CASA - Draft Proposal for Jabiru Aircraft

slb

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gandalph, yes I certainly do expect a high standard of proficiency in all sorts of " simulated" emergencys.They are however just that, simulations. We can't really know how an individual will react in any real life scenario. That's why we have to 'manage' the risk as bet we can.

The reason I asked Nev that question was now that there is a clear safety concern been raised, we as instructors could be held liable should the worst case happen in a first or early solo.

It could be argued that we failed to minimise the " known" risk by allowing solo in an aircraft that casa have raised issue with.

I know the risk itself has not changed, but our exposure as instructors certainly has changed.

At least until a clear retraction has been given I won't be soloing students in a jab. Not that I could anyway, out 170 is parked up with head a off.

Sounds like you are getting your legal advice from Allen, best of luck.

Which single manufacturer is a bigger player then?

Funny how when Jabs were/are making the top of the charts with engine failures, everybody was saying "that is because they fly the most hours". Well nope they don't, Rotax does.

• Agree 2

You're dreaming if you think the victim accepts negligence; or keen to get rid of your assets.

In that dream there was a court case involving an instructor with a student passing on a couple of runways with a dodgy Jab engine (is that tautology?) and eventually having a forced landing that was not too pretty. And then I dreamed the student took the instructor to court and *lost* on the grounds that Rec Av is a dangerous pastime not unlike parachuting of water skiing.

Now this wasn't unsuspecting passenger this was eyes wide open student who may have even signed a waiver and read the sign that says "this is a dodgy aircraft in which you fly at your own risk".

Of course, I may have just imagined that dream . . .

• Caution 1

In that dream there was a court case involving an instructor with a student passing on a couple of runways with a dodgy Jab engine (is that tautology?) and eventually having a forced landing that was not too pretty. And then I dreamed the student took the instructor to court and *lost* on the grounds that Rec Av is a dangerous pastime not unlike parachuting of water skiing.Now this wasn't unsuspecting passenger this was eyes wide open student who may have even signed a waiver and read the sign that says "this is a dodgy aircraft in which you fly at your own risk".

Of course, I may have just imagined that dream . . .

No you didn't dream it, just forgot there was the tiny detail that the instructor had not been negligent.

• Caution 1

Depends on whether you're quantifying engines or aircraft.

Aircraft airframes have nothing to do with it, it is the power plant fitted to the airframe that counts . There is no way to sugar coat it, fact is Jabiru engines have flown less hours than Rotax and have had a lot more failures. Ya know, they havent learnt much over the years, I had a partial failure back in 1998 in a 2200 and Jab hasn't learnt much since then. They are still in denial, what a bunch of wankers.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

I was certainly not dreaming when I had my 2engine failures during circuit training. But feel free dreaming that the problems will go away putting blindfolds on. Please ensure you are awake when you check your engine through bolts. No more comment.

• Informative 1

It amazes me to think that someone can afford 100k plus for but can't afford an extra 10 to 15% for safety.

Ahh I see where you are coming from, if you can afford 300kgs of ridiculously overpriced aluminium/fiberglass, then affording a ridiculously overpriced engine shouldn't be an issue.

For years now I have been pushing the need to do something when leaving engines idle for as little as two weeks. The oil rings wipe virtually all oil off the surface of the cylinders and the combusted fuel produces water contaminated with acids. Nev

It's called EFI.

Fuel injection doesn't flood nor wash bores while running and when you shut the engine off, the moment the electricity stops so does the fuel and for the last few rpms as the engine winds down, it picks up a bit of supplementary lubrication. This is one reason why modern fuel injected car engines live so long now. They don't ice up either.

It appears to me that this thread has gone waaay off track..as so often happens on this forum...

Yup, now we are talking about how the thread has gone off track, that's very off track.

I know. Is Ross really a Major? Is Old Man Emu really a flightless bird? Is Merv really Mozart? Does it matter?????

I uphold the side, I really am better.

• Like 1

Getting back to more important matters. Was there supposed to be a meeting this afternoon ?If so, did it happen ?

Any idea of any outcomes ??

RAA put out a newsletter date-stamped 8:07 pm in my inbox and this is all that is said about Jabiru:

"Jabiru Update

Recreational Aviation Australia made its submission to CASA and the Minister for Transport last Friday in regard to the proposed restrictions on Jabiru aircraft. Submissions were required by the closing date yesterday (27 November 2014). Recreational Aviation Australia continues to liaise with CASA and Jabiru to ensure the best possible outcomes for our members and will continue to provide updates to members as they come to light. "

Not much to chew on there!

Now that submissions have closed with CASA yesterday concerning this issue, one can now compare how Jabiru Aircraft & Camit have come out of this, from the numerous thread postings on this web site. Both of these Companies are good genuine Aussie Companies but have been singing from different hymn books for some time & as soon as they start singing the same song from the same hymn book page then Jabiru engines will only then become more reliable & safe from an engineering point of view.

Therefore from the numerous postings on this subject the majority site members would probably sum the comparisons up between these 2 Companies in a humerous way as follows:

Camit- Came off smelling like roses.

Jabiru Aircraft-Came off smelling like horse manure.

If these 2 abovementioned natural odours were mixed together, then the odour coming from this mixture would be pleasant to all Jabiru owners & Pilots .

RAA put out a newsletter date-stamped 8:07 pm in my inbox and this is all that is said about Jabiru:

"Jabiru Update

Recreational Aviation Australia made its submission to CASA and the Minister for Transport last Friday in regard to the proposed restrictions on Jabiru aircraft. Submissions were required by the closing date yesterday (27 November 2014). Recreational Aviation Australia continues to liaise with CASA and Jabiru to ensure the best possible outcomes for our members and will continue to provide updates to members as they come to light. "

Not much to chew on there!

Thanks

Happy to play nice when Turbo does. He is mocking an officer of the court with actual legal experience and qualifications. Tone it down a bit dude, it's a bit full on every day.

I must have missed something because I don't recall ever reading about Gandalph's legal quLifications or his role as an officer of the Court.

I'd appreciate that information being repeated for my benefit, please.

Kaz