Sport Pilot Magazine

ave8rr

If the Internet is good enough for members to read their magazine "online" then it must be good enough to have a digital link up for the board meetings. This would save thousands in travel and accommodation costs.

I am a member of a club that holds its monthly board meetings via audio/visual hookup and we STILL receive a hard copy of the club magazine.

• Agree 4
  • Winner 1

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Internet is good enough for members to read their magazine "online" then it must be good enough to have a digital link up for the board meetings. This would save thousands in travel and accommodation costs.I am a member of a club that holds its monthly board meetings via audio/visual hookup and we STILL receive a hard copy of the club magazine.

I believe they do already have digital link up meetings, phone hookup and the electronic forum (not sure about video), however our constitution requires the 2 face to face board meetings. Might be worth asking for that to be removed/replaced in a submission to the CEO on constitutional change.

• Like 2

I LIKE getting the mag. ... I have it around for months before donating to the dentist, doctor, pizza bar, ect., Would I read it online over and over? Absolutely not. It's a bloody shame. I feel hard done by....

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

I LIKE getting the mag. ... I have it around for months before donating to the dentist, doctor, pizza bar, ect., Would I read it online over and over? Absolutely not. It's a bloody shame. I feel hard done by....

Although I still follow commercial and military aviation to some degree, it was only due to finding a copy of the magazine that I became interested in recreational matters. Otherwise I'd still be oblivious to the existence of RAA and the RP certificate. When factoring in circulation most publishers consider the value of the copy being passed on.

• Agree 4

I always liked the Magazine in paper copy... why? Because in my opinion it always was and always will be a bloody good read... It is a shame to see it go. I guess I have no problem with paper disappearing...we have to be realistic....but it is a sad loss.

As one of the many Australian citizens who already has been told we WON"T ever get NBN other than by satellite, and that the eventual system is in the promise basket without a deadline, I will resent having to pay extra for the paper magazine. My preferred option? - have a "stripped down" version on the web, i.e. remove all pictures and advertisements and just post the text content. Make this available to any member who can't download the full version. That way we still get the vital info, letters to editor, etc. without the costs to both expensive downloads and the ridiculous time it takes to get them.

• Agree 2

Guest Andys@coffs

Folks

There will be much more on this subject over coming weeks, but the reality is:-

1) We are today operating to a deficit budget, where the budget was showing a shortfall of $500k per year. Actuals are better than that as the CEO shaves where he can.

2) There are 3 major expense areas in RAAus. 1) Staffing costs (the biggest single cost we have) 2) Insurance, where the major contributor is the pilot liability insurance, 3) The magazine. After that there is about $600k of other costs that don't fit into the top 3. So, to put the top 3 in context we are talking around $1.6m or thereabouts. ( I don't have the budget in front of me as I Write this so check these numbers yourself for accuracy...I'm pretty sure that quantum I provided is correct albeit with a bit of course rounding)

3) CASA drove the need within RAAus for a SMS, and those require staffing, That with registration issues and the restaffing/process work drove staffing numbers above previous year levels.

4) Despite 3) members have never been asked for 1c more in subscription costs to cover the additional staffing expenses because the board today believes we can address the deficit through a number of concurrent projects that we are running now, some of which will deliver savings in a short time frame and others over a longer period, but all are, in our opinion required for sustainability.

So, as someone previously suggested in this thread the reality of the magazine decision is to acknowledge that today, right now, there is nothing we can do to reduce the staffing levels to deal with the deficit, there is nothing we can do in the insurance space to deal with the deficit and equally there is not enough in the "all others" bucket to enable an 83% reduction to address the deficit.

Reality is that we need to raise membership costs by around $50 per member to cover the deficit while we wait for the longer term systems upgrade to deliver the efficiencies we need to actually be allowed to address staffing costs. The needed system upgrades are well on the way, with an expectation of Q4 delivery this year. They are not minor in scope, they are major undertakings

Today, whether you want a digital magazine or not, you cant have one, This decision fixes that and allows people to choose to incur the paper magazine expense or not, and allow for the costs associated by that decision to be borne by only by those that the expense relates to (User pays....Not the first time such an approach has and will be taken). For those that choose to accept a digital magazine only, then they will receive a $50 pa rebate. Those that choose (and its all about free choice) to continue with a paper magazine will have to pay the increased costs over todays costs as the fixed magazine printing costs are amortised across a smaller run volume.

Now I fully acknowledge that this decision will not please everyone, however I would ask if you think this is a crazy decision to identify an equivalent savings (circa $400k) that the board can replace this with. Board numbers and travel as suggested earlier are a start.....but fall a long way short of $400k..........

The numbers provided above are to illustrate the issue and quantum, but do not take , for example the $50 rebate and the $50 increase in member costs to be anything other than an example number. When we know the quantum's involved the real numbers will be struck, and it may be that all might have to pay an extra membership cost per year, with the amounts being smaller for those choosing to take an electronic copy of the mag, or, it might be that there might be a real reduction in costs for those that choose to discontinue the paper mag......

So, its fine to criticise , you all know I've done a fair bit of that over the years, but if you choose to do that then tell me how we are to address the deficit. As said we need $500k at least with the mag at this stage conceptually providing a major chunk of that. CASA has historically never reduced the RAAus Deed of Arrangement obligations, rather each year, or 2, they increase and that drives our cost base upwards....Continuing to fund the deficit from reserves hoping that things improve down track is not a strategy that I'm comfortable with, however I'm happy to hear your alternates.

Andy

BTW when we send you a digital copy of the magazine its then up to you what you do with it.....It can, as some of you have suggested, end up in the bit bucket (trash) or you might well choose to send it to all your mates, some of who might not be members of RAAus, and they in turn will send it who knows where......Your paper copy however can only be in one place at a time...... So it's not all negatives, there are positives that need to be considered as well in my opinion.

Guest Andys@coffs
As one of the many Australian citizens who already has been told we WON"T ever get NBN other than by satellite, and that the eventual system is in the promise basket without a deadline, I will resent having to pay extra for the paper magazine. My preferred option? - have a "stripped down" version on the web, i.e. remove all pictures and advertisements and just post the text content. Make this available to any member who can't download the full version. That way we still get the vital info, letters to editor, etc. without the costs to both expensive downloads and the ridiculous time it takes to get them.

This a good idea, you should send the CEO an email to that effect, equally anyone else that agrees should do the same

Just at the end there Andy you mentioned we can still send the digital magazine on to our friends, I did think earlier it was mentioned that non members would be able to subscribe to the digital mag for a small fee, my question is; will there not be any safeguards in place preventing the forwarding of the digital version?

It would be a good thing if we could send it on and spread it around but I had just automatically thought that would be prevented.

Sounds a bit like other financial discussions

We are in really deep s@&t and everyone wants the benefits without sacrificing anything

Digital copy is fine fine by me, savimg trees, postage and more timely issue and arrival.

Id assume more timely information inside due to faster production and deadlines

Guest Andys@coffs
Just at the end there Andy you mentioned we can still send the digital magazine on to our friends, I did think earlier it was mentioned that non members would be able to subscribe to the digital mag for a small fee, my question is; will there not be any safeguards in place preventing the forwarding of the digital version?It would be a good thing if we could send it on and spread it around but I had just automatically thought that would be prevented.

it hasn't been finalised....on the one hand we want to monetize what we can, your membership fees will benefit wherever that can be done successfully, on the other hand a new member is worth heaps more to the organisation than a emag subscription so I would expect a bit of fine tuning to take place.....

Bottom line is that the board has authorised the CEO to a broad direction, it's up to him to determine the nuts and bolts.

Andy

FolksThere will be much more on this subject over coming weeks, but the reality is:- ................................ etc

Good on you Andy, for posting the facts here.

Regards & keep up the good work.

This Board & CEO are taking the hard decisions that should have been addressed 3 - 5 years ago.

You can't blame this CEO & Board for being pragmatic and running the organisation like a business instead of the previous Old Boys Flying Club & Chook Raffle.

Many previously discarded Board Members have tried in the past but couldn't get the hard decisions past the OBC who either refused to recognise the issues or didn't have the balls or the ability to address the real problems of the organisation.

Geoff

• Agree 2

Good on you Andy, for posting the facts here.

Then why wasn't this stated in the news email? Whilst anyone with half a clue could work out the intent, it would have been better to have been up front with it in the first place.

• Agree 2

Guest Andys@coffs

Like I said, watch this space in coming weeks. I suspect we'll all be sick to death of talking about it shortly......We don't intentionally try to keep things secret, there are on the members portal financial reports showing actuals todate for this FY. Any of you, could have looked and seen the info I provided, and to be honest I hope you do look at it and check that what I've claimed makes sense in the financial actual reports. You seeing and understanding for yourselves is worth far more in understanding than me banging on....

Andy

Guest Andys@coffs
Andys@coffs' date=' post: 482243, member: 94[/email']]Today, whether you want a digital magazine or not, you cant have one, This decision fixes that and allows people to choose to incur the paper magazine expense or not, and allow for the costs associated by that decision to be borne by only by those that the expense relates to (User pays....Not the first time such an approach has and will be taken). For those that choose to accept a digital magazine only, then they will receive a $50 pa rebate. Those that choose (and its all about free choice) to continue with a paper magazine will have to pay the increased costs over todays costs as the fixed magazine printing costs are amortised across a smaller run volume.......

In rereading I wanted a bit more clarity.....If you choose to continue the paper magazine you will forgo the $50 rebate (so up for the $50 increase in membership fees) plus you will pay the delta between what the magazine costs today per person and what it will cost in the future given that the total print runs will be smaller and therefore more expensive on a per mag basis (so $50 membership fee increase plus $X for the mag, where X has to be determined yet based on expected takeup)

Again, the mention of $ is to illustrate the likely logical approach not the exact $ amounts...they will be determined closer to go live date. Given that the CEO is responsible for the exact implementation my explanation is to show general board intent, and it may be that what it looks like at go live is different to how I have explained.....The important part of my explanation is to make it clear that we have a significant financial problem, in the absence of action to rectify, and the magazine will rectify in a way that is likely most acceptable to the broad membership (which is not to be read as the totality, but rather the majority) and we don't see many/any alternate areas in the short term to find similar sized savings.

Andy

Although I still follow commercial and military aviation to some degree, it was only due to finding a copy of the magazine that I became interested in recreational matters. Otherwise I'd still be oblivious to the existence of RAA and the RP certificate. When factoring in circulation most publishers consider the value of the copy being passed on.

That I think is an understatement, especially when it comes to trying to improve membership by making people aware!

• Agree 3

In rereading I wanted a bit more clarity.....If you choose to continue the paper magazine you will forgo the $50 rebate (so up for the $50 increase in membership fees) plus you will pay the delta between what the magazine costs today per person and what it will cost in the future given that the total print runs will be smaller and therefore more expensive on a per mag basis (so $50 membership fee increase plus $X for the mag, where X has to be determined yet based on expected takeup)Again, the mention of $ is to illustrate the likely logical approach not the exact $ amounts...they will be determined closer to go live date. Given that the CEO is responsible for the exact implementation my explanation is to show general board intent, and it may be that what it looks like at go live is different to how I have explained.....The important part of my explanation is to make it clear that we have a significant financial problem, in the absence of action to rectify, and the magazine will rectify in a way that is likely most acceptable to the broad membership (which is not to be read as the totality, but rather the majority) and we don't see many/any alternate areas in the short term to find similar sized savings.

Andy

Since Andy has stated that RAA has a "financial problem" if RAA are to discontinue issuing monthly hard copy magazines to members only & instead make the online magazine available to members only, then how in the hell is RAA going to promote the organisation amongst young people who are the future of RAA( if it has one) & are non members, who would probably have read an old RAA magazine at an aero club or flight school? Common sense tells you that this is a head shrinkers brain wave idea that will probably come back to bite the RAA in the long run, than save its dwindling pennies.

Obviously RAA has to somehow drastically increase its membership asap otherwise it is going to sink rapidly & the RAA Board & the CEO has to immediately review its decision with regard to the hard copy of the magazine, otherwise RAA may not exist in there future .

Guest Andys@coffs

John

Young people have no issues in general with electronic magazines...in fact no issues with electronic anything....... Its my view that generating an electronic version of a our magazine is likely to garner more interest in the younger parts of our population than the paper copy does now..Ask any parent with teenage or 20's kids and Im pretty sure you'll get the same story.

WRT membership numbers, today we are steadily increasing our membership numbers, I suggest that you review the financial reports that the CEO places on the member portal, in his commentary on the financials he talks to membership and aircraft fleet growth each 1/4yr and you can get the exact percentage growth figures from his commentary.

Lastly there is an error of fact in your post, RAAus will not "discontinue issuing monthly hard copy magazines to members" we will set everyone up to receive an electronic copy and at the same time provide you with an online link to set up to continue getting a paper copy if you want that and are prepared to pay the cost for that. You have a choice, its up to you as to what you do. If you, like me, are of the generation that is likely to prefer paper then choose that if you want. We will not force you to do one thing or the other. If you act when we say you need to act then as I understand it you will never be forced to look at the electronic copy and should have absolute continuity in your paper copys....just that you'll get a paper copy about a month after you will already have had access to the electronic copy....More power to you if you can withstand the temptation to read the latest and greatest now but rather happy to wait a month....those that do take up the option of the electronic mag will have a month at the start where they get 2 mags in one month as they catch up the months delay of the paper one

Andy

JohnYoung people have no issues in general with electronic magazines...in fact no issues with electronic anything....... Its my view that generating an electronic version of a our magazine is likely to garner more interest in the younger parts of our population than the paper copy does now..Ask any parent with teenage or 20's kids and Im pretty sure you'll get the same story.

WRT membership numbers, today we are steadily increasing our membership numbers, I suggest that you review the financial reports that the CEO places on the member portal, in his commentary on the financials he talks to membership and aircraft fleet growth each 1/4yr and you can get the exact percentage growth figures from his commentary.

Lastly there is an error of fact in your post, RAAus will not "discontinue issuing monthly hard copy magazines to members" we will set everyone up to receive an electronic copy and at the same time provide you with an online link to set up to continue getting a paper copy if you want that and are prepared to pay the cost for that. You have a choice, its up to you as to what you do. If you, like me, are of the generation that is likely to prefer paper then choose that if you want. We will not force you to do one thing or the other. If you act when we say you need to act then as I understand it you will never be forced to look at the electronic copy and should have absolute continuity in your paper copys....just that you'll get a paper copy about a month after you will already have had access to the electronic copy....More power to you if you can withstand the temptation to read the latest and greatest now but rather happy to wait a month....those that do take up the option of the electronic mag will have a month at the start where they get 2 mags in one month as they catch up the months delay of the paper one

Andy

And that will be the death of Ra-Aus Andy... kids don't have the money to go flying.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Guest Andys@coffs

Win

If your right and Im wrong then we'll adjust our approach. The bottom line is that we are measuring and reporting on these things in the portal, people can see for themselves. We can only manage what we measure, the fact that we measure it is, IMHO an improvement over times of old

Andy