slb

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Maj Millard

The L1 training material is now on the RAA website....a lot of work has been put into it......it is now up to FAA standards with study guide etc.... Maj........014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Yeah, got to love the GA spark plug extracts - just what every rotax and jabiru doesn't have, and the heart bolt is a fun one - yes its an example of reading a manufacturers schedule ... but could we have chosen a term for a critical bolt in a trike that was not manufacturer specific? Only airbourne call them heart bolts - the rest of the trike world know then officially as hang bolts - unofficial names abound ;-)

• Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard
Yeah, got to love the GA spark plug extracts - just what every rotax and jabiru doesn't have, and the heart bolt is a fun one - yes its an example of reading a manufacturers schedule ... but could we have chosen a term for a critical bolt in a trike that was not manufacturer specific? Only airbourne call them heart bolts - the rest of the trike world know then officially as hang bolts - unofficial names abound ;-)

I would call them Jesus bolts.........!!

Question 3: Who is responsible for specifying the maintenance requirements for aircraft registered by R-Aus?

Answer: RA-Aus

this was a bit of a concern ... doesn't the Aircraft Manufacturer have a say at all?

Guest Maj Millard
So somebody who is a L1 for 20 years all of a sudden isnt a level 1 anymore until they do this crap ?

Daz...nobody is going to lose a level 1.. You just now have to prove that you have some skills and knowledge to back it up. If as you say you have been around or 20 years than I'm sure you will find you do have the knowledge. The whole thing is designed to update an estimated 1/3 of us who need to update our skills and knowledge.

It is CASA who mandated that if you hold a Rating you needed to demonstrate that you have the appropriate skills for that rating. The RAA tech team and other have done a great job of putting this together for us.

Question 3: Who is responsible for specifying the maintenance requirements for aircraft registered by R-Aus?Answer: RA-Aus

this was a bit of a concern ... doesn't the Aircraft Manufacturer have a say at all?

Yes and no. If the manufacturer does specify then the tech manual says you should follow them - if it does not specify them then the tech manual has generic that should be followed.

The reason the RA-Aus specifies them in this way is that its a membership thing - members are required to follow association rules/directives so its the RA-Aus directive to follow that has authority as the CASA is not requiring by law.

My beef is that the tech office and officers have a history of trying to apply directives to the owners of 95.10 aircraft - and as we all are the designers we can damn well do as we please in reality - its actually so very free under 95.10 that it would be difficult for the Tech Manager to order a change or service requirement as I can just turn around to any 'request' and say thanks but what I am doing is the designers intent and I chose not to take your advice on this one.

If I hold a maintainers approval to maintain an experimental GA aircraft that i built myself and ahve been maintaining an RAAus for 12 years, do I still have to do more study for L1?

Daz...nobody is going to lose a level 1.. You just now have to prove that you have some skills and knowledge to back it up. If as you say you have been around or 20 years than I'm sure you will find you do have the knowledge. The whole thing is designed to update an estimated 1/3 of us who need to update our skills and knowledge.It is CASA who mandated that if you hold a Rating you needed to demonstrate that you have the appropriate skills for that rating. The RAA tech team and other have done a great job of putting this together for us.

So if I just send a copy my Advanced cert in aircraft maintenance and my Certificate of Proficiency Aircraft mechanic (airframe) certifcate from NSW Department of industrial relations under the 1989 industrial & commercial training act and I was a aircraft technician on F111 and Tornado jets for 12 years Blah blah to Barnfield. I should be kosher ?

• Like 1

So if I just send a copy my Advanced cert in aircraft maintenance and my Certificate of Proficiency Aircraft mechanic (airframe) certifcate from NSW Department of industrial relations under the 1989 industrial & commercial training act and I was a aircraft technician on F111 and Tornado jets for 12 years Blah blah to Barnfield. I should be kosher ?

I think all will be good and you will have a new best friend. Maybe get a L2 or even L4 instead of L1 .

I think all will be good and you will have a new best friend. Maybe get a L2 or even L4 instead of L1 .

Thanks, but no thanks. There is no money in being a L2 when insurance ect it paid. L1 is all I want and need.

Guest Maj Millard

Daz...good question...I believe there may be a provision for recognition of prior learning in this program...give Katie Jenkins a call if you've got time...she may be able to help you on that.

The term "Heart Bolt" came from the Hang Glider world which is what trikes were developed from and Airborne was one of the original Hang Glider manufacturers. If it fails your heart stops not very long afterwards. It is the original and correct name.

Guest Maj Millard
I just did it ( passed) only took 52 mins of my time !I found it fun!

That's just my own opinion .

Happy days

Well done Tim...no big deal Huh ?....and I bet you've actually learnt something in the process which is the whole idea really.

The term "Heart Bolt" came from the Hang Glider world which is what trikes were developed from and Airborne was one of the original Hang Glider manufacturers. If it fails your heart stops not very long afterwards. It is the original and correct name.

Original and correct .... if you are using an Airbourne trike ... try the French (tanarg), USA (evolution Revo), or UK (P&M, Medway) or other countries and it will not be the original or correct name ... even here in OZ all handbooks and partlists for trikes made in the rest of the world will call them hang bolts.

But, hey, got to love the Australian centric world view 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Airborne were around a long time before any of the other trike manufacturers existed so I reckon they have the IP on the name. Anyway call it what you like so long as you don't confuse it with any other part.

Airborne were around a long time before any of the other trike manufacturers existed so I reckon they have the IP on the name. Anyway call it what you like so long as you don't confuse it with any other part.

Really? a long time before ANY other trike manufacturer? OK. If you see the world that way I'll bow to your knowledge ... shall we start a petition to get EVERY other country in the world to recognize this absolute truth and update all their training materials and handbooks ... or are we happy to just pull up the drawbridge on Planet OZ? 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

Therefore most bolts on Trikes should be known as 'heart bolts'. I can't think of many that would not result in a stopped heart if they failed.

• Agree 1

Never heard of a heart bolt, speak english and describe exactly what they want, not some obscure term. How the hell can you treat this seriously if they dont write in english for us poor home builders that only have an engineering background, not a hang gliding background. GRRRRRRR.

Br a shame to miss out on this L1 thing because I dont speak slang, have no "skin? in the game .. knuckles or what...etc. For petes sake speak english, not giberish.)

• Agree 1