Is CASA a liability to an aircraft industry?

Well not so well controlled, there was a lot of fuel tankers and trucks sitting around last year from corner cutting,,,,and they were the ones that got caught!Matty

Just one had a crash, and was found to be unroadworthy; the unroadworthy factor as far as I'm aware has not been announced as the cause of the crash, however ALL the NSW trucks of Cootes Transport were checked, and those with roadworthy issues grounded before being allowed back on the road. Before that was completed a combined task force of RTA NSW officers who travelled to Victoria, and Vicroads checked all the Victorian trucks of Cootes Transport, and grounded any with roadworthy issues until they were fixed.

I'd call that well controlled.

If RAA did the same there would be Hissy Fits from Broome to Bessietown

• Informative 1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the above people who would like to drop my wages to 7 dollars an hr. or lower that's fine. but first drop the prices of houses and my power bill that has tripled in the last two years and car rego and insurance high taxes and all the other shit we pay heaps for.

068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

• Agree 4
  • Winner 1

All the above people who would like to drop my wages to 7 dollars an hr. or lower that's fine. but first drop the prices of houses and my power bill that has tripled in the last two years and car rego and insurance high taxes and all the other **** we pay heaps for.068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

I know what you mean, I got bills to, I also think the economics of the region will do that anyway(reduce standard of living) over the next few decades simply because we're a small population with a large land mass surrounded by people who will work for food,,,,it's a vicious circle ,we want a better wage so the costs go up, we then need more dosh to survive at the level we like,wages go up, costs go up, wages go up , then it becomes pointless for manufacturers to bother with us,,,,

Matty

K

Just one had a crash, and was found to be unroadworthy; the unroadworthy factor as far as I'm aware has not been announced as the cause of the crash, however ALL the NSW trucks of Cootes Transport were checked, and those with roadworthy issues grounded before being allowed back on the road. Before that was completed a combined task force of RTA NSW officers who travelled to Victoria, and Vicroads checked all the Victorian trucks of Cootes Transport, and grounded any with roadworthy issues until they were fixed.I'd call that well controlled.

If RAA did the same there would be Hissy Fits from Broome to Bessietown

Cool Dex...I still wonder though...I am seeing an awful lot of paper fixes recently...

why is falling real estate and asset prices a pain if assets and real estate was cheaper you wouldn't need such high wages to survive

Because one day you make wake up with $400k mortgage for a house worth $100k or less, which you won't be able to afford to keep paying or even sell.

• Like 1

What on earth are you talking about? Both these industries are very tightly controlled, and statistically sound.

"The trucking and towtruck industries are two very good example of what happens when you don't keep a lid on the cowboys"

Both these industries are modestly controlled but still suffer from exploitation of the drivers leading in some cases to excessive and dangerous working hours. If you talk to the drivers they are caught in a cycle of debt and under the thumb (the whip) of the trucking companies and major users. In the past, when there was less regulation, the industries were subject to much rorting and in some cases excessive criminality. If the regulations were relaxed it would go back to where it was.

I do talk to them, by the hundreds; that's my job. In the last five years I've given them the biggest cab in the industry, and a set of sleeper cabs with equipment aligned to the application up to 67" sleepers with cooking facilities and diesel powered air conditioning. I was one of the driving forces behind the recent fatigue regulations adopted by every State and Territory.

The whole truck industry now operates under Chain of Responsibility legislation where, if the distribution manager of a large company coerces a trucking company which coerces a driver to drive out of hours, all the people up the line can be charged for any resulting accident, and already there are cases where they have been.

Today, no driver can legally have excessive or dangerous working hours. No exceptions. The last of the subbies who try to use that excuse to squeeze in extra loads are certainly being squeezed out rapidly and so they should be.

Maybe you have wild west Tow Truck operators where you are, but in Victoria, tow trucks are allocated, and haven't turned up unannounced at accident sites for several decades, and operate very professionally. They don't deserve to be slagged.

"If the regulations were relaxed it would go back to where it was"

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle; the regulations are not being relaxed, so this is a pointless argument.

• Informative 1

CASA do a great job with air transport. But they need to be reigned in as they have become a massive cost burden given they now have functioning systems that work.Innovation works in other countries and if they sell there aircraft here they obviously comply with our rules as well. So blaming CASA might be not entirely accurate. Perhaps looking at the ridiculously high wages Australians get paid needs to be addressed. Most my friends and family are gainfully employed or run businesses, but over the xmas new year i mixed with extended family and friends. It was insightful to speak with some people who are unemployed and would happily take a full time job for far less then the minimum wage. But they are not allowed to.

Australia will face ongoing issues in all sectors until we manage to get our wage growth in check. I know some people struggle but the reality is we work now in a global labour market and we are tooooooo expensive. Some employees just are not productive enough on the world stage to warrent the high Australian minimum wage.

Unfortunately until we go thru some sort of correction we will continue to lose jobs overseas. We will never have labour as cheap as developing nations and we should not try to compete with them as they have a role of provding cheap low skilled employment. But if we want to compete with the higher skilled nations and the emerging skilled nations we need to look at our labour costs.

The UK has been through its correction as has the US and as a result they are now both showing some signs of recovery. We have not had a correction. We have had 30 years of growth and we where largely shielded from the GFC as a result of the savings built up by Howard and then spent by Rudd and Gillard. So we emerged unscathed, but we will continue to see industry and employment shrink until we see wages come back into sync with other western nations.

So im not saying dont blame CASA. But i am saying the issues of industry being hamstrung in Australia are far more widespread. Yes we have huge regulatory and taxation burdens, but our wages are one of the most significant factors holding us back.

The unions keep arguing for higher minimum wage. But the fact is every time they get it they also prevent some people retaining jobs and others from getting jobs. Its not that i dont think some people shouldnt get $650pw but the problem is at $650pw many industries and many people just cant create the $1000+ worth of productivity it takes to be able to pay someone $650pw and still have a profit left for the business owner.

Its not nearly as simple as this and i have only partially explained some aspects so some parts of this are poorly explained. But we need as a nation to work out do we all want to share the burden of a slightly lower living standard through lower wages growth or wage reductions or do we want the social problems and pain to be put on a certain percentage of people who's jobs continue to get lost to overseas until we wake up one day and realise we should have foreseen this problem coming and addressed it, rather then waiting till we have 10 or 20 or even 30 % unemployment and an economic recession to force the correction upon us. .

It wont be overnight but it will happen if we dont do something about it. We cannot continue to have business and govt pay $1000 for the productivity that $200 can buy overseas or that $500 will buy in the US or UK from equally skilled workers.

With this will come some pain like falling real estate and asset prices, but its going to happen anyway eventually as market forces price us out of the labour market. So do we want to be proactive and reduce our wages gradually till they are competitive or do we want to wait till we have a severe correction that gets lumped upon us at an intensity and timing that we have no control over.

I get very tired of seeing endless rants like this one about how wages in this country are too high. Apart from being very short-sighted, it's palpably wrong, and a forum about flying is NOT the place for that discussion.

• Winner 1

I get very tired of seeing endless rants like this one about how wages in this country are too high. Apart from being very short-sighted, it's palpably wrong, and a forum about flying is NOT the place for that discussion.

Yeh I know, there's been a couple of threads like this lately, and I've been in there participating, the only thing I can think of is that there's a lot of frustration out there with the way the world is going ,

Matty

The whole truck industry now operates under Chain of Responsibility legislation where, if the distribution manager of a large company coerces a trucking company which coerces a driver to drive out of hours, all the people up the line can be charged for any resulting accident, and already there are cases where they have been.

Having lost a truck-driving family member to fatigue and attended numerous truck crashes, this topic has my attention. In recent years there have been very few accidents in our patch, despite ever-increasing truck traffic. The reforms have saved a lot of lives. We now have national transport firms whose proudest claims are about the safety of their drivers. Keep up the good work Turbs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I do talk to them, by the hundreds; that's my job. In the last five years I've given them the biggest cab in the industry, and a set of sleeper cabs with equipment aligned to the application up to 67" sleepers with cooking facilities and diesel powered air conditioning. I was one of the driving forces behind the recent fatigue regulations adopted by every State and Territory.The whole truck industry now operates under Chain of Responsibility legislation where, if the distribution manager of a large company coerces a trucking company which coerces a driver to drive out of hours, all the people up the line can be charged for any resulting accident, and already there are cases where they have been.

Today, no driver can legally have excessive or dangerous working hours. No exceptions. The last of the subbies who try to use that excuse to squeeze in extra loads are certainly being squeezed out rapidly and so they should be.

Maybe you have wild west Tow Truck operators where you are, but in Victoria, tow trucks are allocated, and haven't turned up unannounced at accident sites for several decades, and operate very professionally. They don't deserve to be slagged.

"If the regulations were relaxed it would go back to where it was"

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle; the regulations are not being relaxed, so this is a pointless argument.

I like your post generally, but love the bit about your aunt specifically. 007_rofl.gif.8af89c0b42f3963e93a968664723a160.gif

Wages, cost of living etc are small pieces of a big pie.

It certainly is time in Australia where we sat down and assessed where we are and where we are going, and the "we" should not be politicians who don't have the time or the inevitable vested interests, so the Government could do it through the Committee system, which is bipartisan (this may come as a surprise to some of the most raucous on here), and have the Committee manage the process, but hire some professionals, including Sociologists, paid to do the job.

Too many things have just accumulated:

I can recall a top rate of 23% income tax, and sales tax confined more to non-essentials

Coming back to that may mean reducing "social services", and that's the first minefield

We have no hope of catching up with the cost medical needs as the gap widens alarmingly

We are paying well above CPI for electricity, and water in some States

We are sitting on hundreds of years of LP Gas in Bass Strait, so could run our cars on it at 2c/litre

We have fallen massively behind with high speed long distance commuter rail

We have failed to decentralise, so we have these single anthills in each State called cities and all the ants go one way on two or three tracks in the morning and the other way at night

Our cost of manufacture can never match those of countries producing 30 times our volume

We knew that and developed a tariff system, but Senator Button knew better and tore that down causing a manufacturing exodus

In many respects regardless of the above it takes many weeks less for our nett income to cover the cost of a car, and we can afford to throw whitegoods out when a fuse blows.

In our peri-urban areas less scrupulous developers by up huge parcels of land in the growth areas, then release about 3% per year, artificially inflating land prices.

If all the growth area land was required to be either farmed or sold, and the governments changed new home buyers for roads/lights/electricity/gas/sewerage/water/trains/buses/schools etc at cost, in some states the cost of a block of land would be hundreds of thousands of dollars less than it is now without most of that infrastructure.

That's only what I could think of in the last few minutes; you can see there are many opportunities, before getting on to how Australia will get its income post mining boom, which appears to be on our doorstep right now.

• Agree 1

Good Morning Turbo

Brought a smile to me about the ants going one way in the morning then the other way in the arvo (So Very True).

I have a bit of a clue to getting around Brisbane, and Brisbane is a night mare to get about and the experts are wanting to put more roads/tunnels/water/houseing estates etc. etc..

Why not develop industry away from Great South East Corner some of the bigger inlands towns for example( Roma, Miles, Charleville, Longreach) just to pick some, these towns have everything needed land/water/infrastructure/schools safe for the upbringing of kids etc. etc and it is all not expensive, nothing there yet, just put up a few buildings and they all turn up like bees to a honey pot.

Transport? Build the new business on the main Brisbane - Darwin road.

I think giving grants to develop the bush would be cheaper than the infrastructure around Brisbane.

The situation would be the same your way Turbo, just change the town names around, then the story would be the same.

The thing up here, we have so much open land which can be populated and crowd in the South East Corner are trying to stack to the sky, go bush even better flying out there as well.

Regards

Keith Page.

• Winner 1

Haven't you worked out that the LNP aren't nation builders yet? The LNP philosophy is that big projects are the realm of private capital, and no one is going to invest in Australia, when they can build the same factory in China for 1/3 the price.

• Winner 1

Won't Warren Truss just install an out of work farmer in the top job?

Could be good idea?

Bit different to a retired Airforce Captain and people having to march to his band, and old mate ignoring what we are all asking.

The farmer could be a better listeners. There are some very bright farmers about and they do not need a structured aorganisation to ram system and process down our throats.

Lets have a fresh start, with a new direction and not have these leaches dreaming up a grander system and process whcih makes their employment postion very secure.

Regards

Keith Page

Ok I'm just about retired full time and have moved out of Sydney so don't really give a crap about useless town planning etc.

Trucks..... get rid of those

killer dog trailers.

Flying.... lets nail the raa old boys club to a tree and put casa up against the wall and lets all go flying!

You are talking about a managerial pilot with that role in two companies. They are a different form of ?? aviator. Unlimited power in a small space. Come outside and you are just another mortal. Pilots like flying and love ALL flying machines Even cheap ones.. Nev

Keith, you have to be realistic about the LNP. An airline pilot has a unique industry insight that comes from being stuck in a cockpit 8hrs a day only able to communicate to ATC...

Fly_Tornado.

There is a bit more to than just sitting behind the controls. Yes the airline pilot has a unique """"view"""" because they are unique, have you ever heard some of them when they operate at larger regional airports away from controled air space? I here them in Emerald.

What about the rest of us we do have views and aspirations with out us there will be no airline pilots, because they all start at some flying school.

We do have airports, maintenance, construction, aircraft development, safety, promotion of aviation i.e. [friendly air shows] etc., etc., these aspects need developing and considering as well not only the aircraft controls.

Regards

Keith Page.