Brumby owner the new MHR for Mallee?

poteroo

With 81% of votes counted, Andrew Broad, a farmer from Mildura, a member of this site, and a proud Brumby owner - holds a massive lead with 74% of the votes on a 2-party preferred basis.

I think it's safe now to congratulate Andrew, and hope he's able to negotiate the Canberra airspace safely on his way to work!

happy days,

• Like 3

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With 81% of votes counted, Andrew Broad, a farmer from Mildura, a member of this site, and a proud Brumby owner - holds a massive lead with 74% of the votes on a 2-party preferred basis.I think it's safe now to congratulate Andrew, and hope he's able to negotiate the Canberra airspace safely on his way to work!

happy days,

maybe he has some views on the ASIC petition??

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Caution 2

maybe he has some views on the ASIC petition??

His party leader, Warren Truss, will likely be the next Minister for Transport. We'd expect the Nats to have a more enlightened approach to aviation, particularly GA, than the outgoing mob. It's not what you know ......... but who.

happy days,

His party leader, Warren Truss, will likely be the next Minister for Transport. We'd expect the Nats to have a more enlightened approach to aviation, particularly GA, than the outgoing mob. It's not what you know ......... but who.

happy days,

You forget the selloff and transfer of airstrips to local government all around Australia was a program kicked off by the Country Party under John Sharp.

ASICs were a gift from J W Howard.

Hopefully Andrew might do something about airstrips and ASICs but I suspect that RAA and GA are way down the list for the new government. The policy document was a bit blah, blah, blah.

Maybe we should create a list of airstrips under threat and pass it to Andrew so he can wave the flag for us.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

You forget the selloff and transfer of airstrips to local government all around Australia was a program kicked off by the Country Party under John Sharp.ASICs were a gift from J W Howard.

Hopefully Andrew might do something about airstrips and ASICs but I suspect that RAA and GA are way down the list for the new government. The policy document was a bit blah, blah, blah.

Maybe we should create a list of airstrips under threat and pass it to Andrew so he can wave the flag for us.

Col, I don't disagree with most of your comments. Sharp was himself a PPL, who, but for his indiscretion over expense accounts, may have been very helpful to us. The person who did the most damage was John Anderson, who should have done a lot more for aviation but clearly it wasn't any priority for him as he wasn't a pilot. I'm unaware of Warren Truss's interests in aviation, but he now has at least 2 MHR's who are current pilots.

A quite influential MHR in this next government will be Ms Susan Ley, the member for Parkes in western NSW. She is not only a CPL and flys her own C172, but a former ATC controller. My guess is that she's due for promotion in this new government, and should prove an ally to aviation interests. She's also a very personable lady.

We also have, last - but certainly not least, Senator Nick Xenophon who is a very strong critic of both CASA and ATSB antics and machinations. He lead the recent Senate Review of safety matters with particular reference to the Norfolk Is Westwind jet ditching. He is far and away the man with the most clout in Canberra, and if he is able to talk sense to some of the recently elected rabble, who will sit on the cross-benches after next July - then we may see a much better future for all of GA.

Whilst we may recoil at the word 'lobbying' it's become the smartest way to further ones' cause with government. It's not illegal, it's not unethical, and in my view, it's not immoral either.

happy days,

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2

Col, I don't disagree with most of your comments. Sharp was himself a PPL, who, but for his indiscretion over expense accounts, may have been very helpful to us. The person who did the most damage was John Anderson, who should have done a lot more for aviation but clearly it wasn't any priority for him as he wasn't a pilot. I'm unaware of Warren Truss's interests in aviation, but he now has at least 2 MHR's who are current pilots.A quite influential MHR in this next government will be Ms Susan Ley, the member for Parkes in western NSW. She is not only a CPL and flys her own C172, but a former ATC controller. My guess is that she's due for promotion in this new government, and should prove an ally to aviation interests. She's also a very personable lady.

We also have, last - but certainly not least, Senator Nick Xenophon who is a very strong critic of both CASA and ATSB antics and machinations. He lead the recent Senate Review of safety matters with particular reference to the Norfolk Is Westwind jet ditching. He is far and away the man with the most clout in Canberra, and if he is able to talk sense to some of the recently elected rabble, who will sit on the cross-benches after next July - then we may see a much better future for all of GA.

Whilst we may recoil at the word 'lobbying' it's become the smartest way to further ones' cause with government. It's not illegal, it's not unethical, and in my view, it's not immoral either.

happy days,

the 2 new senators (sport party, WA) and motoring party, VIC, will be excellent targets for lobbying against the ASIC by people in their respective states.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

well Andrew Broad's political career has taken a twist, who thought that New Idea would depose an PM eh?

untitled-design.png

apple-touch-icon-144x144.png Nationals MP Andrew Broad shock 'sugar baby' secret

WWW.NEWIDEA.COM.AU

Married politician Andrew Broad has been caught out with a sugar baby from a “seeking arrangements” website he used to meet younger girls while he was away on work trips.

Never heard of a sugar baby. It's usually a sugar daddy, as they say later in the article.. There must be something in the water in Canberra. "Things" happen there. Now the AFP will look at her and who knows what will happen. I bet you won't hear about it. "Important " men know how to handle this sort of thing.  I usually don't read this sort of stuff, but I have this time...Nev

I have no interest in his personal life provided what is said in public around others personal lives is consistent with his own.  

He called for Barnaby to resign based on his personal behaviour and I now see that mr Broad has resigned so at least the behaviour once made public has a consistent outcome. 

And as Barnaby is my local member maybe he could reflect on both his behaviour and failings AS a local member and do the decent thing and retire from the field.  But I’m a realist 

• Like 1

He's fallen into the classic 'honey trap' so commonly used to entrap pollies.  Shades of many scandals dating back through the ages.

We can't label Andrew as a Brumby owner any more - he's owned a Cessna for the last 2 years. Muy bad exposure for Brumbys though!  Reckon the current owner will be thinking of a repaint!!

Seems like the high altitude of Canberra, the rareified air, and lack of real work, affects Hon Members from all sides of the House. Don't think it's the water because that isn't the drinking fluid of choice. 

He'll survive if he fesses up and amends his ways. Denial isn't an option tho.

• Agree 1

The coverup is always what brings these blokes undone.

1649.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&overlay-align=bottom%2Cleft&overlay-width=100p&overlay-base64=L2ltZy9zdGF0aWMvb3ZlcmxheXMvdGctZGVmYXVsdC5wbmc&s=56933bfb5d714f9b0ba963ca6648b0e6

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.png Nationals MP Andrew Broad resigns after allegations of inappropriate conduct | Australia news | The Guardian

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

National party MP quits after New Idea reports allegations he contacted a woman through a dating website while overseas