L1 Maintainer Training and Assessment Site

slb

Hi All

With this post I am not being discriminatory regarding any person. I am wishing to be fair to all concerned.

I have been involved in training and there is a lot of material which does suit the situation and has to be modified for the purpose of presentation as one size does not fit all.

I wish not want to sound negative regarding this L1 training I am of the belief it will not cover everyone.

My thinking is not 100% behind this L1 training being done by way of the internet because it favors the people with an academic aptitude for learning.

Remember RAAus is for recreation and learning not an academic institution the organisation should cover the complete spectrum of members as it is there is only one group covered.

I believe L1 training should be done in a hands on work shop situation so the people with a manual aptitude can thoroughly grasp what is being said because if they are not sure the point can be demonstrated let's face it we all can do with a bit of demonstrating of points plus there is one other "We all can sit down and share ideas" As yet the Internet has not demonstrated the sharing aspect.

Regards

KP.

• Agree 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having done the L1 exam I am now totally confused. I get an email confirming that I have passed, but with an attachment that tells me I have not???? In addition, half of the questions I got wrong were not the questions I actually answered.If I interpret the intent of the exercise correctly, the aim is to educate people on where to look things up. It does do that quite well.

There are problems with the Knowledge Deficiency Report. RAA are aware of this and dealing with it as an IT issue. Your pass should be correctly recorded, you can log in to confirm this, it should show up as green and passed. This is very much intended as a beta test period, with Feb 2015 as the target date for it to be released properly.

Regards,

Paul

• Agree 1

don't see the problem, sat it, finished it, passed it in 17 mins. Not very difficult. If you can get your pilots cert, you can definitely get this one. Common sense if you are maintaining your own aircraft. You should be able to prove that you know at least where to find the info even for your own safety. I am an owner builder and sat it for my own info.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

There are problems with the Knowledge Deficiency Report. RAA are aware of this and dealing with it as an IT issue. Your pass should be correctly recorded, you can log in to confirm this, it should show up as green and passed. This is very much intended as a beta test period, with Feb 2015 as the target date for it to be released properly.Regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul!

With a super slow internet connection I havn't tried to do the exam. but someone said it is mainly about how to look up what you need and someone else says it should be done in a workshop. What is it really all about? from my reading it seems to me to know the relevant parts of the ops manual.

When I did the SAAA maintenance course it was apparent that you could pass even if you didn't know the difference between a spark plug and a carbie. What you needed was to be able to quote the regs and do he paperwork.

I am waiting for a reply to my queries from the CEO.

Not that I really know, from what some are saying here, the RAA course wants to set a base information on what you can and cant do, whos responsible and where to find out more.

Nothing to do with how to maintain. Maybe RAA have pushed that way a little.

Bit like saying GFPT teaches you how to fly...... no hands on training is but you need what it teaches as base knowledge.

Id have thought existing L1 are who need it the most. Way too may clouded ideas on how the regs work, what and SB means, how rego catagories change things. Probably should be a currency test every few years too.

My thinking is not 100% behind this L1 training being done by way of the internet because it favors the people with an academic aptitude for learning.

Not necessarily. You could log on and then get a friend (or friends) to answer for you. There would be no way of knowing who actually completed the test.

• Haha 1

Not necessarily. You could log on and then get a friend (or friends) to answer for you. There would be no way of knowing who actually completed the test.

That is a very valid point, I was not thinking in that line of thought.. With a work shop there would be a bit of surety that people would be getting a grasp of the techniques.

Regards

KP.

If you read the blurb, the new L1 test, I believe, is for those that are not currently have a pilots cert. Those of is who have one are ok and already have it on the cert. Please correct me if i'm wrong. (It will also only apply from the inception date which I believe wont be for a few months yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would have a go at the l1 exam,then thought lets do it with out studying to see how much I know, ended up with 37 percent, which proves the point you think you might know enough but there is always more to learn,people should think instead of an exam it's a way to learn more about aviation and your aircraft never stop learning , a little knowledge never hurt anyone, enjoy Keith.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I sat the test today after reading the study guide quickly. Straight forward but more concerned with documentation than what a spark plug colour will tell you.

One of the questions is whether you retain your existing L1 status. You do without sitting the test, as long as you keep your RAAus membership up to date.

Anyhow, easy as. Some semantic differences with the preferred answers but still ok.

Do it for your knowledge base with respect to administration and legal responsibilities.

• Agree 1

If the system is trying to do the job, and keep costs down as well we should work with it, even if it isn't perfect and get the most available to ourselves from that source as possible. Knowledge beats regimentation,. It has to be "Quality" not hearsay carefully selected to NOT confuse. You must be able to trust it. Nev

• Agree 2

• 3 months later...

I passed my L1 exam today in about an 1.5 hrs..I thought it was good, I learnt some things I didn't know, so well done RA-Aus team any training to make me safer is good training as far a I am concerned.

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

.... This is very much intended as a beta test period, with Feb 2015 as the target date for it to be released properly.

Has the Test period finished yet?

The website still states that: The initial phase of this package has now been developed and is designed to provide present and future L1 holders with:

suggesting that there is more to come??

I still havn't tried to get to the test, but from what I read here it seems as if it similak to the industry approvals for entering sites.

I got so fed up with them that in the end I used to fail them on purpose. Didn't make any difference I still got my card giving me access. That was to sites such as the power station at gladstone, Qld Alumina and Boyne Smelters. I had been around for so long that the beaurocrats couldn't believe I had failed. In one case I even refused to answer some of the questions as I considered them stupid. Still got the card.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This L1 saga is crazy. I have already got two L1 certificates issued by RAA (one on line thing) and now going on about another course. All this to maintain your own ONLY aircraft.

Surely SB/ADs issued by the manufacturer are more relevant then another proposed course everytime someone gets another bright idea.

Surely L2s operating/believing/pretending they are LAMEs (obviously excluding LAME qualified L2s) and selling their time as "professional" services is more of a worry.

Knowledge of your aircraft is to be encouraged (e.g. I'm doing a manufacturer's run maintenance course later this year) but all this basic on line rubbish is just time wasting IMO.

• Agree 3

Probably a question worth asking, the person who was developing / coordinating the L1 training has moved on.

Moved on? I thought the Tech Office was doing this ...?