Fire while refueling

So, Bluey, was the flash at the instant of putting the nozzle into the fuel tank opening? Or was it after the fuel started flowing?.

It occurred after about 5 litres of fuel was pumped into the tank via a mr funnel. It could have been the result of a spark occurring when the nozzle got close enough to the funnel for a spark to occur. I can't recall if the nozzle touched the funnel before the spark. During fuelling the nozzle never rests on the funnel as this would cause my funnel to tip and spill fuel

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do recall the drum brushing up against my leg as I walked it the five metres or so to the trike.

Probrably wouldn't have happened if you shave your legs then! Not sure my wife would understand me shaving my legs to prevent fire risk, but some might.

I recall one plane I flew that gave me a great belt as my foot contacted the ground when exiting. I've had it with cars too.

Happens if you wear rubber soled shoes or joggers but never if you are wearing RM boots with the nailed on soles, must earth out through the nails.

I fly bad enough without wearing dirty great clodhoppers, even fashionable RM's. Wear dancing shoes when flying (especially on smaller stuff). Nev

Elastic sides are a really bad idea on long cross-country trips. Impossible to keep the circulation to your toes. I wear them to town is summertime or I get shocked everytime I get out of the car.

Re

Elastic sides are a really bad idea on long cross-country trips. Impossible to keep the circulation to your toes. I wear them to town is summertime or I get shocked everytime I get out of the car.

Remember to always hang onto the door whilst you put a foot on the ground when alighting.

Fixes the problem!

Phil.

Years back, I knew a bloke having trouble starting his mower, so he removed the spark plug, held it against the head and cranked it to see if it was sparking. Unfortunately it was, and he was sprayed with burning fuel from the plug hole. Months in hospital ensued. 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif

• 8 months later...

I've had a similar experience in my trike yesterday. Luckily for me it didn't end up in a fire, just a static spark jumping between my finger and the funnel.

I wasn't using any nozzle, it was Mr Funnel straight into the tank, and jerry can touching the edge of the funnel (there was physical contact between the jerry can an the funnel at all times).

As I was finishing refueling a spark jumped between my finger and the opposite edge of the funnel to where the jerry can was touching it.

As mentioned earlier there was no fire, it just got my heart pumping faster.

According to the weather forecast there was 33% humidity yesterday and quite windy.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

That would have got your attention Zibi!

After reading an article in the Magazine recently on static caused by fuel turbulence in funnels, I fitted a clear plastic skirt to the top of my Mr. Funnel. I'd like to think it will contain petrol fumes and keep out enough fresh air that vapour pressure remains above flash point.

We seem to be stuck between ensuring clean fuel and preventing a fire.

I'd prefer a filter that fits into the tank opening, so I can stick the spout in there away from all that oxygen outside.

I've had a similar experience in my trike yesterday. Luckily for me it didn't end up in a fire, just a static spark jumping between my finger and the funnel.I wasn't using any nozzle, it was Mr Funnel straight into the tank, and jerry can touching the edge of the funnel (there was physical contact between the jerry can an the funnel at all times).

As I was finishing refueling a spark jumped between my finger and the opposite edge of the funnel to where the jerry can was touching it.

As mentioned earlier there was no fire, it just got my heart pumping faster.

According to the weather forecast there was 33% humidity yesterday and quite windy.

I wish you luck also with the lottery ticket I assume you bought 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I am new here so go easy on me. Let me know if I have this right.

1. People like to use a funnel when fueling from Jerry cans to be able to filter the fuel.

2. Using a funnel creates a static electric risk of spark outside the tank and due to the air fuel mixture this spark is dangerous.

3. Using a nozzle into the tank reduces the static charge and reduces the risk of a spark causing fire due to the different air fuel mixture.

4. This reduces the ability to filter the fuel.

Now if that is all correct, then why not use a funnel from the jerrycan/drum into a smaller clean plastic container with a nozzle. This would filter the fuel. Then pour into the tank using the nozzle in the tank to reduce the risk of fire. It sounds simple so I am asking if it would work or not because I assume that it has been thought of before and tried.

• Like 1

Sounds good Geoff. Quite a good idea: have containers for filtered fuel only. Do the filtering well away from your aircraft, then insert the spout directly into the tank to reduce static buildup. I might adopt this idea and buy an extra jerry can.

This doesn't help when refuelling while away from home, unless you can carry containers. I'd like to get hold of a filter which will wrap around a bowser nozzle and fit into the tank filler hole.

• Informative 1

I am new here so go easy on me. Let me know if I have this right.1. People like to use a funnel when fueling from Jerry cans to be able to filter the fuel.

2. Using a funnel creates a static electric risk of spark outside the tank and due to the air fuel mixture this spark is dangerous.

3. Using a nozzle into the tank reduces the static charge and reduces the risk of a spark causing fire due to the different air fuel mixture.

4. This reduces the ability to filter the fuel.

Now if that is all correct, then why not use a funnel from the jerrycan/drum into a smaller clean plastic container with a nozzle. This would filter the fuel. Then pour into the tank using the nozzle in the tank to reduce the risk of fire. It sounds simple so I am asking if it would work or not because I assume that it has been thought of before and tried.

I think most of the problem is that the funnels plastic , and even on a cold day like today that dry cold wind , static build up is every where . I carn't Evan walk across the floor at home without creating sparks .

The clothing that we ware when refilling makes a big difference ,

And can make the job more of a hazzard

Mike

Has anybody ever found contaminants in a mr funnel from a plastic jerry can, and is there not a filter before the carbs anyway

I caught about half a cup of dirty water in a Mr Funnel. It came out of my plastic jerry can which had been filled from a bowser with 95 mogas. So I will always filter what I put into the aircraft.

• Agree 2

Has anybody ever found contaminants in a mr funnel from a plastic jerry can, and is there not a filter before the carbs anyway

I'm with PM on this one 503 I've seen dirty fuel come out of a servo that had a GOOD reputation it can come from anywhere and vigilance is of utmost importance. At home I run everything through a filter and I have a mister funnel for when I'm away.

• Agree 2