First Solo - Completed

Just did my first solo flight today at lilydale in a jabiru, 9am, nice warm day, little wind

I had a fairly good idea it was going to be today

First did a few circuits with the instructor, then i was on my own

Fist thing I did was msg wife, brother and best friend then turn phone off.

Taxied, did checks, radio calls etc got onto runway

OK take off time, full throttle

the it all of a sudden, HOLY $#!+, I am veering to the left extremely fast, press the right rudder pedal, that's better but not working enough, Im going fast now, but not fast enough to take off, stop? no i wont stop in time, i must straighten up first? stamp the right peddle even harder, ok better going straight now, f**k, my left wing is definitely going over the cones on the side of the runway now, and take off very very nervous and re-leaved.

YAY few, ok 500ft AAL flaps up, fuel pump, on wait no off, crap I didnt turn it on :(

Reach circuit height before crosswind turn, no traffic turn, no traffic downwind turn, ok wow im several 100's of ft too high.

throttle below cruise, do checks, all good, still way to high, throttle way back

no traffic, radio call, base turn, height speed good

no traffic, final turn, lined up, profile, height, speed all good

carby heat, is.. already... off?? ok almost there

round out, balloon a bit, touch down and bounce,

float a fair way down the runway and finally a smooth landing.

exit runway, radio call, do checks, hmmm fuel pump is off

taxi back to instructor, shutdown, still shaking nervously

and so ended my first solo

tldr

What I learned is:

I can do a solo circuit

I missed certain things in my checks, e.g. fuel pump, carby heat

I need to learn how to steer better on the ground

• Like 5
  • Winner 7

Well done Chris . You have probably discussed the flight with your instructor and critiqued your own performance as well ,as most of us did . I'm sure many of us also forgot to do certain things . I know I did ! But you did get back safely , and next time you will do even better. Best to take your time ,thereby ensuring that all the pre take off checks are done correctly , and also have the cards available for a quick check when in the circuit . Things happen much faster , eg. Rate of climb ,when the instructor gets out .

Bob

the almost crashing at the start set the nerves for the rest of the circuit.

I could still feel it when i was filling out my log book

there was no discussion with the instructor

rate of climb was about double with no instructor

rate of sink on final i was able to get right

was it a buzz???, not really dual to solo varies too much and i had to fly a bit differently, more concentration was needed for my first solo then what i normally needed

Well done, Chris. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif You can only ever have one first solo!

I still remember being surprised at the different flying characteristics without an instructor in the plane - reaching circuit height a lot quicker.

I also forgot to lower flaps to 30 on final, and landed with them at 15, which my eagle-eyed instructor spotted from the ground (solution - buy a Gazelle as it has no flaps 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif)

Keep us posted with your progress!

Cheers,

Neil

Well done, the pull to the left also caught me out on first solo, before i knew it i was heading 45 deg bound for the sticks, but i bugged out, turned around and tried again, (I think I must've buried the throttle too quickly being a bit nervous the first time and the torque caught me out)

Do think they would sell that adrenalin in easy swallow capsules, sure would be good to be able to carry that feeling around in your pocket to pop one every now and then. Makes your hands shake when you realise what you have done though.

Awesome!! Well done.

Don't stress to much now about what you missed or didn't do... the fact is you "knew" you missed it or did it not quite right afterwards, which to me, tells me that you know your stuff. Love it!

• Informative 1

Oh yeah still waiting for my next lesson, this wednesday should be good

Only problem with learning is concentrating so much on doing circuits, I miss looking out of the plane and simply enjoying the landscape and ground as i fly over it at a few hundred meters

• Winner 1