Possible "scam"

Russ

I advertized my unwanted prop ( ivo inflite adj ) in the RAA web site. Week or 2 later i get a texted message from chap wanting to buy it........great, he then wants to prepay me via EFT, and get his "agent" to pick it up. He therefore wants my "bank details" to do this EFT to me.........something just felt suss, it just did, his grammar was ???........so at the risk of losing the sale, i texted him back, inpart saying .....call me, and i will set up another way of him paying me................heard nothing since.

Just letting folks know here, that just maybe we have a scammer trolling about our sport, seeking victims.

Then again........i could have got this all wrong.....let's see

• Informative 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andys@coffs

the way the scam works is that he pays more than you ask, sending you screen capturers and all sorts of stuff to try and get you to believe he actually has done the EFT........and then a bunch of separate "OMG what have I done I so need that overpaid money in 3 microseconds today because my wif is dieing of cancer...or some other heart string puller....so please Western Union the overpaid amount to me today!!!"

Of course they haven't paid you but if your naïve you will believe that they have but the banking system just hasn't got around to actually depositing the payment just yet....., and they will suggest that you may as well send the gear to them seeing as your going to town anyway to sort out he western union money transfer......

If someone says they have EFT paid you believe it when the balance in your account shows that to be the case and not before...ever....no matter how many pretty emails are sent to you!! Even then your at risk if the payment was a cheque wait until the funds are unconditionally cleared.

Numerous times over the yrs, i have given my bank details to a "total stranger" to enable this EFT payment system to me.........and have also payed many other folks doing the exact same thing ( they've given their bank details to me )...........just last week i deposited several thousand $$ to a stranger to purchase this J160, he and previous "strangers" all felt Ok, but this time........it just felt suss.

Begs the question...........what is a better way of transferring funds to me..........or to them, without opening up your private details. ( bank )........this EFT method is flawed.

I advertized my unwanted prop ( ivo inflite adj ) in the RAA web site. Week or 2 later i get a texted message from chap wanting to buy it........great, he then wants to prepay me via EFT, and get his "agent" to pick it up. He therefore wants my "bank details" to do this EFT to me.........something just felt suss, it just did, his grammar was ???........so at the risk of losing the sale, i texted him back, inpart saying .....call me, and i will set up another way of him paying me................heard nothing since.Just letting folks know here, that just maybe we have a scammer trolling about our sport, seeking victims.

I've had some experience with people like this re a car I advertised and some online car ads I answered. They have some elaborate story why they can't do the deal in person: "serving in the SAS in Afghanistan" "working on oil rig at sea, need car for daughter". Common features are: (i) desire to transfer cash via you giving them your bank details (ii) can't call and talk on phone: "I'm in an army base and we're not allowed phones"; (iii) very anglo-saxon name eg "Robert McCain" yet v odd sentence construction suggesting foreigner; (iv) great story for why they can't front up in person. Feel free to entertain yourself by stringing them but ultimately make sure you're not sucked in.

Guest Andys@coffs

Actually Russ I don't think the EFT system is flawed.......the way it is is really simple....No credentials needed to deposit.....all the credentials needed to make a withdrawal.......People seem worried about someone else having your numbers........there not your numbers there the banks numbers.......and of themselves mean absolutely nothing....so personally I wouldn't be too concerned about someone else having the banks numbers any more than I'd be concerned that someone has my tax file number All those numbers were designed for public disclosure and of themselves get somebody nothing......

That isn't to say that we should be totally blasé, a bunch of meaningless numbers when presented as a package to someone can contribute towards them thinking that the possessor of those facts just might be you......but if they make that mistake without doing their proper due diligence that's not your issue it's their issue.

Andy

Just got this regarding the sale of my Skyranger (price was $38,000). Needless to say I will ignore it...

Thanks for getting back, am ok with the condition and will be offering you $38,500 for it. Am buying it for my holiday because i'll be coming home soon from our rig as am a petroleum project engineer and presently on the rig offshore. I won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my job, i would have love to call in person but we have call restriction here due to bad weather condition and our satellite server has been down and that's why i contacted you with internet messaging facility. I will be paying you through PayPal to your bank account as i do not have access to my bank online but i have it linked with my PayPal account to make payment. do get back to me with your details such as" bank name, account number, account name, bsb code, so i can proceed with the payment and once payment has been made, i have a pick up agent that will come to pick up the of the aircraft from your address. Hope to read from you soonest and kindly end advert on site.

Pls send more pictures if available

M. Leitch

Cheers................Doug

Just got this regarding the sale of my Skyranger (price was $38,000). Needless to say I will ignore it...Thanks for getting back, [blah, blah, blah]

M. Leitch

Is this guys surname pronounced "Leech"?

Telling, I would say.......

What you should do is try to set him up with another scammer and stand back and watch the fun....... "419" scam him

Just got this regarding the sale of my Skyranger (price was $38,000). Needless to say I will ignore it...Thanks for getting back, am ok with the condition and will be offering you $38,500 for it. Am buying it for my holiday because i'll be coming home soon from our rig as am a petroleum project engineer and presently on the rig offshore. I won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my job, i would have love to call in person but we have call restriction here due to bad weather condition and our satellite server has been down and that's why i contacted you with internet messaging facility. I will be paying you through PayPal to your bank account as i do not have access to my bank online but i have it linked with my PayPal account to make payment. do get back to me with your details such as" bank name, account number, account name, bsb code, so i can proceed with the payment and once payment has been made, i have a pick up agent that will come to pick up the of the aircraft from your address. Hope to read from you soonest and kindly end advert on site.

M. Leitch

he sounds just like the guy who wanted to buy my car.

Just got this regarding the sale of my Skyranger (price was $38,000). Needless to say I will ignore it...Thanks for getting back, am ok with the condition and will be offering you $38,500 for it. Am buying it for my holiday because i'll be coming home soon from our rig as am a petroleum project engineer and presently on the rig offshore. I won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my job, i would have love to call in person but we have call restriction here due to bad weather condition and our satellite server has been down and that's why i contacted you with internet messaging facility. I will be paying you through PayPal to your bank account as i do not have access to my bank online but i have it linked with my PayPal account to make payment. do get back to me with your details such as" bank name, account number, account name, bsb code, so i can proceed with the payment and once payment has been made, i have a pick up agent that will come to pick up the of the aircraft from your address. Hope to read from you soonest and kindly end advert on site.

M. Leitch

Cheers................Doug[/quote

This is exactly the same as the email I got, I was suspect and googled his name and he is famous for this scame,

Google his name and see for yourself.

M. Leitch

Look his name up in google, its a scam. I got the same sort of offer. Always be careful.

Regards

Mike

I advertized my unwanted prop ( ivo inflite adj ) in the RAA web site. Week or 2 later i get a texted message from chap wanting to buy it........great, he then wants to prepay me via EFT, and get his "agent" to pick it up. He therefore wants my "bank details" to do this EFT to me.........something just felt suss, it just did, his grammar was ???........so at the risk of losing the sale, i texted him back, inpart saying .....call me, and i will set up another way of him paying me................heard nothing since.Just letting folks know here, that just maybe we have a scammer trolling about our sport, seeking victims.

When I bought my Jabiru I got emails saying my plane was ready for delivery but I needed to deposit money in a bank account so the plane could be processed by customs! I never could work out where the emails were coming from, certainly not Jabiru! I still get crazy emails about lost packages waiting for me etc.

When I bought my Jabiru I got emails saying my plane was ready for delivery but I needed to deposit money in a bank account so the plane could be processed by customs! I never could work out where the emails were coming from, certainly not Jabiru! I still get crazy emails about lost packages waiting for me etc.

Gmail has an excellent spam filter. In the last few years that I've had a gmail account there's been no dodgy emails at all in my inbox. (It puts them in a separate folder so if you really have a hankering to see how your penis could be extended you can look at them). Handy being able to ignore them all though. And no, I'm not employed by Google.

• Agree 2

Gmail has an excellent spam filter. ... Handy being able to ignore them all though. And no, I'm not employed by Google.

I heard a good line that applies to both Google and News Corp:

"All the latest news, straight from your phone......"

Google are using readers (algorithms) to harvest information from your emails.

News Corp of course had their little hiccup with hacking phone accounts in the UK.

Begs the question...........what is a better way of transferring funds to me..........or to them, without opening up your private details. ( bank )........this EFT method is flawed.

It is safe to give out your Bank Account No and BSB so people can deposit money in your account but do not give out your Password or Card No.

• Winner 1

I got one of these also when I was selling my trike. Living on an off shore oil rig etc etc. I also got an email from a person living in England who was buying it for his mate in NZ. I ignored it as well assuming it was another scam. Two months later I got a phone call from England. It was the same bloke still looking to buy it on behalf of his mate in NZ. I nearly missed out on the sale because I assumed it was a scam. Lucky he called.

I nearly missed out on the sale because I assumed it was a scam. Lucky he called.

Had something similar at work; guy from Foxtel phoned one day & I was about to hang up thinking it was a telemarketer trying to sign up TV subscriptions. Listened for a few more seconds and it turned out to be a guy from Foxtel's engineering department, ordered over $100k off me plus a bunch more work since then.

M. Leitch

Same Mr Leitch who offerred me $500 more for my X-air....Politely told him to Foxtrot Oscar

• Haha 1