Will driving experience benefit flight training?

Hi all

I think my question/situation is a little bit of rare so I start this question and want to hear from you experience pilots.

I'm a 30+ migrant from China working as a software engineer for 10 years. Now I use my weekends taking flight training for Private Pilot Licence in Sydney. Currently I don't see any big problem with my training and probably in next couple of weeks I will have my first Solo. What concerns me is my past experience. I can say I'm rather a good programmer and writing code for computer(iPhone) is really different from driving or flying. My flight instructor tend to say (and I agree) I always fly with the exact numbers rather than make necessary adjustment according to situation outside. So I guess with the past 10 years indoor in-front-of-keyboard office life/experience. The more you get your life/experience aligned with computer/coding, the harder you could get out of it.

What's worse is I don't have any driving experience until two months ago I started to practice for my Australian driver's licence. Now I have my licence issued for one month and I still only drove four or five times with rented car. Though I love public transportation and I'm not that declined to own a car, now I start to thinking about the benefit of driving experience for my flight training. At least driving skills are accumulated with "hours" (which is the same as flying) and it will get me out of computer world.

Do you have any suggestion or advice on this? Thanks for reading and replying. Cheers~

P.S. if possible, my target is CPL one day.

i honestly dont think driving experience will make any real difference to you flying training, i learnt to fly before i could drive, and i had no disadvantage to other students that had drivers licences. about the only thing that might help is that driving will help with keeping your eyes outside the window. and not looking at the instrument panel.

• Like 2

It won't hurt... While the motor skills (hah) might not be directly translatable, you can certainly use the time to think about things like radio calls, maintaining accurate speed, multitasking, prioritising... etc...

• Like 1

It would disadvantage you as much as it would help. Some of it might be adverse Ie steering a car with the steering wheel turned to a fixed position will do a certain radius turn and go straight when centred. the (steering wheel ) in a plane is used to roll the aeroplane, and will tend to do that anytime it's not centred. SO once you roll it to a certain bank angle you stop the bank from increasing by centering the wheel but it keeps turning because it is banked. Like a bicycle. I've simplified that because you have to pull the stick back a bit too.

I don't think it helps at all except you might learn a bit about engines, brakes, forces and when you climb you need more power and when you go downhill you need less or none. Nev

• Like 2

Flight training will make you a better driver.....

I do find myself going through the "checks".

Aircon, "on".

Fan , "on-low".

Speed, "cruise-set"

Temp, "warm for takeoff...um driving"

• Like 3

Good question, KC. Like many rural Australians I started driving when a little kid. That, and crashing billycarts probably gave me a good grasp of how machines work and are controlled. Being mostly self-taught I don't concentrate on signs and sometimes miss speed zones, to my cost. My kid's husband- a city boy- didn't get his driver's licence till his late twenties. I'm probably better qualified than him at fixing breakdowns and getting thru boggy roads, but in traffic he may be a safer driver than me, having learned from a proper instructor.

Both approaches have their advantages. Get a good instructor, but do lots of hands-on work to develop a good understanding of how the plane works.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Anything that develops hand-eye coordination will help, but from what you write "I always fly with the exact numbers rather than make necessary adjustment according to situation outside" the issue is more related to dealing with unpredictable and changing situations. One of the first things I'd suggest is avoid computerised instrument panels and computer games and try things that have true depth of vision variations and the element of surprise. Maybe a fast motorbike!

• Agree 2

I have heard a saying that the worst drivers make the best pilots. Not sure how true that is...

I dont think driving experience will benefit flight training, they are very different things. But I will say one thing, I believe flying will benefit driving skills. I say this as a motorcyclist, because we are invisible to most people on the road, however the training you get as a PPL student and the understanding you get with the human factors involving the eye are great tools for on road use. Also, pilot training forces you into a mentality of using things like checklists, and interestingly this starts happening subconsciously when you get in the car!!

Anyway, enjoy both and take care. Both driving and flying will take can take you to some very special places in the country if.

• Agree 2

I don't know so much about driving, but I certainly think motorcycling could help.

But being new to both driving and flying, I think you may be better to concentrate more on your flying and stick to Public transport where possible at least until you get well into your flying.

Lionel Van Praghe was a great motorcycle rider and pilot The relationship between the two skills has been around for a while' Planes and bikes" seem to go together. Joe Petrali was the F/E on the Spruce Goose. Also a notable rider for Harley Davidson at the time.. Nev

kcommxx,

If you examine things critically, you will soon come to the conclusion that in Australia, the most time efficient ground transport is the car. If you are flying at Bankstown, you have to get a train to Bankstown Station, then either a bus or taxi to the airport. Using public transport prevents you from being in control of the timing of your movements. So, I suggest that you use public transport to get to and from work, but use a car to get around at other times.

You will definitely need to put in a lot of time developing your driving skills if you want to drive in Sydney traffic. You've got two months' experience in Sydney traffic. I've got over 45 years' experience, plus I've been through advanced driving courses. I find that I am making more use of the skills I have gained through experience in recent years than I did 10 years ago. That's how much more hectic it has become in Sydney.

In comparison, flying around Sydney is like a stroll in the woods.

OME

• Like 1

I don't think there are any skills common to driving and flying as far as operating the controls goes, and being a great driver doesn't mean you will be good pilot, or vice versa. Nor is not being able to drive necessarily a handicap. In fact, riding a bicycle is probably better training for flying than driving a car, because it requires balance and coordination. I think the most important transferable skill common to both driving and flying is situational awareness. You need to be aware of everything that is going on around you for both, but particularly when flying because you are moving in three dimensions and there are no visible roads or traffic signs to guide you in the air. Also, trying to fly as accurately as you can is good, but too much reliance on flying `by the numbers' without also trying to develop a `seat of the pants' feel for what the aeroplane is doing is not so good. Your eyes should be out of the cockpit most of the time. But that's what your instructor is there for. While some lucky people have a natural feel for flying, others have to work harder at it, but most people can learn given enough time and practice. Keep at it. One advantage of having your driver's licence is that it will make it easier to get to the airfield to go flying.

rgmwa

• Agree 1

Motorcycling is much closer to flying than driving a car. I describe flying to my biking mates as 'three dimensional motorcycling'.

And you'll get around in Sydney much quicker on a motorbike.

Bruce

Thank you all for providing insightful opinions. I will consider all of them. Probably as i continue to spend more time flying in Bankstown I will begin driving more.

One clarification I could make is that I didn't mean to use car driving help me improve flying skills and I know it's not possible. I just think/guess maybe driving experience can prevent some of my past and current IT/computer related working habbits making negative effects for flight training. That's the main point. Also I should get my language/English/communication ability some progress.

All in all, thanks for sharing ideas and further discussion appreciated :)

I guess this is a loaded question as the answers that you get can only be from those who either have driven or do drive/ride and those who do not. So realistically how can you get an accurate answer unless there has been a study done on this topic.

There are some studies that indicate push bike riding assists greatly with balance and coordination.

Why not try it out and do some flying 1 week after participating in driving activities and then do some with no driving and see how you feel or your instructor feels your flying lessons went for you.

the most important thing to do either driving riding or flying is enjoy the experience

• Like 1

Have you thought about getting yourself a quality flight sim setup?

I think he's trying to get away from computers, not spend more time on them.

Good on him for discovering there's a great big wide world out there that's not digital.

• Agree 3

I agree with all the Bike riders- closest thing to flying you get on the ground.

30 years of riding fast bike and driving cages in Sydney and beyond. Situational awareness is paramount on a bike and in the air. Bike riding teaches very quickly to keep ahead of the airframe so to speak- or bad things happen very quickly.

It teaches total awareness and does not suffer fools or inattention, or keeping your eyes on the

dash(VFR).

Balance and coordination are key skills and smoothness in control input is obvious and rewarded.

Pilot induced oscillation happens on bike as well and is often noted by a tank slapper or at worst a high side accident. Just like a aircraft every machine has a different feel and must be treated with respect and time to learn properly.

Just like a aircraft a simple mechanical problem can be a impediment to life. I do a pre-flight everytime I ride- this is just good practice- same for aircraft.

Car driving gives a sense of invincibility - hence the term cage drivers. If you ride or fly that way your career will be very short.

In short Riding is the best teacher here on the ground.

Having been a long time rider- I am fortunate enough to have never had a road accident- some luck but mainly skill and attitude.

I ride like any accident would be my fault- no matter what happens- always be vigilant and assume they have not seen me. Just like any aircraft in my airspace- see and avoid. I scan constantly and have a potential escape ready; ie somewhere to land on engine out.

I normally sum this up as-

PIANO theory- unless a Piano falls from the sky and hits me:: I should have seen it coming!

Yes, to me riding is flying on the ground.

Just a few thoughts.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Confucius say:

you live in Longreach where land flat as a pancake .......... driving no help

you live on hill, driving will help as more gravity management required ........... (assuming gearbox used [not many drivers] not brake pedal [most drivers])

Do you have any suggestion or advice on this? Cheers.

Hi kcomexx! The modern world needs software engineer`s and I suspect commercial aircraft of the future, will be more about software than they are today.

General Aviation is not my field, I have no suggestions or advice, only observations of a general nature... Over the years, I have flown numerous Ultralight aircraft, both, tail dragger and tricycle undercarriage, configuration.

While on the ground, tail wheel (tail dragger ) configuration, requires more rudder input, than the tricycle... To keep the tail dragger going in a straight line, more hand and foot coordination is required.

I rode and raced motor cycles for many years! I went to sea in boats for many years and I also drove machinery that required both hand and foot coordination! I found coordinating, hand and feet, in an Ultralight aircraft, no trouble at all.

To fly an Ultralight well, the feel and understanding of what the aircraft is doing and being able to go with what it is doing, is extremely important..... I`ve always believed that I gained the understanding of what is happening with the aircraft, from the experiences I gained in those other activities.

I don`t know how much assistance driving a motor car, would be to flying, other than, a high level of concentration is required in doing both.

Frank.

• Agree 1