Oops!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-11/emus-on-runway-likely-cause-of-outback-crash-landing/5149974

...thankfully our little planes are uncomplicated, but there is still a lesson for us. Talking takes up a good slice of our brain function. Even using a hands-free phone reduces awareness of what's going on. The best passenger is a switched-on co-pilot.

Damn, I have only one seat!

According to the police CIU or CUI the five reasons for fatal car crashes in order

1: inattention or distraction( texting, talking, changing radio, etc)

2: fatigue

3: alcohol, drugs

4: mechanical ( wheels, brakes, steering failure, overloaded)

5: speed

Obviously the more you add together the worse it will be but being distracted is the most deadly of all and also the easiest to do and it doesn't have to be something illegal that distracts you, I often think the things you love the most also distract you the most ie kids and spouse

My reply is a bit dodgy coz I'm texting while driving in Pacific Highway traffic...

095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif070_sleep.gif.1c8d367a0c12958f2106584470af404d.gif I know and that extra drink only made you sleepy but it could be worse after all each side of the road has four lanes which is a lot better than the two each way that it had this morning

095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif070_sleep.gif.1c8d367a0c12958f2106584470af404d.gif I know and that extra drink only made you sleepy but it could be worse after all each side of the road has four lanes which is a lot better than the two each way that it had this morning

All of the above are the reasons I shut my eyes. What I can't see can't scare me. I've also never seen a bad landing.

Cheers Scotty

Rego back yet Sam.

All of the above are the reasons I shut my eyes. What I can't see can't scare me. I've also never seen a bad landing.Cheers Scotty

Rego back yet Sam.

Long time no see scotty, no I'm still waiting on rego 078_pc_revenge.gif.92f2d38a0e662b2e0b6cba4dc0ba5c35.gif I'm checking my emails about once every ten minutes, not getting any work done but don't tell dad

Good to hear from you, Scotty! When you close your eyes, does your old bus know the way home?

Home is where the heart is gents, sometimes when you open you eyes your just glad to be anywhere. Makes you want another drink to calm the nerves. Enough of this, you'll get me a bad reputation and that will drive me to drink. Going to Taree tomorrow, either of you coming across?

Cheers Scotty

Home is where the heart is gents, sometimes when you open you eyes your just glad to be anywhere. Makes you want another drink to calm the nerves. Enough of this, you'll get me a bad reputation and that will drive me to drink. Going to Taree tomorrow, either of you coming across?Cheers Scotty

Not now:poking: just kidding, not planning on going over again till rego comes through

Home is where the heart is gents, sometimes when you open you eyes your just glad to be anywhere. Makes you want another drink to calm the nerves. Enough of this, you'll get me a bad reputation and that will drive me to drink. Going to Taree tomorrow, either of you coming across?Cheers Scotty

Glad to see you're airbourne, Scotty. How fortunate we are; we can still toss a bit of bullsh*t around without the thought police taking away our toys. I am particularly envious that you can wheel out your aerial landcruiser and fly down the coast to Ole's factory.

After being locked away for a month, my baby got an engine run in the backyard yesterday. Might fly next week, then a few months improving my short field technique. Still using GE to plan that trip over yowie country to your place.

• Like 1

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-11/emus-on-runway-likely-cause-of-outback-crash-landing/5149974

...thankfully our little planes are uncomplicated, but there is still a lesson for us. Talking takes up a good slice of our brain function. Even using a hands-free phone reduces awareness of what's going on. The best passenger is a switched-on co-pilot.

Damn, I have only one seat!

"BUMFHH" isn't it... Brakes, Undercarriage, Mixture, Fuel, Hatches & Harnesses... - of course, in the C172 and most RA aircraft "Undercarriage" means looking over the side and making sure the wheels are still there... (jeez it'd be a shock if they weren't!)

• Caution 1

Guest Maj Millard

OK

Glad to see you're airbourne, Scotty. How fortunate we are; we can still toss a bit of bullsh*t around without the thought police taking away our toys. I am particularly envious that you can wheel out your aerial landcruiser and fly down the coast to Ole's factory.After being locked away for a month, my baby got an engine run in the backyard yesterday. Might fly next week, then a few months improving my short field technique. Still using GE to plan that trip over yowie country to your place.

I must say the photo in your avatar is a real good angle of the Jodel...can you post it full size plus any others...love the paint job also............Maj.....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

OK

I must say the photo in your avatar is a real good angle of the Jodel...can you post it full size plus any others...love the paint job also............Maj.....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Why thank you, kind sir! (The further away you get, the better my paint job looks.)

Happy to oblige. Flew over my neighbour, a professional photoshooter. He got these with a hand-held Nikon from quite a distance. The sticker shop buggered up my order for large stars, so my grandies helped out.

image.jpg.d5a54c0f5986afa3fafc7ed94a9ae690.jpg

image.jpg.c2501246f38fbeacb06bd3b25a0398a0.jpg

image.jpg.dda43d0df0b8c306af5e465a6804bc60.jpg

image.jpg.e19afc11c2be95b0d76b6bac2424e3cc.jpg

image.jpg.7aa9ecb7cb3262e43f9b9f73ab9450ee.jpg

Why thank you, kind sir! (The further away you get, the better my paint job looks.)Happy to oblige. Flew over my neighbour, a professional photoshooter. He got these with a hand-held Nikon from quite a distance. The sticker shop buggered up my order for large stars, so my grandies helped out.

Your hands reminds me of this car.

dirty-car.jpg.97593df83699f896d542e40b694d94ae.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Yes really Lyle nice paint job, and I do like the handies....thanks for the photos........and a merry Xmas to you and the family..............Maj.....014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

According to the police CIU or CUI the five reasons for fatal car crashes in order1: inattention or distraction( texting, talking, changing radio, etc)

And guess which one the government puts the most effort into policing?

According to the police CIU or CUI the five reasons for fatal car crashes in order1: inattention or distraction( texting, talking, changing radio, etc)

Obviously the more you add together the worse it will be but being distracted is the most deadly of all and also the easiest to do and it doesn't have to be something illegal that distracts you, I often think the things you love the most also distract you the most ie kids and spouse

Do you have a link to those figures, I find them interesting. Some time ago, mechanical issues were considered to be very low on the causal factors list.

I wonder if it's possible that it's just how they compile data, ticking a box on form? Meaning that is it possible that even though, not actually a causal factor, these things were worn at the time of the accident?

I would really like to know just how they arrive at some of their conclusions and how accurate they actually are.

I think that distraction, speed and fatigue are closely linked. You are forced to drive at a mindnumbing, coma inducing slow speed, then you get distracted because your mind wanders when it bored, then you get fatigued.

A lot like a 2 o'clock afternoon boring meeting in a warm room after a feed, no-one is paying attention, you're going to fall asleep.

• Agree 3

No I don't have a link to those stats m6 it was just what was passed on to our local rescue squad by the local crash investigators, and those stats don't include accidents where no one was killed, they are only fatalities.