CASA - Draft Proposal for Jabiru Aircraft

slb

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... "aircraft fitted wtih jabiru engines"...

CASA is responding to a high, and increasing, rate of engine failures among aircraft that are powered by engines manufactured by, or under licence from, Jabiru Aircraft Pty Ltd (Jabiru). Such aircraft are referred to in this document as 'Jabiru powered aircraft'.

The issues appear to be the result of several failure modes, which require separate investigation.

CASA has formed the view that its functions under the Civil Aviation Act 1988 require it to mitigate certain risks to passengers, trainee pilots and persons on the ground.

Accordingly, while CASA works with Jabiru to identify the causes of these engine failures and to implement appropriate corrective actions, CASA proposes a set of operating limitations on Jabiru powered aircraft.

Additional information

Email: [email protected]

• Informative 1

There would be a hell of a lot of people in that position I would think 2tonne. Not good for you, them or obviously the schools that operate these machines. It is going to make it extremely hard for many of them to survive I would think. Not to even mention the resale value for Jabs in the short term.

Cheers Geoff13

• Agree 2

The instrument will impose operating limitations on Jabiru powered aircraft that are issued with a CASR Part 21 authorisation by way of conditions under CASR 11.068.

The instrument will also impose the same operating limitations on Jabiru powered aircraft that operate under the exemptions in CAO 95.55, by way of a direction under CASR 11.245.

Disregard my question, the details are in the document....

I'm flying at Lilydale, and from what I understand they have had three J160s online since around 2007. I believe they have had only one engine failure and forced landing in that time. With each aircraft doing somewhere in the order of around 1000 hours a year, I see the risk of having an engine failure while I am flying solo as pretty low.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 2
  • Caution 5

With each aircraft doing somewhere in the order of around 1000 hours a year, I see the risk of having an engine failure while I am flying solo as pretty low.

Reading the document, I don't think Mr Ungermann agrees that you are qualified to make that assessment. Once you have your certificate he is happy for you to make that choice for yourself but not for your passenger. You must be going to learn a lot in the next few hours of training!

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

This is a case of short term pain but long term real gain. Jabiru will be forced to improve the reliability of all Jab engines. I just hope they have the financial reserves to do that and stay in business. It would be a disaster for aviation in Australia iJab were to go under. I wonder if it will force a jab to take up the Camit improvements to get a quick result to meet CASA requirements.

How will Jabiru sell a single aircraft while this hangs over their head? They must have known it was coming. Perhaps finally we'll be able to buy a Jab with Rotax engine as a factory build?

• Agree 12

That does seem overkill limiting all jabs to single seat (or dual pilot), I wonder if this was in response to less then forthcoming assistance from the factory or just CASA knee jerk reaction.

This is only effective till June 2015, so CASA are giving Jab the option of backing their customers.

• Agree 2

Reading the document, I don't think Mr Ungermann agrees that you are qualified to make that assessment. Once you have your certificate he is happy for you to make that choice for yourself but not for your passenger. You must be going to learn a lot in the next few hours of training!

I am sure that Mr Ungermann doesn't agree with my assessment. Will have to make the next solo flights as long as possible!

If this proposal goes through, and if Jabiru can't resolve it quickly, I am concerned it could mean the end of Jabiru in Australia.

• Agree 2

I wonder if this applies to an experimental amateur built(VH registered) and RAAus registered aircraft or just the certified VH registered ones?...

I am certainly not a fan of Jabiru, however I have just submitted an email to Lee Ungermann requesting that experimental aircraft powered by Jabs be exempt from this due to the fact that it conflicts with the experimental regs which are designed to allow those freedoms regardless of what engine. I hope others will do the same and send in an email before the 20th to highlight this issue.

This is a case of short term pain but long term real gain. Jabiru will be forced to improve the reliability of all Jab engines. I just hope they have the financial reserves to do that and stay in business. It would be a disaster for aviation in Australia iJab were to go under. I wonder if it will force a jab to take up the Camit improvements to get a quick result to meet CASA requirements.How will Jabiru sell a single aircraft while this hangs over their head? They must have known it was coming. Perhaps finally we'll be able to buy a Jab with Rotax engine as a factory build?

I agree, if Jab fix the problems, then this could very well become a massive gain for them. There are already some Jabs out there with factory installed Rotax engines, all 24 and legit (I believe one is based at Caboolture and is available for flight training).

• Agree 3

Guest Andys@coffs

I'm sure a fix will become available....who will pay for that fix....now that's the (tens of) million dollar question Hey!

If you own a jab and ever want the RH seat to carry who it used to best start saving your $$$......Even if a fix were available tomorrow how many folk do we really have qualified and trusted (that "and" is a logical and not an or) to do the work in AU......This will take year(s) to roll out and $k per machine to fix........

Unless there is middle ground found

Andy

Government (via Ungerman and CASA) attempting to crush Australian businesses - indeed an industry. Recall they did nothing whilst Robinsons were incinerating people.... I can't see any data included to back up the claim of 'high and increasing'. CASA's fee's are high and increasing, would be timely to apply the same approach to them perhaps. You'd think they would have enough on their hands sorting out the RPL and Avmed shambles, but apparently it's OK for them to produce defunct products.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Caution 1

Would Jab be so spiteful to close their Australian factory?

Sadly they could indeed be at risk, as I'm sure no sales will be going ahead after this. No income generally causes a business to go under very quickly.

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1