Well done Doug

Tomo

Does anyone remember an old movie called "Miracles"?

Funny as. A couple of crooks kidnap a couple. After being drugged they wake up in a old DC3. The crooks had bailed out and left a ten step instructions list on how to fly it. They run out of fuel and put it down in the desert.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you will find that IF the prop is turning, do not restart with the starter. If the prop is windmilling ,you would just make sure fuel pumps, ign.switches, fuel tank selection, mixture rich and slowly open throttle etc Many U/L motors that run out of fuel or are switched off don't windmill. Geared motors are unlikely to (Rotax)

Safety your plane before landing.

Seat harness tight (very) cushion used there too, doors windows, unlatch sometimes, fuel and electrics off, brief passenger on escape routes,. Brace and keep away from controls. You may add more but these are the ones that come to me. Nev

N

gandalph, losing your confidence in your plane's engine?

Not at all FT. I have every confidence in both the engine and the airframe. I did my due diligence research before I spent the kids inheritance. I've flown GA & ultralight powered by Lyc. Conti. Rotax & Jab and the only aircraft I flew that I didn't expect the engine to fail in were sailplanes.

By all means push your barrow, but can you do in a thread called FT's rants so the rest of us don't have to endure your unbalanced stirring unless we want a giggle

• Agree 4

....can you do in a thread called FT's rants so the rest of us don't have to endure your unbalanced stirring unless we want a giggle

Now there's a plan! :clap:Might even see if we can get a 'wotad1k' button installed to amuse Metal Matty too! 066_naughty.gif.fdb194956812c007d0f5d54e3c692757.gif

• Like 4

But this is not an appropriate place for me to snipe at FT's rants because it takes away from the topic whic is and should be acknowledging brilliant professionalism and skill of a young pilot instructor. I apologise to the group for rising so quickly to the bait but I particularly apologise to Doug ( I don't know your full name Sir, but I would be honored to shake your hand) for participating in a pointless and off topic argument with FT that has nothing to do with acknowledging your excellent flying skill. Bravo!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

But this is not an appropriate place for me to snipe at FT's rants because it takes away from the topic whic is and should be acknowledging brilliant professionalism and skill of a young pilot instructor. I apologise to the group for rising so quickly to the bait but I particularly apologise to Doug ( I don't know your full name Sir, but I would be honored to shake your hand) for participating in a pointless and off topic argument with FT that has nothing to do with acknowledging your excellent flying skill. Bravo!

Hi Gandalph, he - Doug Field - will be at the Archer Falls Airfield Fly In Drive In October 5/6 - he founded the event with his father, Ron, back when he founded Wings of Life - now a registered aviation club of Griffith University (2010) to raise awareness and funds for RFDS, while providing inspiration to youth in aviation. Now with 70 members $30,000 has been raised for RFDS, with hopes to add significantly to that amount from this year's event. BTW, many thanks to all those who have written nice comments regards Doug's recent landing...

• Like 1

The jabistassi are funny, nothing you have told me has convinced me that the engines aren't dodgy. Comparing them to continental and lycoming just makes you lot sound so what unhinged, we all know that if most of the Jabs where flying IFR or at night the fatality rate would skyrocket from the engine failures.

Ok so there Jab engines havn't had a good track record, I wont pretend to be a fan of them myself, but Im also not going to go into that debate for one reason.....the engine of the aircraft has nothing to do with a pilots ability! doesn't matter what the engine is, that video shows a very young flying instructor doing an exceptional job as a pilot to bring an aircraft in safetly, and an exceptional person putting the welfare of his passenger before anything. And if you do want to play pick on the plane engine, the you will equally have to give credit to the glide ratio and unpowerd flight abilities of the aircraft they where sitting to.

I have never met you Doug but a bloody good job! a great example to other young pilots like myself!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Ok so there Jab engines havn't had a good track record, I wont pretend to be a fan of them myself, but Im also not going to go into that debate for one reason.....the engine of the aircraft has nothing to do with a pilots ability! doesn't matter what the engine is, that video shows a very young flying instructor doing an exceptional job as a pilot to bring an aircraft in safetly, and an exceptional person putting the welfare of his passenger before anything. And if you do want to play pick on the plane engine, the you will equally have to give credit to the glide ratio and unpowerd flight abilities of the aircraft they where sitting to.I have never met you Doug but a bloody good job! a great example to other young pilots like myself!

Good on you mate for summing up the purpose of this thread before it became derailed by the un-Australian "kick-a-Jabiru-when-it-is-down" brigade.

WELL DONE DOUG!

• Agree 4

...give credit to the glide ratio and unpowerd flight abilities of the aircraft ...

Good point, AA. Being able to get the best out of our aircraft in all situations is what it's about. Mine has a best glide of about 7.5:1, not nearly as good as a Jab, which I believe to be nearer 12:1. Can anyone confirm this?

I found a good idea in

http://www.flybetter.com.au/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/Flybetterbooktwo2ndedition.pdf

- have a reference line on your wing or strut; below it is a cone of places you can glide to. Above it is territory you can't make it to.

..... - have a reference line on your wing or strut; below it is a cone of places you can glide to. Above it is territory you can't make it to.

It is usually about half way up the strut on a high wing - it depends on the type, as they have different glide ratios (as has been said).

Work out what it is for your aircraft.

It is also a good idea to keep the runway below this 'line', as far as is practical, when operating in the circuit.

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif