OzRunways

OzRunways_email_banner.jpg

We Got your Backup

Add an extra iPad to your account for only $20

Many people now have an extra iPad and are noticing the safety benefits of a backup iPad. Legislation requires a backup for AOC holders, and CASA recommends a backup for private pilots. We've listened, and we're glad to announce that you can add a backup iPad to your account for only $20 instead of paying for another full subscription.

Those of you with two paid subscriptions already - email us at help.ozrunways.com and we'll fix you up and combine your subscriptions into the one UserID. We'll also extend your subscription on the basis you've already paid!

The extra subscription is for a personal backup only:

Example 1: Bob has an existing OzRunways subscription. He has a 2nd device at home he wants to use as a backup. Bob can add his other iPad for $20 via hisAccount Page, right now!

Example 2: Jane is a Captain for an IFR Charter company. Both Jane and her copilot will need a full OzRunways subscription each as they are different people using a full set of data at the same time. Jane is welcome to have a 2nd iPad as a personal backup for $20 though.

Click Here to add a second iPad to your account now

OzRunways v4.1.1 released on App Store

This fixes and improves a bunch of things. Full release notes are available here.

Highlights include:

→ Double tap on map is now a shortcut to take you to the ERSA or Aerodrome Chart for that entry

→ Fixed a problem with slow downloading on WiFi with Bluetooth On and peer-to-peer sharing active.

→ Improve exporting plans to NAIPS

4e5b6d37-cdbf-4785-b1fc-8e6a9ccce3b4.png

Reminder: Rubber-Banding flight plans

You need to press-and-hold your finger now, then drag it.

This should feel more natural and be easier in turbulence.

And before we forget...

OzRunways on Android

Yes, really. And it will be awesome.

Our internal testing version is already looking very sexy. It is fast, smooth and easy to use airborne.

• It will run on 4.2 Jelly Bean and above so if you have a tablet by a major brand from the past year or two, it should work. Make sure you update it to the latest available OS.

• Yes you can use your $20 second device subscription for Android when it comes out, or swap your iPad for an Android.

• We are aiming to release it before Christmas so you can treat yourself to the rumoured Nexus 8.

• The look and feel is in keeping with OzRunways, but fits in with Android philosophy and design. If you are comfortable with OzRunways and Android, you will be a happy chappy.

• Phones will be supported too.

For more information and to follow our progress, check out our Project Marvin blog!

771f6875-4aed-4f5e-a9c7-ea20110291b0.jpg

OzRunways EFB for Android under development - a familiar interface, optimised for the "Holo" theme of Android 4.4 KitKat running on a Google Nexus 7 tablet. Right here it is being tested in track-up mode by flying connected to the X-Plane 10 flight simulator.

Copyright © 2014 OzRunways Pty Ltd, All rights reserved.

unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences

Assuming both Android and iPad versions are equally capable, why would you choose one over the other? Just curious since I'm in the same boat. I've never had any use for a tablet until now, but will need to make a choice fairly soon.

rgmwa

The biggest benefit of android is you don't have to use apple gear and some of the android tablets have a lot more uses than the iPad (yes I do have an iPad) and the benefit of having a USB slot or sd card slot would be aplenty.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Android version will not have all the features of the IOS version, yet.... As it technically a new product in development. But good to have the option. I'd probably wait a few versions of the Android release before I ditched the iPad

The biggest benefit of android is you don't have to use apple gear and some of the android tablets have a lot more uses than the iPad (yes I do have an iPad) and the benefit of having a USB slot or sd card slot would be aplenty.

Having a USB slot would be a definite plus. Thanks!

rgmwa

Using an IPAD i'm happy with the reliability of the Hardware and ozrunways software has proved reliable. I am sure the Android software will be reliable but there are some very good Android Tablets and some that wouldn't be classed as reliable. Is CASA going to go to lengths to approve some and not others ?

A second ipad and no phone under one standard subscription would work equitably for some, and would compete well with the opposition, With aging eyes Ozrunways is next to useless on an iPhone.

I like paper, Frank but I was looking at how much I needed to spend on charts. For my forthcoming trip and a Mini worked out far cheaper over a couple of renewal periods.

It's 6 years since I last went up through NT and Qld and my WACS are all out of date. There are VTCs and VNCs needed, plus ERCLs and a PCA to pay for.

I still keep the VIC and NSW charts and an ERSA so I'm not at the paperless office stage yet.

Kaz

• Agree 1

KazThe other option, for current back up maps, is to print a copy of the pages of your route and place them in a display folder in order.

Ok. I'll show my ineptitude...how do I print without buying a new printer?

The one I have at home is a 3 in 1 but it only has a USB connection for Windows. I have a Konica Minolta big b*****r in the office and have no idea if it will print for Macs.

Do you just hit the print button on the screen in OR or do you print a screen shot? Thanks

Kaz

I don't have a printer for my iPad either. My solution is to email the screen shot to my other computer and print it there.

Obviously doesn't work when you are away from home, and decide to go somewhere other then planned.

Another good reason to go with android, I saw in Harvey Norman a nice little portable printer with batteries but not compatible with iPad. At home we have just got a colour wifi laser jet for the business and it makes it so easy because there are no cords and you can be anywhere in the house and print straight off the iPad. If you have a router set up you can print from anywhere you have Internet access and it will be waiting for you when you get back.

• Agree 1

Also there are lots of 3 g used ipad 2 for sale that work fine...

Or for $129 you can use a dual xgps 150 on many devices as your gps reciever...

It also allows you to update any of your devices without being forced to buy models that have inbuilt gps

• Winner 1

Ok. I'll show my ineptitude...how do I print without buying a new printer?The one I have at home is a 3 in 1 but it only has a USB connection for Windows. I have a Konica Minolta big b*****r in the office and have no idea if it will print for Macs.

Do you just hit the print button on the screen in OR or do you print a screen shot? Thanks

Kaz

You can pick a wireless printer at the post office for $45+ .I've had the same one for years , and it's great for printing off oz/r and stuff from your phone or tablet

Cheap inkjet will do the job as Avocet said. Make sure it is AirPrint compatible but pretty well all are these days. As usual you'll pay more for the ink than he printer.

I use Google Earth on a 23" screen at home for route planning and a check on OzRunways. We have an iPad mini in the plane and I have the Dual XGPS160 for overkill. Backup is my full size iPad 3 3G in my flight bag. (Two subscriptions). And then there is OzRunways on my phone - not a first choice but would be way better than nothing!