly after a period of inactivity. To set Auto-Lock, go to Settings > General > Auto-Lock and set the interval to a short time, such as one minute.

• Turn off Wi-Fi: If you know you’re not going to be using Wi-Fi, you can turn it off to save power. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and set Wi-Fi to off. Note that if you have an iPad with cellular capability and use it to browse the web, battery life may be improved by using Wi-Fi instead of cellular data networks.

• Turn off cellular data: Using cellular networks when you’re out of range of Wi-Fi connectivity allows you to stay in touch but may also decrease battery life, especially in areas with limited coverage. To disable cellular data networks, from the Home screen choose Settings > Cellular, and set Cellular Data to off. Note: You will no longer be able to send or receive data via a cellular data network.

• Use Airplane Mode (Cellular models) in low- or no-coverage areas: Because your iPad always tries to maintain a connection with a Wi-Fi network or cellular data network (Cellular models), it may use more power in low- or no-coverage areas. Turning on Airplane Mode can increase battery life in these situations. To turn on Airplane Mode, go to Settings and set Airplane Mode to On.

• Minimise use of location services: Applications that actively use location services, such as Maps, may reduce battery life. To disable location services, go to Settings > General > Location Services, or use location services only when needed.

• Turn off push notifications: Some applications from the App Store use the Apple Push Notification service to alert you to new data. Applications that rely extensively on push notifications (such as instant messaging applications) may decrease battery life. To disable push notifications, go to Settings > Notifications, and set Notifications to off. Note that this does not prevent new data from being received when the application is opened. Also, the Notifications setting will not be visible if you do not have any applications installed that support push notifications.

• Fetch new data less frequently: Applications such as Mail can be set to fetch data wirelessly at specific intervals. The more frequently email or other data is fetched, the quicker your battery may drain. To fetch new data manually, from the Home screen choose Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data, and tap Manually. To increase the fetch interval, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and tap Hourly. Note that this is a global setting and applies to all applications that do not support push services.

• Turn off push mail: If you have a push mail account such as Yahoo! or Microsoft Exchange, turn off push when you don’t need it. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and set Push to Off. Messages sent to your push email accounts will now be received on your phone based on the global Fetch setting rather than as they arrive. If the global Fetch setting is set to Manually, you will not be able to locate your iPad using the Find My iPad feature.

• Auto-check fewer email accounts: You can save power by checking fewer email accounts. This can be accomplished by turning off an email account or by deleting it. To turn off an account, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, choose an email account, and set Account to Off. To remove an account, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, choose an email account, and tap Delete Account.

• Manage the use of downloaded applications: Use of certain applications — such as games that prevent the screen from dimming or shutting off, or applications that use location services — can reduce battery life.

Use Your iPad Regularly

For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100 per cent and then completely running it down).

This is all very interesting as I have been considering getting Ozrunways or Avplan. I have to get an Ipad or whatever before I can do that and have no idea what all the jargon means, nor wether an IPad is the only tablet usable or if there is some other type such as Nexus 7 or Android.

Maybe someone who is knowledgable could explore the options and write an article for the RAAus magazine, or even post some info here.

Guest Maj Millard
well Ross….where is the picture ?????????? :)

Already posted several months ago.........will post again later today when I land.......014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Guest Maj Millard
I use a kneepad. Seems to me that a panel mount like that requires airworthiness approval.

They haven't got around to telling us what our dash should look like yet...........other then the min required instruments........Maj.....

Guest Andys@coffs

A bloke I know was telling me that he has a fix for the usual vacuum attached mounts that in general are good for about 5 minutes and then fall off......He uses a bit of KY jelly around the outside rim of the clear vinyl sucker and it then don't fall off......

My initial fear would be what is in the KY jelly that can do a job on the lexan....but then again KY's intended for very fragile environments so cant be too harsh.......Of course every ego inflated pilot would have a tube of KY in the cockpit wouldn't they ?

Second fear is coming up with an excuse that will satisfy the wife as to why I needed to buy a tube on the way to the airport....

Andy

P.S I haven't tried it so don't know if it works, or how much/little is needed....I suspect the amount needed is likely pretty small......just like the original purpose!

P.S I haven't tried it so don't know if it works, or how much/little is needed....I suspect the amount needed is likely pretty small......just like the original purpose!

She will be even more concerned if you tell her you are going down to the hangar to experiment to see how much KY you need and how well it works!

He uses a bit of KY jelly around the outside rim

She will be even more concerned if you tell her you are going down to the hangar to experiment to see how much KY you need and how well it works!

Especially when he says he's smearing it around his rim 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

jason

Guest Maj Millard
Pic please?

Ok.....you go and buy a leather Belkin case for your mini Ipad, when you fold it over it has a pocket along the top side. I fabricated the simple mount from lexan and a couple of clamps, which attaches to the convenient bar in front of the Lightwing panel ( could also be attached to a flush panel with some additional work ). The Belkin cover sits right on this, and is secured with a simple aluminium clip that slides down on the cover to secure it.

Quick and simple to fit, and simple to remove so you can take it with you. Ipad never needs to be removed from the cover. Sometimes simplicity just wins the day !.................Maj....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

image.jpg.835722d406d5b39eac334887f46c4d40.jpg

image.jpg.016eced24d61e21f5406892f0aa41277.jpg

image.jpg.3a491723994285234da6321da1fe7d28.jpg

image.jpg.db6084cfca39e7e56b836f90fce3f894.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For the iPad mini I've been looking into the Ram X-grip mount. Anyone tried these yet?

I wouldn't go for the suction cup mounts but rather a 1" ball (rubber) bolted somehow to the panel. (see links below)

I'm guessing you could set the angle of the double socket-arm such that the iPad - whilst not flush, which'd be neater - would only stand out a few centimetres from the dash.

The advantages I see for this set up is (a): you can adjust for optimal viewing angle and to avoid reflections and (b): there's no need to cover the iPad which should minimise overheating shutdowns. I suppose it'd hold firmly enough in turbulence but anyway it looks easy to remove and stow as needed.

http://www.rammount.com/Products/XGriptradeMounts/XGriptrade7TabletMounts/tabid/4690/Default.aspx

This ram mount setup is very good, they have another type called "roller" which holds ipad tight. Most of the back is open

I have a spare bracket to suit large ipad 2,3,4 if anyones interested. Have gone mini.

And a kneemount