Sport Pilot Magazine

ave8rr

I have just received the March RAAus news letter which is advising that the "print" version of the Sport Pilot magazine is going to be an additional cost to members from Jul 15.

I will NOT read the mag via a computer screen and or print and read it (magazine).

I am sure the board can find other savings (Less board members and the associated costs for one) and keep the magazine delivered via the post to members. I am sure there are a lot of current members who continue to pay their membership fee just to get the mag?

Mike

• Agree 7

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never taken notice of how many bloody ads there are in our magazine until I had to sit and wait for them to download at low speed. I think it should compulsory for people with high speed internet to live on low speed for at least three months so they will fully appreciate what they are inflicting on the rest of us with changes like this. NBN is a pipe dream and content providers have to remember that!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative 1

I have never taken notice of how many bloody ads there are in our magazine until I had to sit and wait for them to download at low speed. I think it should compulsory for people with high speed internet to live on low speed for at least three months so they will fully appreciate what they are inflicting on the rest of us with changes like this. NBN is a pipe dream and content providers have to remember that!

I AGREE. It might be ok for members with high speed broad band. I am only 20km out of Bundaberg and we have been told we won't get fast broadband until 2018 at the earliest. Used to have a landline but Telstra agreed that paying $24.00 a month for 3 or 4 local calls was not economic so we disconnected.

Come on RAAus board, have a rethink on this one. Why should your country members pay more to get the magazine?

Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

the irony of writing that. how many hours a month do you spend online?http://issuu.com/sportpilotmagazine

Bloody awesome! I feel really bad for anyone who missed out on their NBN... personally I reckon the online mag is amazing...

Sadly the first thing I read from Michael Monck about competition indicates worrying about the Ra-Aus magazine is like worrying about a mosquito bite when you are being trampled by an elephant...

It appears that the writing is on the wall for RAA to eventually discontinue the hard copy of the Magazine altogether & only they can tell you what their future intention is, however if you were to ask them this question now, it is apparent that you would get a "Politicians Answer" in other words "BULLSHIX'.

It is obvious that the Dollars are just not in the bank & rather than increase annual membership fees they are going to make members pay extra if they want a hard copy of the monthly magazine.

Well as sure as night follows day every thing has an ending sooner or later, & it is apparent that the days of RAA are numbered whether you like it or not ,as we older members who know the organisation from the grass roots of the AUF up to its present status is rapidly on the path of self destruction. There will be members who will agree with this prediction & there will be members who disagree, & all one can say is that those members who disagree that RAA is not on the path of self destruction in the future , then they are obviously unable to see the wood for the trees.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

All I can say is that every club that I have ever been a member of has had a hard copy magazine. In my experience canning the Mag is the first step on a path of self destruction. Just mho.

• Agree 11

the mag isn't "canned" it's now a subscription if you want it in hard copy, or free to members in digital. Hardly the end of the world stuff.

Hopefully the CEO and Executive will show us the details at the upcoming GM in terms of how much the magazine costs to produce and mail out to members, how much it makes in advertising (and why that doesn't cover the cost of the Mag), how much we will be saving from the budget with subscription method and what increase in membership fee we are avoiding by going down this path.

Going digital is nothing new, a lot of organisations are going down this path. Embrace new technologies, done right the digital version may actually reach a wider audience and attract new members that don't go into newsagents browsing for magazines.

• Caution 2

the mag isn't "canned" it's now a subscription if you want it in hard copy, or free to members in digital. Hardly the end of the world stuff.

I'm not overly fussed either way, but it should be recognised that removing the hard copy mag from our subscription is tantamount to a significant increase in the membership fee.

• Agree 12

It might make sense if the online version didn't have all that advertising.

Then again the advertising is sometimes, in itself, a useful thing. Maybe compromise could be made by removing the large picture component of the advertising, (for the online version) which would speed up the process for our many country members who cannot get high speed internet?

• Informative 1

I'm not overly fussed either way, but it should be recognised that removing the hard copy mag from our subscription is tantamount to a significant increase in the membership fee.

Yes I agree with your point (an extra $84.70 per year at the current rate), maybe the membership fees need to be reduced to "counter' some of the increase in subscription (say $40 off?). We really need to know how much we are saving in real terms though to make judgement. The CEO seems to be switched on when it comes to finances so hopefully he will clue the members in at the GM.

I would like to see the figures in terms of:

• How much it costs to produce the magazine ready for digital/print (i.e. the staff/labour cost)

• How much it costs to print a copy of the magazine (Ideally in different quantities assuming the more copies the cheaper the price)

• How much it costs to mail out the printed copy

• How much is made from the advertising in the magazine currently

The proof will be in the numbers.

• Agree 5
  • Informative 1

Well, yes, as I happen to still like a hard copy magazine given that it's a little hard to sit an apple imac on my lap outside with a coffee!

Unless I have misunderstood, it seems a little 'off' having to pay extra for what I have already been receiving since day dot. Cut the wasted news stand copies, no probs there, but my membership gives me a mag that I look forward to each month, so find your savings elsewhere RAA or wind back the fees to compensate.

Removing member entitlements is not an ideal cost saving tactic I would think....

• Agree 9

The Dad's Army can kick and dance, but paper is on the way out.

This is a sore point for me as my great great great great grandfather, George Bertram invented the roller method of making paper, and sold paper making machinery around the world. Bertrams Ltd closed down in 1986.

• Winner 1
  • Caution 1

Removal of a benefit with no reduction in paid fees becomes a price increase by stealth. My membership included the magazine, so what has changed financially to alter this. Take away the magazine, give me the money back or call it for what it is, a fee increase by stealth...

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

Bloody awesome! I feel really bad for anyone who missed out on their NBN... personally I reckon the online mag is amazing...Sadly the first thing I read from Michael Monck about competition indicates worrying about the Ra-Aus magazine is like worrying about a mosquito bite when you are being trampled by an elephant...

hate mosquitos, love elephants. Give us an excuse not to worry about it by letting us know the state of the nation in simple terms that even I can understand...

• Agree 1

I'm not aware of the precise cost of the mag at the moment , but it was always a major cost. In theory it could attract a lot of advertising, but probably won't, and the returned copies from newsagents is a worry. It's something that has to be addressed (IMHO). Nev

I'm not aware of the precise cost of the mag at the moment , but it was always a major cost. In theory it could attract a lot of advertising, but probably won't, and the returned copies from newsagents is a worry. It's something that has to be addressed (IMHO). Nev

The mag was removed from the news stands some months ago Nev.

Mike

• Agree 2

Digital mag? Probably go the same as flight safety mag, much reduced readership. I am of the opinion my membership fees allow for a hard copy of the mag so if it is no longer provided then a reduction in membership fees should result?

• Agree 11

It's an argument you can use but fees have to cover costs at the end of the day. The CASA MUST compensate the RAAus for work it does on it's behalf, ( as well as indemnify it I believe) It's not something they should hold over your head to make you be a good little boy. (IF that is in any way happening). Nev

Digital mag? Probably go the same as flight safety mag, much reduced readership. I am of the opinion my membership fees allow for a hard copy of the mag so if it is no longer provided then a reduction in membership fees should result?

It has been made quite clear that pulling the hard copy magazine will only delay a fee increase, it won't and never was going to bring about a fee reduction. All it will reduce is the number of non-active pilot members who renew their membership next time it comes due.

• Agree 3
  • Caution 2

I am one of those who used to read the flight safety mag cover to cover when it arrived in the post. Even did the quiz. I have NEVER down loaded or read an electronic issue. This due to Internet speed and don't like reading via a computer screen.

• Agree 6