Plane crashes into a house at Chelsea, in Melbourne's south-east

The ROD you have calculated is about the same as a DHC-1 spinning. Gliding would be about the figure stated. That ROD is equal to about 100 kph vertically plus the vector addition of any forward speed. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think it was a honda engine alf we saw it in hanger in sale a long time ago and it on CASA registrar with Honda still

Yes Deb,

You are correct now I think of it a Honda engine it might have been, I remember it being an auto engine of the Japanese brand, my mistake, he spent heaps on it to try and get more HP and had serious cooling issues, had more add on parts than Liberace with no real gain in the end.

Alf

Below are two consecutive lines from one of the media reports :

It said crashes were mainly caused by pilots losing control.

Mechanical faults, mainly partial or complete engine failures, caused more than half of the accidents. ( ? )

Now, do those statements amount to anything sensible ?

I realise that the average media reporter is not particularly au fait with aviation in any form, but that just doesn't make sense.

And I wonder why the media ALMOST ALWAYS use statements like "The hero pilot steered away from the school / highway / supermarket / etc. . ." when they can have no idea AT ALL of what actually happened. Sorry folks, I'm not media bashing, but it just irks me a tad.

Phil

• Agree 2

Whatever we all think is purely conjecture based on nothing more than what we have read in the media and the transponder data provided by Cameron. The coroner should determine whether it was medical & ATSB whether it was mechanical. It does seem certain that it was an uncontrolled descent, otherwise a landing on the beach would have been the probable outcome.

• Agree 1

Whilst I agree in principle with the thrust of your comment KG, I also realise that speculation ( by pilots and other people with at least SOME aviation experience ) is only natural, and is, in my view, not a bad thing intrinsically. Without such questioning of a given situation, having not much information to formulate a definitive cause, the world would be a pretty boring place ? ? ? Such is the learnng curve formed perhaps . . . .perhaps not, but since time immemorial, speculation and conjecture has been with us and will, I believe always be a feature of any media channel where those of like mind seem to congregate. . . . . .

Happy Days

Phil

• Agree 1

Phil, using the word "caused" confuses it. Is a "major element of" might be better. I think both the statements are essentially true and and a pilot can (and often does) lose control AFTER an engine failure complete or partial. because it is a pressure situation, and possible lack of training initial or ongoing. Nev

• 1 month later...

Very strange. Given the altitude, wind direction & strength it is not surprising that the things from the cockpit were found where they were. If the canopy was covered in oil perhaps it was slid back so the pilot could try to see where he was going & everything got sucked out. The report on the engine will be interesting to see.

Sorry for speculating in here.. But i dont agree Deb. A small amount of oil goes a long way. Can always look out the sides? Lets not start doing the "he should have done this" caper hey? The facts show oil on the canopy and wings, thats what I was referring to. Clearly for some reason the canopy was opened or compromised. Thats all we have to go on.

Doubt heavy things would be sucked out of the cockpit. Maps and paper work maybe. Ersa and radio?

Doubt heavy things would be sucked out of the cockpit. Maps and paper work maybe. Ersa and radio?

I thought the same but if he had some sort of parcel shelf like I do then the items would only have to be blown around sideways & just fall out.

That's what I was getting at..

Sorry Merv:doh: and there I was thinking I was clever 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif

Dad is always saying it's nearly impossible to get things through to me and then he says when he does get things through they keep going straight out the other side:puzzled:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking at the track where he was almost lined up on the beach, or had an easy option of ditching, but then curved back into the dense residential area with narrow streets south of Nepean Highway and the inevitable collision with a house, his situational awareness or vision appears to have been compromised.

Looking at the track where he was almost lined up on the beach, or had an easy option of ditching, but then curved back into the dense residential area with narrow streets south of Nepean Highway and the inevitable collision with a house, his situational awareness or vision appears to have been compromised.

Too me, that seems like the most logical explanation.